Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Miserum

That's why I usually just nod and agree or say very inoffensive comments when I'm in a group. Boring but safe.

Aren't you afraid that people will consider you a boring person? To me, "boring" does not fall in the safe category, because people, in my opinion, generally don't really like boring people.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
shirley.jpg

no words

Kiwong

Whrn I get distracted by people problems. I try to focus on whats important.

Writing my plant books
botany and bushwalking
Running
Threatened Plant conservation
seascape photography
Writing

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Whrn I get distracted by people problems. I try to focus on whats important.

Writing my plant books
botany and bushwalking
Running
Threatened Plant conservation
seascape photography
Writing

May I ask what you do to identify and reinforce what is important? Maybe it's a silly question and I'm overthinking an obvious thing, but I find I have a disconnect between identifying whether or not things really matter/are important and believing (or "feeling) that they are. I was just wondering what your process was, if you had one, to distinguish important things from unimportant things, and where the importance stems from.

Or anyone on the forum with thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

Last edited:

SoScared

I love how my health takes a nose-dive right when I have zero time to get in touch with a doctor or make an appointment. :rolleyes: I haven't been feeling good lately. I'm having horrible fatigue and excruciating tension headaches. I've always had rollercoaster issues with fatigue, where for a period I feel great and then out of nowhere I just crash. I've always thought it was just my life, as I've accomplished a lot the last few years, but now I'm wondering if I have more going on. :unsure:
You might have. I've recently been diagnosed with autism on top of all the rest. I kind of new it anyway but the diagnosis its actually good news because it help me understand some of my behaviours and directs me towards condition specific treatments.

LoyalXenite

May I ask what you do to identify and reinforce what is important? Maybe it's a silly question and I'm overthinking an obvious thing, but I find I have a disconnect between identifying whether or not things really matter/are important and believing (or "feeling) that they are. I was just wondering what your process was, if you had one, to distinguish important things from unimportant things, and where the importance stems from.

I try to define importance as what is most going to impact my life both short and long term, or in how easily (if at all) I could live with or without it. But anxiety and general other mental health issues probably skews it even when im trying to think outside it

Kiwong

Well obsessive dwelliing on thoughts is clearly not important, but that is where I was 2 years ago I had crippling introspectivity. A lot of that was around my poor connection with people, which has improved with medication and exposure.

Part of the process is letting go, moving on from the anxious thoughts, and the bad past connections It seems that now I am not fearing people so much, my thoughts have focussed more outwards, my neural pathways have cleared enough to be able to focus on things that I enjoy with a renewed passion. I have the energy pursue these things now, whereas 2 years I'd sit at home worrying for days

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Aren't you afraid that people will consider you a boring person? To me, "boring" does not fall in the safe category, because people, in my opinion, generally don't really like boring people.

I don't really care if I'm boring to my coworkers or people I don't know well enough to feel comfortable having a heated debate with.

But also, my experience is that people tend to like those who agree with them a lot more than those who disagree with them, regardless of if they're boring or not. It could be different from one culture to another though.

Kiwong

It's ok to like people, it's ok to be friends.

Anything else is just tortorous. I hate those thoughts. I'm too old for romance.

Miserum

I don't really care if I'm boring to my coworkers or people I don't know well enough to feel comfortable having a heated debate with.

But also, my experience is that people tend to like those who agree with them a lot more than those who disagree with them, regardless of if they're boring or not. It could be different from one culture to another though.
I couldn't agree more.

(I'm not trying to get you to like me with that statement :p)

SilentAndShy

So, you agree with your boss what your role entails and you say you don't want to do any other tasks that put me out of my comfort zone (prefer being an office geek and away from people!). So, unbeknown to you, you are "invited" to attend an event by a colleague that you haven't attended in the previous three years. When asked to confirm, I give a blank look. The manager intervenes, and says I'm not included. And in the very next breath, says "maybe you could go to do, X, Y and Z."

X,Y and Z being minimal tasks that he, or someone else could do. I panic, and splutter I'll let them know. But as this colleague is the kiss arse of most people in the office, I'll probably be dragged along FFS

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I'm starting to notice more often now that I'm at the age where people I saw as much older than me when I was younger are now, at the time I viewed them when I was younger, are now actually younger than me. Like when I watch early episodes of Friends I can't help but notice the characters are all my age or a little younger. Or when I was just watching a music video for a Fiona Apple song, I do the math and realize she was 21 at the time. When I first heard it I was 16 and she seemed so much older than me. Now I'm nearly 28 and haven't been 21 in a dog year. But I still view that 21 year old Fiona Apple as older than me, and that cast of Friends are all grown-ups at a place in life I might get to someday, not at a place I currently am. Time and age are weird things.

SoScared

I've got toothache and can't get to a dentist. Also feeling a little out of control. I keep trying to get it together and be organised but right now I'm kind of twitchy. Hope I get through this one. I have support staff around me, well not actually here but I don't want to run to them all the time. The more staff that are around the more I run to them. I'm sure, or at least I think I sure that I used to handle distress better. Actually, maybe not; that's what all the substance abuse was all about and I don't do that now. Eleven months clean.