Romance

Is romance dead?

• Yes

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 69.7%

• Total voters

Rembrandt Broam

But now it's just people giving anonymous love letters to the person that they've got a crush on. Not what I would describe as romance.

Depends if you're already in a relationship or not. If you are, then it's the perfect time to show your romantic side.

emre43

I posted a variation of this in the 'Texts, Poems, Dreams, Phrases...' forum. What do you think of it?

Your beauty to me is beyond compare,
Your face, your eyes, your long, black hair,
At a time in my life when I felt scared,
You’ve always listened, you’ve always cared.

Kindness like yours is not easily found,
Long lost and buried beneath the ground,
In a world full of darkness, you shine so bright,
Just like a firefly deep in the night.

I’ve cherished every word you’ve spoken,
In this society creaking and broken,
You’ve always made me feel so warm,
Like a bright ray of light you’ve calmed this storm.

There is no picture I could take,
Nor no sculpture I could make,
That could give justice to your face,
Full of life and full of grace.

If only you knew my feelings for you,
They are so strong, they are so true,
If only you knew quite what you mean to me,
And how big a smile that you bring to me...

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Back in high school, I remember after school once during a track practice I saw a guy serenading a girl with a guitar and Beatles covers. I just thought it was the sweetest thing I ever saw.

I like romance, it feels ooey-gooey to watch, and I would assume to execute, but at the end of the day I think it reaps great rewards for everyone involved :)

lonely_drummer

To me personally romance isn't dead, I'm a hopeless romantic but I do feel that it is dying with the general public, now we are seen as corny or trying too hard but damn what do you expect when a girl effects you that much and is always on your mind?

Feathers

Maybe romance is tuning in to and giving what the other person really wants, which may or may not fit with the flowers, chocolate, serenading picture. She might just want a mango (i would)

LOL I think this is true - it's about getting to know the other and showing them love with the acts/words of appreciation and respect... that they understand as such.
(sometimes this can be easier of more difficult lol)

I mean, I'd probably flip if someone would try to 'buy' my love with gifts, while not appreciating my opinion in some important things... For me, genuine respect and discussing relevant things, making decisions together etc. is more important than any 'gifts' or such...

emre43

I mean, I'd probably flip if someone would try to 'buy' my love with gifts, while not appreciating my opinion in some important things... For me, genuine respect and discussing relevant things, making decisions together etc. is more important than any 'gifts' or such...

But what if they offered you both?

da_illest101

I personally am not a romantic person, every time I had to do something romantic it felt awkward and I hated it. I can show that I care if I truly do and buy gift, but be romantic just not in me

Feathers

But what if they offered you both?

It depends what the gift is :) haha

(I'm for eco-friendly zero waste gifts, so that can make it a bit difficult too, even flowers from flower shops can be 'iffy', picked at the meadow can be better :) )

There can be great non-material gifts though, or very targeted - if you really know what the person wishes (or with gift lists), it can be a great idea... (Mostly, it's the thought that counts - I've gotten too many horrible gifts from relatives or such, so I'm just not very into gifts...)

Basically, you have to know the person really well and know what s/he appreciates (or could potentially get freaked out by lol)

I think people interpret Romance differently too - for some, it can be more 'mainstream', for some, more 'edgy/funny' etc. (laughing/smiling or 'joking around' together etc.)

Feathers

I posted a variation of this in the 'Texts, Poems, Dreams, Phrases...' forum. What do you think of it?

Your beauty to me is beyond compare,
Your face, your eyes, your long, black hair,
At a time in my life when I felt scared,
You’ve always listened, you’ve always cared.

Kindness like yours is not easily found,
Long lost and buried beneath the ground,
In a world full of darkness, you shine so bright,
Just like a firefly deep in the night.

I’ve cherished every word you’ve spoken,
In this society creaking and broken,
You’ve always made me feel so warm,
Like a bright ray of light you’ve calmed this storm.

There is no picture I could take,
Nor no sculpture I could make,
That could give justice to your face,
Full of life and full of grace.

If only you knew my feelings for you,
They are so strong, they are so true,
If only you knew quite what you mean to me,
And how big a smile that you bring to me...

A beautiful poem, you have a gift for poetry...

It also makes me think that if I were the girl addressed here it would feel like 'enormous pressure' lol! Beauty can fade... 'always' is a tricky word too... usually girls have 'ups and downs' too, especially if you live together with someone...

In a way, this girl is lucky to have your appreciation and your love... do try to not idealize people though, it can feel 'lonely' on a pedestal, or undearneath one.. if you understand?

KiaKaha

Banned
Does anyone else find it completely unnecessary and cringe worthy to see someone change their facebook status from single to "in a relationship with..." I mean...congrats and all that...but is the announcement of your love life really that crucial?

alwaysrunning

Romance, intimacy in the feelings sense sometimes does make me cringe. I mean I'm a somewhat distant individual in person though online it may not appear that way. I always avoid romance, relationships, in other words any kind of intimacy. though it wasn't until i was avoided when i sought that the situation made me take a double look at my behaviors. Im still uncomfortable with the closeness involved in romance however it can't be all that bad if so many people seek it right? The question i should be asking is why do i avoid it?

Kiwong

But now it's just people giving anonymous love letters to the person that they've got a crush on. Not what I would describe as romance.

I don't think so. The last time I looked at the paper on Valentines it was full of declarations of love and romance from people seemingly in relationships.

Silatuyok

Does anyone else find it completely unnecessary and cringe worthy to see someone change their facebook status from single to "in a relationship with..." I mean...congrats and all that...but is the announcement of your love life really that crucial?

I think it's just as important as anything else that people post about on Facebook.

coyote

Yeah.. I guess so... I am not really a fan of facebook though, particularly in the way that it is used, as opposed to the site itself.

but see, you can choose to use it a different way

most of the people i know, and with whom i associate on Facebook, don't use it the way so many people on this forum describe it

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
but see, you can choose to use it a different way

most of the people i know, and with whom i associate on Facebook, don't use it the way so many people on this forum describe it

yeah.. I mean of course there is nothing wrong with facebook essentially...most people use it sensibly.. but there is an element to it that just doesnt sit right with me.. which I wont go into because I dont want to detract from the OP's original intent for the thread.... but I think you know what I mean.

It's just my opinion though. Each to their own.

vexatiousmind

I agree with what a lot of people have said in here.

Romance is more about making someone feel special and loved, than about gifts or doing things like in the movies.

emre43

A beautiful poem, you have a gift for poetry...

'always' is a tricky word too... usually girls have 'ups and downs' too, especially if you live together with someone...

Thank you.

I suppose always is a tricky word to use but if I were to write 'You've sometimes listened, you've sometimes cared' it doesn't quite have the same ring to it, haha.

Last edited: