Shut down your computer, beat your SA!

dottie

i srsly need to unplug from the matrix.

it definitely won't help my social anxiety but there are other reasons... like art. and clearing the mind.

mrb

There is some truth to what Commenter is saying, but I'm not here because I lack friends or because I don't have a social life. I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy it. I think that there are a lot of great people on this site. If only we all lived together in our own little community. :D

in little mud huts :) all huddled together round a big open fire ... with sing songs and stuff :)

LaLaLa

i'm on the comp pretty much all day while taking some breaks in between. there's really not mcuh else for me to do at home, and even when i'm at a friend's place, i'd still go on the comp for a while (unless someone was watching over me)... i love getting online, even if i'm not doing much on the net. i dont think that being on the computer less would make me any more productive... actually, i think i rely on it too much to do most of my work. ::eek:: i'm sure that even if i did have a social life i'd still be on spending a lot of time on the computer as long as i'm home by the evening.

xSleepy

I think it s not wise to hang out on this site or any other.Ask yourself how many hours are u with your computer in a day.There are lots of ways to beat SA, lots of entries written here have a point but if u do not shut your computer or tv it s not gonna work.Internet s not real u can get information updates here but u cannot socialize, u gotta go out show yourself, just try it.Noone s gonna beat it just writing here or sitting in own room and sleeping daytime.
First step is not to reply this thread:)

Sorry but I don't agree with you. Maybe that would work with some people but not me. The only thing that would do is get my lazy ass to clean my room. And maybe play with my pets.

But I have social anxiety along with agoraphobia. And at this time I literally have no resources for getting help. No amount of posts on this thread nor books or information will do anything for me. What I need is help from another human being, and no one can help me right now.

So for me being online or watching tv really isn't doing any harm. And since I am online quite a lot I have tried to do what I can to work on my anxiety. Doing things such as camming with complete strangers. That's something that makes me extremley anxious. I try relaxing techniques and doing positive self talk. It's really helped and it makes me feel better about interacting with people in real life.

spect01

I think it s not wise to hang out on this site or any other.Ask yourself how many hours are u with your computer in a day.There are lots of ways to beat SA, lots of entries written here have a point but if u do not shut your computer or tv it s not gonna work.Internet s not real u can get information updates here but u cannot socialize, u gotta go out show yourself, just try it.Noone s gonna beat it just writing here or sitting in own room and sleeping daytime.
First step is not to reply this thread:)

I don't come on this site every day. I started doing this already. I cut down on internet time alot. And it works wonders. Some people just won't do anything. They stay idle in self denial. I still don't have a social life but I'm not almost a mute anymore either.

Last edited:

commenter39

^All I'm saying, is that I think it's a bit hypocritical to tell others not to be on the computer when you're on here yourself.

Whether you believe it or not, chatting to people online helps me, and probably helps others too. After interacting with people I've met on here, I find I'm much less nervous in social situations, and can actually go out again. It gives me confidence that I certainly didn't have before.

So yes. If this is living in my own box, I do enjoy it, because it has helped me more than anything else ever has.

Better be a hypocrite like me than a mouse like u.

philly2bits

Better be a hypocrite like me than a mouse like u.

If you have a problem with what someone has said I suggest you report it and follow up with the mods or else say nothing at all instead of resorting to insults.

That goes for everyone else as well. Keep on topic and no more insults or I'll have to lock this thread.

Last edited:

Iseesky

I hear this all the time. Folks telling shy or socially anxious people that if they only left their house and got off their computer or stopped watching so much tv, everything would be better.

It's really not the case. People here have jobs which require them to be in public for quite a long time during the day and it hasn't helped them. Sites like this are wonderful in moderation. This site (along with other SA related sites) completely helped cure the worst of my social anxiety. Why? Because I felt supported. I heard other people's stories and it gave me confidence. I think sites like these do much more good than bad.

zav943

Before my near-breakdown last week, I would've agreed with that, but this website is a great place to get support and connect with people who share the same problem as you. You have no clue how comforted I feel when i read some of the posts here...

It really helps when you know you're not alone out there. So thanks for the advice, but I'll stick around ;)

THE-INTROVERT

man u havnt got a clue its not that easy i live in a small town with drugs and drink everywere i dont care if someone calls me a loser for not drinking or smoking weed every weekend then there the ones that need help im a peaceful person and want peace and quiet

Kiwong

I disagree that turning off the computer will beat SA. For some people the internet can provide critical support they need. It can often the only way that they can comfortably reach out to find help.

I find that the internet can be very helpful, a way of reaching out to the world. You can network with people via blogs, facebook and forums. I think that this is hugely beneficial.

I use my home computer a lot, in many constructive ways. Of course the internet can be a blessing but also a curse depending on how you use it.

I have raised money for charity through the computer, I have kept a blog that helps and inspires people recovering from knee pain. I have made friends on facebook and forums with people who share my passion- running. I enter races on my computer, book travel and accomodation for my running adventures. There are the results and photos of my races on the internet. My photos of wildflowers, and my short stories are published on the internet. I can edit and store my photos on my computer, and look at them to bring me joy.

The OP presumes that visitors to these forums do not get out into the world.

In my case, I get out and run 40 miles a week, I run in races with thousands of people, I mix with a local running community. Even though I find this difficult I still put myself out into the world, sometimes a great risk to my emotional well being.

I'm also a botanist, and I get out into nature and survey plants, sometimes with people I am unfamiliar with.

I am very active and have achieved alot both using my computer andout in the real world despite my anxiety.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

That's a really nice thought lol, but not being on the internet will certainly not help my SA lol. I've only had the internet for a little over 2 years & I've had SA my whole life. The only difference between now & before I had internet is that I was much lonelier then.

Last edited:
Shutting down my computer and beat my SA? You can still beat SA without shutting down your computer. I didn't get online just to troll on this site. Example: listening to music, streaming movie, researching for information, downloading and there is just a lot of stuff you can do online. Include chatting with my family from other state. I see that you're still here... I thought, you throw away your computer and enjoy your life without computer...