Romance

Is romance dead?

• Yes

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 69.7%

• Total voters

emre43

Ok, so in hindsight I made a mistake when I used the word chivalry in my other thread; I meant romance rather than chivalry. I have lazily copy-and-pasted my opening post from the other thread but altered it to make sense in this one. I was just wondering what your opinions are on romance, rather than chivalry; both guys and gals.

I'm not into pubs and clubs and all that stuff. I prefer romantic restaurants, strolling down a quiet Mediterranean promenade as the sun sets in the horizon and things like that.

When I eventually enter a relationship with a girl I want to make her know how special she is to me; I want her to be my soulmate, my best friend. To quote Donny Osmond :D "I'm just a little old fashioned, it takes more than a physical attraction".

I miss the days of courtesy and respect and manners and romance. I want my partner to be somebody incredibly special to me and I want to make sure that she knows it as well. I want to come home from work and every now and then surprise her with some flowers or chocolates. I want to have somebody who I can come to when I'm feeling blue to talk things through with and know that they they can trust me to do the same for them. I want to serenade my potential love interest with my six string and some beautiful romantic love songs, such as:

Elton John ~ Your Song - YouTube

Lucky Jim - Lovely to me - YouTube

Clifford T Ward - Scullery - YouTube

Bob Dylan - Make you feel my love (Original Bob Dylan Version) - YouTube
(Chose the Dylan version over Adele's because I'm a massive fan of his) :D

If I was more intelligent I would write some of my own (I've only got a title so far lol).

An additional question is do you want romance in a relationship?

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I don't think romance is dead, but the whole thing of guys being incredibly romantic is not a big deal to me anyways.

I'm not saying being romantic is wrong, not at all, but if I were in a relationship, I wouldn't want a guy to be over the top. I don't need flowers or chocolate to make me happy. I would never expect (nor really want) a guy to take me out all formally to some sort of fancy restaurant or perform a song for me.

A guy could easily just make me something with his own hands, a drawing, a card, cook me dinner (I'm a challenge, and I would be incredibly impressed if they succeeded without my help. ::p:), even write me a heartfelt letter, and that would make me happy. Or he could just be up for spending the night watching movies (including the animated ones) and playing video games. To me, that would be more romantic than buying me something expensive or being all fancy.

Although I will add I do love sunsets and long walks on the beach. ;)::p:

MrJones

I like this thread better. I am a romantic and I always thought it was very important to let that special someone that "How wonderful life is while you're in the world". I really love that song (Your song), especially after meeting someone. I want to make her feel loved. I want her to feel how special she is to me and how important is she in my life. I just want to share my life and I want to her to share her life with me.

I think it can be a problem sometimes, though. After meeting someone I cannot think about anyone else. It's like I belong to the 18-19th century (the Romantic period): "Cravings for passionate love, the desire for happiness and the possession of the infinite, caused in the Romantics a disheartenment, an immense disappointment that sometimes brought them to suicide".

SAM2011

Banned
I like this thread better. I am a romantic and I always thought it was very important to let that special someone that "How wonderful life is while you're in the world". I really love that song (Your song), especially after meeting someone. I want to make her feel loved. I want her to feel how special she is to me and how important is she in my life. I just want to share my life and I want to her to share her life with me.

I think it can be a problem sometimes, though. After meeting someone I cannot think about anyone else. It's like I belong to the 18-19th century (the Romantic period): "Cravings for passionate love, the desire for happiness and the possession of the infinite, caused in the Romantics a disheartenment, an immense disappointment that sometimes brought them to suicide".

I am the same too. I'm very much a romantic type of girl and what you described is what I like. I think it depends on the guy too. I don't think some men know how to be romantic, maybe its got to do with their social skills? I know some of my friends with some amazing men and it makes me jealous because I wish I could find a guy like that. :)

Silatuyok

I feel like my bf is very romantic in tons of tiny little every day ways, and I think I don't make enough effort in return. Maybe I'm just not giving myself enough credit, but I feel like I've let that slide in the past year. Is it romantic to let your partner get a dog?? lol.
Anyway, maybe this could be my new year's resolution--to make more effort at being romantic.

she1slander

:D It's nice to read posts like these where people admit to being romantic, especially guys because I think nowadays people tend to associate the word to something cheesy or sappy like some old chick-flick movie (new chick flicks these days have a different take on what's "romantic" and more driven on sex, etc.) and Shakespeare. I think it would be great to meet a guy who wants to show his romantic side so that a girl feels special. One day I was talking to a friend about my nephews who love to sing, then suddenly she told me that her sister gets serenaded by one of my nephews. Not often do you hear that a guy does that to girls. Reciting a bit of lines from Romeo & Juliet is gonna make him stand out from all the other guys who are just a little boring and lack creativity. No offense but most guys I've met do not know what else to talk about and seem to care about nothing else but sports. :rolleyes:

But there is also a downside to that too. I'm sure guys who are romantic are prone to obsessing about wanting to be in a relationship and are most likely to get depressed about losing the affection of that person.

she1slander

I feel like my bf is very romantic in tons of tiny little every day ways, and I think I don't make enough effort in return. Maybe I'm just not giving myself enough credit, but I feel like I've let that slide in the past year. Is it romantic to let your partner get a dog?? lol.
Anyway, maybe this could be my new year's resolution--to make more effort at being romantic.
:D SUre!! if he's a dog person or if he's been talking about wanting to get a dog someday but never got around to, then I'd say so. ::p:

razzle dazzle rose

Romance is a biggie for me. I like over the top romance. I enjoy being sung to. I love getting stuffed animals (doused in his cologne). Holding hands...feeding each other dessert. Affection has to be given in huge amounts. To me a relationship is not a relationship without that. It will just fizzle.

MrJones

Maybe romance is tuning in to and giving what the other person really wants, which may or may not fit with the flowers, chocolate, serenading picture. She might just want a mango (i would)
Yes, just make her feel loved with what she enjoys. I wouldn't say "no" to mango either, by the way :p

emre43

Does he want a dog? Personally, I love animals and I would be over the moon if I had a girlfriend who let me have any kind of animal.

EscapeArtist

It's hard to find a definition that suits the word romance.

"Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love"

The word has taken on a new meaning if that was the original definition. Now it means to elaborately show an "ardent emotional attachment".

It depends where you look for it. Look for it in a place where people are honest, open and have a deep understanding and appreciation for love as one of the main values of life. I think it lives but is rarer to find in people who are closed off from love in general

Sartana

I'm not really one for old-skool romance, it kinda makes me embarrassed if a guy treats me like a princess. Am I alone in thinking that? Haha.
I favour relationships which are more about having a laugh with each other, taking the mickey out of each other etc, and most importantly - understanding each other. Its not that I don't value sweetness, I'm just very independent-minded and if a guy gets too protective or prince-like over me it creeps me out.
I just want a soul-partner, somebody who wants to enjoy the planet and explore with me. The yin to my yan and all that jazz.

Surely that's chivalry though? And the romance is exploring the world together and whatever that would entail? ::p:

Silatuyok

:D SUre!! if he's a dog person or if he's been talking about wanting to get a dog someday but never got around to, then I'd say so. ::p:

Does he want a dog? Personally, I love animals and I would be over the moon if I had a girlfriend who let me have any kind of animal.

That's good to know! He's been wanting a dog for YEARS, so I took him to work with me and he picked out one of the dogs from the shelter. We are waiting on her spay surgery, but hope to have her home this weekend!

*Amy*

I'll just state the same things I said in the other thread. I think that yes, romance is kind of dying in modern society. It looks as if it were all based on physical attraction, but anything else you might think about (idealistically) was fairy tale childish rubbish. I'm getting more sceptic with time, but I am still very romantic, and yes, I would like romance in a relationship, I think that's the basis. If not, it would just be a friendship with sex included.

KiaKaha

Banned
I think the purpose of romance is to show the other person in your life that you care.
Its nice...its pleasant, and to lots of couples its important and invigorates the relationship...its important to show the people you care about them, and romance is the mechanism to do that.

But its not really for me... I find it a little cheesy to be honest. I am caring and I am protective but I dont want to shower my partner with constant affection and put her up on a pedestal. What makes me feel close to someone, is understanding, connecting mentally and enjoying that persons company.

I need my space and I need to have my own life and do things my own way.. and I would prefer a girl who feels the same way.

romance factor.. 4 out of 10

lolz..I'm probably never gonna get a girlfriend...

Last edited:

1BlackSheep

Romance is a biggie for me. I like over the top romance. I enjoy being sung to. I love getting stuffed animals (doused in his cologne). Holding hands...feeding each other dessert. Affection has to be given in huge amounts. To me a relationship is not a relationship without that. It will just fizzle.
I've only had one boyfriend who was sort of this way, and I have to admit it was really nice! It's the only time Ive ever had a someone play a song because it reminded him of me (song was "The Way You Do The Things You Do"). It's the little things that often mean the most!

emre43

Given that Valentines Day is such a big money spinner I would say romance is not dead.

But now it's just people giving anonymous love letters to the person that they've got a crush on. Not what I would describe as romance.