Skipping invitations from friends?

HeadFace

Ugh... I had to lie to my friend today about being sick. I dont mind social events, or casually hanging out with the few friends I manage to keep. It's just I hate groups. It was a thanksgiving party, of about 15. Really, I get anxious from just being around more than 2 - 3 people at a time. She knows about my social disorders, but I dont think she gets it. So instead of coming I lied and said that I'm extremely ill.
I don't know if I'm asking for advice, maybe I just wanted to vent. But I appreiate any.
Also am I the only one who's lied to get out of social events or anything like that?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I actually did something along those lines today. I was planning on visiting a friend today but he said he was going to have other people over that I didn't know over (and they would all be drinking while I didn't). He said I was more then welcome to come over and could tell he wanted me too, but we instead rescheduled until tomorrow when it will be just us.

In that case I didn't lie, but in the past he's wanted to do stuff and I've said I need to get home and sleep or that I have lots of homework and stuff like that.

just wanna b normal

i dont think thats a good idea you shoundnt avoid social situations or you cant overcome your fear of socializing face your fears live to learn improve your social skills...but yeah iv done that before but it was a mistake i regret cuzz i didnt learn a damn thing from staying at home.

Smurfette

Just today my friend was supposed to come over and her car broke down and instead of me going to pick her up I just cancelled. It seems to me if there's a way out, I take it. But that's not always good...plus hard to get out of that routine...

sevenroses

I feel the same way right now. I guess you don't really have to go if you really don't want to. It's nice to rest your head once in a while. I know it might not be the best advice.

I do this alot. Because when I go out with a friend (could be anything, social event, cinema, or just hang at my place or their place) But, the day before it comes, I feel a huge anxiety coming up like, Oh no.. Tomorrow somebody will be here, I need to pretend and present myself as a fun person and not make a fool out of myself. Because, I never seem depressed when friends are around. Because I'm afraid of showing the real insecure person I am.
But in fact, I'm feeling nervous so much around them. But I just try to act confident and not show my vulnerable insecurities. Because I hate showing them. So I'd rather not be in a group, because I can't handle that. Only 1 to 1, or a few people like 2, 3, 4. But it also depends which people there are gonna be in the group. Because, family members doesn't make me really afraid.. It's like, how more I see people, how more I feel safe around them.. And how more I talk with them, how more I know I can trust them.
But In the past I had a group of friends, 8 people. We had so much fun (sleepover parties, swimming, shopping, laughing in the break of school) , but now it's just all gone. We falled apart, because we went to different schools, sadly. But I can't imagine I was so loud and outspoken about things, I didn't care what they think. I was never so self concious about myself like I do now. But I still remember birthday parties in the past, I was terrified to go. It just goes with ups & downs, I'm not always having anxiety problems, sometimes it's going really good. I feel comfortable and relaxed around people, if I know it's alright.
But with strangers, and new people, and people who show a very lack of respect, yup. I notice them judging me.
But I did Skip invitations form friends too much, and now I won't anymore, because I know I need to count on my friends, and the important thing is, they have to count on me, because I don't want to lose them. :)

Blaze

I would skip events with my friends all the time. A lot of times I would just ignore the phone calls. Other times I would have to lie to them cause a family member picked up the phone or something.

The last time I went to a friends B-Day party I had to listen to like 5-6 old friends complaining about how I never do anything anymore and that I need a life. Now nobody invites me anymore so I don't have to avoid these situations anymore. Depressing.

--- w00t 100 posts!

MaliceInWickedland

I do that quite often. Whenever my friends invite me, they tend to invite other people I'm not very well acquainted with as well and that makes things all the more nerve wracking for me. Just the thought that I have to be around people I don't know makes my stomach tie up in knots.

Since tomorrow's Thanksgiving, I had to shoot down not only my friends, but my family and made up some dumb excuse like "My mom and I are going up to Big Bear and spending the week there so we won't be able to make it." My mom doesn't enjoy big gatherings either so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the family who feels this way.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yeah I definitely do that a lot... with people who doesn't know me well. But I don't say I'm sick, I just don't answer the phone. However, with close friends, I just say I don't feel like seeing anyone or I'm tired and they understand.

Section_31

I did this with a childhood friend...and unfortunately were just not friends anymore. Makes me sad when i think about it.

My knee-jerk reaction to unexpected offerings to is to automatically say no, or that im working, or somthing. I do it without thinking. Or sometimes i wont give a straight answer untill i know where were going and whos there. If its a "safe" place, like my favourite resteraunt or somthing then i say yes, i feel more comfortable, but if someone is there that i dont know, or if its someplace ive never been, i tend to sometimes clam up. other times not.

Snowdrop

I've done it before, lots of times I've wormed myself out of social situations. I get uncomfortable if it's even 2 people because then I feel left out. If it's one person I feel like all they'll have to concentrate on is me, so I don't feel as if I don't exist. Then that does have the possible rebound of thinking I'm really boring them.
Anyway I really was dreading going to this party next week and I still am, I was thinking frantically of any excuse I could give but then I chose to go for a few reasons, if I don't I'll look stupid since it's a friend's birthday and everyone else will go resulting in me feeling even MORE left out so I thought what was the point in that.
It hurts when I lie though because each time it is like a reminder that I'm like 'this', I'm in this situation and I've gone so far as to lie. But I try not to think so negatively about it. So don't worry, you're far from alone.

Just G

I've done the same exact things that everyone else has mentioned on here, and honestly, the only piece of advice that I can give you is to just do it.

When you have SA, you build up all these negative "what if" situations.

Worrying never gets you anywhere, and most of time it just increases the anxiety.

So grit your teeth, grin and bear it, and pretty soon as you become exposed to social interactions, you'll become more adept to handling whatever comes your way. Who knows? A cool little story can come from your experience. You could come to enjoy it. You never know, but you have to prove to yourself that your line of thinking is irrational.

yeah, guilty here.

When i was younger, the only thing that kept me going out was I had a bad friend who forced me out. not in a god way. it was weird, but i let him have control over me for some dumb reason.

I have friends sometimes who will come over but i never go out with them and they just stop asking. I am working on getting better though.

its hard though, cuz like like one time, a couple invited me and my wife out to dinner. then like 8 other people showed up. i freaked. it was really hard and very awkward. we were dressed up and no one else was and i look horrible when i dress up.

so i avoid phone calls and worm out too. i dunno. i hate it but i yeah.

HeadFace

yeah, guilty here.

When i was younger, the only thing that kept me going out was I had a bad friend who forced me out. not in a god way. it was weird, but i let him have control over me for some dumb reason.

I have friends sometimes who will come over but i never go out with them and they just stop asking. I am working on getting better though.

its hard though, cuz like like one time, a couple invited me and my wife out to dinner. then like 8 other people showed up. i freaked. it was really hard and very awkward. we were dressed up and no one else was and i look horrible when i dress up.

so i avoid phone calls and worm out too. i dunno. i hate it but i yeah.
Oh man, I've been in the exact same situation as you (The part about you being invited over by a couple). A friend from a different school invited me to hang out after school with her and like 3 other people. I was alright with it, since I at least somewhat knew 2 of the other 3, and was really good friends with the other. But when I came there was 7 other people. At first I was thinking "Oh man, how could you do this to me! I thought there were only going to be a few other people!". But I just kept sticking around the people who I was closest to the whole time. It was still a bit awkward though, when I wasn't with them.

I've done the same exact things that everyone else has mentioned on here, and honestly, the only piece of advice that I can give you is to just do it.

When you have SA, you build up all these negative "what if" situations.

Worrying never gets you anywhere, and most of time it just increases the anxiety.

So grit your teeth, grin and bear it, and pretty soon as you become exposed to social interactions, you'll become more adept to handling whatever comes your way. Who knows? A cool little story can come from your experience. You could come to enjoy it. You never know, but you have to prove to yourself that your line of thinking is irrational.
Yeup. I'm trying to do something like this. But I just can't handle being with a group of strangers. I'll totally clam up and crawl back into my little shell. Though, if it's actually with some friends, I've become a lot better with it and can handle it quite a bit more. If I'm meeting someone for the first time, in a group, you won't hear a word out of me.

In other words, a friend invited me to hang out at this shopping center today. I felt guilty in the end, but still didn't want to go. Because the friend that invited me is probably my closest friend - She's my only friend who I don't actually feel shy or anxious around. But I didnt want to be around the other people she invited (about 5 or 4 people who I've never met in my life).
So in the end I said I couldn't because my grandparents are coming over (They actually were planning to, but I just didn't want to go :( )

HeadFace

Only if they invite people I don't know.
Yeah. I'll only go under certain circumstances; Which are...
I know everyone going
There's only a few people going, and not a whole circle of friends (which is usually like 7 - 10 people)
Almost every time. Even if I promise the day before.
I don't think you should completely ditch if you already promised. It's just kinda impolite.
I always do that. Every time I get an invitation to something, I make up an excuse to get out of going to it.
And I don't think every time is healthy (Unless you enjoy being alone, then I don't see anything wrong with declining an invitation.)