Question for the single peeps

lilmutegirl

I actually haven't been asked why I don't have a boyfriend in years, and at the time I actually did have a boyfriend.

For me, personally, I would respond with, "I just got out of a bad marriage, and I am trying to get my life in order for me and my son."

It's really none of anyone else's business, so if you are wondering how to respond to these inquiries, I would say that you should make it clear that you don't feel the need to tell anyone your reasons.

SociallyAwkwardAndShy

1) How come you don't have a bf/gf?
How come you don't have a bf/gf?

2) Why don't you find yourself a bf/gf?
Why don't they come find me :)

90% of the time it's friends and family members who ask me these question, if a stranger on the street asked me I would just ignore them because it's none of there business.

AutonomousAutomaton

I think it's weird to ask someone why they don't have a bf/gf at the moment. It's almost as random as asking, "Why are you not wearing a blue shirt today?" My friend's mom asked me why I don't have a boyfriend and I just stared at her blankly. I think the more difficult question is "What? You mean you've never had a bf/gf?!?!?!?!?" I really wouldn't know what to say to that. I think one that people buy a lot of the time is, "Oh, I'm so busy. I just don't have the time." I've heard people say that before.

Eam

1) How come you don't have a bf/gf?
I don't remember the last time I was asked this. I guess I would reply that I have other priorities, which is sort of true - but it's not like I wouldn't jump at the chance if the opportunity and right person came along.

2) Why don't you find yourself a bf/gf?
The last time I was asked this was by my nosy neighbour. I think my reply was along the lines of: 'I'm fine on my own'.

awkwardamanda

I don't get asked that very often. Occasionally by a relative, but I just shrug it off and don't say too much. I just hate that some people are so surprised when you tell them you're single. What's the big deal? I don't point out that I've been single for a long time. Being single at that moment really means nothing. The most attractive and sociable people still go through periods of being single.

sevenroses

I don't get asked that very often. Occasionally by a relative, but I just shrug it off and don't say too much. I just hate that some people are so surprised when you tell them you're single. What's the big deal? I don't point out that I've been single for a long time. Being single at that moment really means nothing. The most attractive and sociable people still go through periods of being single.

I basically have the same experience. Like relatives even try to ask why am I single and try to play matchmaker, which I`m not really happy with. Coworkers also do the same thing and try to say well hook you up with someone. There`s definitely nothing wrong with being single. I personally just prefer close friendship and enjoy my freedom at the same time.

jaixo

Well, honestly, no one asks me. Everyone assumes I hate the world, haha.
But if they did, I'd probably lie and say I wasn't interested in anyone.

recluse

1) Because i have awfully low self esteem and can't possibly imagine why anyone would be attracted to me. Same goes to male friends for that matter. I feel ugly and boring.

2) Because i feel awkward about asking girls out, and i don't go to places where i could meet someone. If i did go to somewhere i would not know how to ask a girl out anyway. I do not want to meet someone in a bar type place.
Also my low self esteem stops me.

talisman

1. I guess my answer's a mixture of...

- I'm a shy male so my chances of meeting someone are crap to begin with.
- I have no social network which makes meeting women is very difficult
- I wouldn't know where to go to meet women and dating sites suck
- I wouldn't get on with just anyone and most people wouldn't probably like me in that kind of way
- I'm not even sure I want to commit to anything long term yet

2. Probably give the same answers as above tbh.

Feathers

I know a bunch of reasons, and there are probably more...

To my Dad, it seems most effective to say, 'Get me someone then!' :D
That usually stops him! (He nagged into infinity beforehand.)

He even asked me, 'What sort of a guy do you want?'
And I said, 'If I knew, don't you think I would've gotten him already!' Then I had some peace...

zav943

1) Because i have awfully low self esteem and can't possibly imagine why anyone would be attracted to me. Same goes to male friends for that matter. I feel ugly and boring.

2) Because i feel awkward about asking girls out, and i don't go to places where i could meet someone. If i did go to somewhere i would not know how to ask a girl out anyway. I do not want to meet someone in a bar type place.
Also my low self esteem stops me.

I don't think I can agree more with that. This is EXACTLY how I feel...only I can't go around telling people that or else they'd think I'm some kind of sociopath and would stay away from me.

And I don't know of anyone I can open up to and say what you just said, even if it describes how I feel to a tee.

Last edited:
U

userremoved

This is how I've actually answered those questions.

1) I have not idea
2) I really have no freakin clue

I can't pinpoint whats broken in order to fix it.

jaypee06

first question: cos apparently keeping spiders and mantids as pets as a 23 year old is perceived as immature

second question usually does not follow as the asker has moved to another side of the room

yumesa

Nobody has asked me that, and if someone has I would tell them that I'm not stable enough to be with someone or that the people I like end up being gay or the only people that like me are creeps that never talked to me before or very not my type.