Saying the wrong things and forgetting things during a conversation

Nathália

When I talk to people many times I do say the wrong thing to them; not on purpose. I was talking to a lady in the store about school and I told her I wanted to be a sociologist because I couldn't even think of what I was going to school to be. I didn't correct myself because I couldn't think of the right thing until the conversation finished. I had one of those moments where my brain was not up to speed.

I did it the other day ordering my food, I forgot to put the condiments on my sandwich and I remembered it after I pulled out my wallet and I was too scared to speak up. Lucky for me that sandwich was delicious if not better. I don't like to stutter in front of people, my stuttering is horrible. I do take it slow, maybe it's my nerves. I wasn't extremely nervous, just a little bit. Do you say the wrong things and forget things sometimes? How do you handle it?

Sometimes, but not all the time I do it to avoid freezing because I can freeze for a long time. I rather exude fake confidence and fake it to make it, than to stand there, turn reddish and start shaking because people can be cruel and not be understanding of anxiety. I pretend to be confident so my body want give into those symptoms.

I did it the other day ordering my food, I forgot to put the condiments on my sandwich and I remembered it after I pulled out my wallet and I was too scared to speak up. Lucky for me that sandwich was delicious if not better.

I know how this works. Even if it's something more extreme, I can't speak up.

dottie

all the time! sometimes the wrong word just comes out of my mouth. depending on the company, i will either let it go or correct myself... but correcting myself usually leads to stumbling over more words.

MNM322

yes, i do this alot... this is why i get so nervous when things are going well... and then bam! i ruin it... because i overthink everything and ya...

Foxface

I get that too. I also say jibberish words, and and my mind get stuck when trying to explain things, so much of the info, dosen't get out.

U

user deleted

Yeah.. and I have problems controlling the pitch, tempo etc of my speech.

laure15

When I speak too fast, I can stutter and say the wrong things, so I tell myself to take it slow. Speaking slowly can make other people feel impatient, but I would rather speak slowly than make a fool out of myself.

Sometimes, I do forget what I need to say in a conversation, but instead of speaking up, I let it slide and try to tell myself that it isn't all that important. I would wait for the person to initiate the conversation again before I bring it up.

MotherWolff

Banned
Yeah that happens to me all the damn time. There are things that I think of saying AFTER the conversation is over. Then I'm like, " Man! I should have said that!" Then I end up hating myself for not saying something, like in an argument or confrontation. Or when I go to see my psychiatrist or doctor, I forget to ask them very important questions. It just pisses me off. Why is it that we can speak better by text than with words?

MikeyC

Or when I go to see my psychiatrist or doctor, I forget to ask them very important questions.
This has happened numerous times with my therapist. It'll get to the end of our session and I haven't talked about 10 things I was planning to get through. I now make a list on my iPhone.

It just pisses me off. Why is it that we can speak better by text than with words?
With text, we can think and articulate our words better than having to come up with immediate responses. Some people are good at that, where others aren't.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I either go mute or stutter, but it doesn't happen around strangers so much anymore... it happens a lot around those I'm close with. The closet the person is, the worse it gets. I don't know why.

MotherWolff

Banned
This has happened numerous times with my therapist. It'll get to the end of our session and I haven't talked about 10 things I was planning to get through. I now make a list on my iPhone.

With text, we can think and articulate our words better than having to come up with immediate responses. Some people are good at that, where others aren't.

Yes, yes! The whole therapy talking is a very hard thing to do when you can't even think of what to say. My mind goes totally blank. And that's a great idea, making a list on your iphone. I'm going to do that too from now on. Thanks for the advice, Mikey.

Yeah, for me text is much easier than actually talking. I usually have more time to think of what I want to say. Although sometimes I am expected to text faster by the person I'm texting to. Sometimes I can even text to more than one person at the same time. This is very hard for me to do in person unless they're people I know well.

I either go mute or stutter, but it doesn't happen around strangers so much anymore... it happens a lot around those I'm close with. The closet the person is, the worse it gets. I don't know why.

I'm like this with some of the people I'm close with too but not usually. Hey, I do feel your pain.....

MikeyC

Yes, yes! The whole therapy talking is a very hard thing to do when you can't even think of what to say. My mind goes totally blank. And that's a great idea, making a list on your iphone. I'm going to do that too from now on. Thanks for the advice, Mikey.

Yeah, for me text is much easier than actually talking. I usually have more time to think of what I want to say. Although sometimes I am expected to text faster by the person I'm texting to. Sometimes I can even text to more than one person at the same time. This is very hard for me to do in person unless they're people I know well.
Glad I could help. :) The list helps me out because I can remember what I was going to say.

Don't worry about being forced to text faster. Do it at your own pace. There's no time limit. :)

With text, we can think and articulate our words better than having to come up with immediate responses. Some people are good at that, where others aren't.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true! Most of the time when a friend introduces me to someone, I just stand there and smile, nodding my head, incoherent to the entire conversation and I feel that they don't like me much:sad:.

neohorizon

i'm glad you created this thread. This is my worst problem nowadays, i think is called "Brain Fog", right?

From wikipedia:
The significant clinical features of subsyndromal delirium are inattention, thought process abnormalities, comprehension abnormalities, and language abnormalities.