Social Anxiety Idols - George Costanza-Seinfeld

Kim Bassinger doesn't have social anxiety does she? I think she has some sort of panic disorder... Yeah, I guess a few do have social anxiety... but really not that many. figures :)

IamThisOne

I like Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver, he doesn't really have social anxiety, but I could relate to just about everything he says in the movie about being lonely.

dottie

Charlotte in Mermaids

yes!! and...

greg focker
images

deb
z96041579.jpg

edward
images

oh yeah i don't know if these are idols so much as characters i can relate with.

Last edited:

UnOccupied

George sure gets a lot of pretty girls. For a fat, bald, habitually unemployed ******* he sure knows how to reel em in.

Hahah! Yeah, well that part of George must have influenced me subconsciously. No way a guy like George would do that well with the lady kind. But, on the other hand, i have seen uglier guys get lots of girls solely because they know how to relate to people so well.

UnOccupied

There's no celebrities that actually have social anxiety though, right? And I don't mean the characters that they play :p. I think oprah used to or has social anxiety.... but I don't really look up to her :/

OH yeah, raj from the big bang theory does have social anxiety... rofl. I guess for fictional characters, he's my favorite (I think hes the only character on tv that I've seen with sa :D)

I think theres many different kinds of Social Anxiety Disorder, but for the most part, my opinion is that if you can do something so socially overbearing as acting professionally, you DON'T have SAD. Ok, maybe the acting part is doable, bc you are taking over the role of another person, but what about after the fact, all the interviews, one on one convos with fans, directors, etc. There is no way a person with SAD would be able to handle all of that.

nightcrawler

dexter morgan :) from 'dexter' of course... he's not really socially phobic, he is just 'different', i guess, lol

I only got into Dexter about 4 months ago when a mate at work lent me the dvds and I absolutely loved it. Watched the first 3 seasons over a few months. Michael C Hall is simply brilliant as Dexter. Love the character, and can definitely relate to him (apart from the serial killing aspect obviously :D)

Other less obvious "loner" type characters I like are Dirty Harry (Yes, Dirty Harry! He's not shy but definitely a loner), Jason Bourne (ditto), Donnie Darko, some of the X-men characters, the girl in Fish Tank, and Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) in the brilliant Paris, Texas. These characters aren't necessarily shy, just loners or different.

On the theme of alienation I can't recommend highly enough a 90's tv show called "My so-called-life". Claire Danes is simply phenomenal as Angela Chase. She also does the inner-thoughts narration thing that Dexter does. The rest of the cast is also great. Unfortunately it only ran for one season (19 episodes), but you should be able to pick up the dvds pretty cheap now if interested.

Last edited:

UnOccupied

I only got into Dexter about 4 months ago when a mate at work lent me the dvds and I absolutely loved it. Watched the first 3 seasons over a few months. Michael C Hall is simply brilliant as Dexter. Love the character, and can definitely relate to him (apart from the serial killing aspect obviously :D)

Other less obvious "loner" type characters I like are Dirty Harry (Yes, Dirty Harry! He's not shy but definitely a loner), Jason Bourne (ditto), Donnie Darko, some of the X-men characters, the girl in Fish Tank, and Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) in the brilliant Paris, Texas. These characters aren't necessarily shy, just loners or different.

When it comes to alienation I can't recommend highly enough a 90's tv show called "My so-called-life". Claire Danes is simply phenomenal as Angela Chase. She also does the inner-thoughts narration thing that Dexter does. The rest of the cast is also great. Unfortunately it only ran for one season (19 episodes), but you should be able to pick up the dvds pretty cheap now if interested.

You all MUST read the books. They are WAY better than the show, if thats even possible. Haha, and with Michael C Hall in your head, its so easy to put a face you like on the character in the book your reading.

sevenroses

I don't know much about characters with SA but my idol would have to be Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind :)

agoraphobickatie

You all MUST read the books. They are WAY better than the show, if thats even possible. Haha, and with Michael C Hall in your head, its so easy to put a face you like on the character in the book your reading.

i'll definitely have to pick up the books! i've been looking for something new to read :)

Lost Girl

dexter morgan :) from 'dexter' of course... he's not really socially phobic, he is just 'different', i guess, lol
Yes! I agree with this one! Dexter is a character that feels he is out of place in the world, that he's not like everyone else, I definitely can relate to that! + Gawblimey I love that show! I have a dexter bobblehead in my car even haha:p

I started reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter and got bored very quickly...it was just too close to the show! It was like I was reading the script play by play and I was like "arggggh stuff wasting my time with this I'll just throw the dvd on!" Maybe I stopped reading before it got better, idk!

Kim Bassinger doesn't have social anxiety does she? I think she has some sort of panic disorder... Yeah, I guess a few do have social anxiety... but really not that many. figures
Kim Basinger had agoraphobia!

Edward Scissorhands<3333

I don't know much about characters with SA but my idol would have to be Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
I love that character too. And like someone else said, these people aern't so much idols, but just neat characters that I can relate to on some level =).

Oh one more, Leon/The professional. Love him! I've had the hugest crush on Jean Reno ever since I was little because of this movie haha :p He lived such a solitary life but let this little girl in...ahhh such a beautiful story, I could cry! Great movie. :)

leon.jpg

Gerdje

Agnetha Faltskög from ABBA, she suffers agoraphobia for many years now,
and ABBA has always been one of my top favorite bands.
4-004-004075-Agnetha-Faltskog.jpg

Slywire

I've always loved Jean Reno in Leon. Clearly uncomfortable around people and thus lives alone with his plant.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
So I tried really hard to think of anyone other than Fiona Apple, but really there isn't anyone. She doesn't suffer from SA per se, but she has plenty of stuff going on I can relate to. This is something she said on iTunes Originals. (Took me a while to copy it down.)

"In my head, my agenda was, you know, that everyone was now going to know me, and understand me, and be my friend,and I was going to be able to walk into a room and not feel so shy because everyone was going to know what kind of person I was and how I was feeling inside. So that is what I was kinda what I was thinking about then, and, um, it didn't turn out the way I expected it to turn out. It was very difficult to find that instead of becoming very understood and accepted I became so wildly misunderstood for a while and felt so unaccepted that it, um, really screwed with my head for a while, it really, really did. I mean, I'm a very, very sensitive person. I was miserable and I'm not very, I'm not an extremely social creature, and definitely was not one back then, um, and I was very sad person and I was having a lot of trouble handling things. Ummm, I look back on that and I would never want to go back to that period of time, ever."

UnOccupied

^^ Like someone who you look up to, in your quest to overcome social anxiety. Like, when i look at George talk in Seinfeld, i idolize the way he socializes. He never hesitates to speak his mind, he is comfortable with himself(for the most part), and he handles problems head on, and he talks about all of his problems as they happen, without holding anything back. So, i wouldn't necessarily want to be like George, but i just idolize many of his attributes as a person.