Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Weird stuff happens that makes me wonder how real reality really is. Coincidences, happenings that seem to have meaning, things like that

We perceive our world as completely random and dynamic, but there's actually a lot of shared patterns, routines and behavioural habits in the universe. A lot of them we don't even consider, because they're not relevant enough from a survival point of view to be considered.

This is especially prevalent in human beings. It's quite shocking how predictable human beings can become based on their conditions. Take for example weather; if it's cold, you put on a coat, right? If it's warm, you wear thin/short clothes, it's only common sense. But these are things we're aware of. There's also a lot of events, emotions, thoughts, ect. that we processes subconsciously. And much like weather, we react to them in very similar ways. Not identical, mind you, but similar enough, in enough people, to cause uncanny coincidences on a remarkably frequent basis.

Deja Vu can also be found here. It's the subconscious realization of these patterns. You distinctly feel like you've done or seen that thing before, because you actually have in one way or another. But not once or twice, more likely close to a few dozen- to even hundreds of times based on the activity. And it doesn't need to be identical to cause a sense of Deja Vu, it can just be close enough, your brain will fill in the blanks.

And that's just humans, there's thousands of variables that move/behave somewhat parallel, that we don't consider, to create these uncanny circumstances.

And of course, there's also the fact that things that are statistically unlikely, due to the density and vibrant (yet predictable) nature of modern humanity, witnessing something statistically unlikely become increasingly likely. To put it in a metaphor; the more cogs are turning, the higher the chances are that one or two of them will align perfectly for you to witness.

In actuality, what we consider statistically unlikely, is actually very likely. It's just that it's not likely that we'll often observe them, but that doesn't mean they don't happen.

So fret not, reality is very much real. Unless, of course, I'm a agent of the matrix sent to confuse you. But then why would I say that? Maybe it's part of convincing you. But luckily, it's not. Or is it? Nah, it's not. Or is it?

Last edited:

MikeyC

This is especially prevalent in human beings. It's quite shocking how predictable human beings can become based on their conditions. Take for example weather; if it's cold, you put on a coat, right? If it's warm, you wear thin/short clothes, it's only common sense. But these are things we're aware of. There's also a lot of events, emotions, thoughts, ect. that we processes subconsciously. And much like weather, we react to them in very similar ways. Not identical, mind you, but similar enough, in enough people, to cause uncanny coincidences on a remarkably frequent basis.
So you're talking about our unconscious behaviour controlling our conscious actions? I think Freud said something like that one time. I can't confirm of deny that, but it seems plausible that repressed traits do control who we are and how we act.

I have to disagree about your weather example, though. That's purely a biological scenario, in my opinion.

Deja Vu can also be found here. It's the subconscious realization of these patterns. You distinctly feel like you've done or seen that thing before, because you actually have in one way or another. But not once or twice, more likely close to a few dozen- to even hundreds of times based on the activity. And it doesn't need to be identical to cause a sense of Deja Vu, it can just be close enough, your brain will fill in the blanks.
I'd have to research this again, but isn't deja vu basically your brain not firing on all cylinders? So you perceive something has happened before but it's just a slower reaction time to the events unfolding in front of you making it seem that way. Again, don't quote me on that, but that's what I vaguely remember about this topic.

And of course, there's also the fact that things that are statistically unlikely, due to the density and vibrant (yet predictable) nature of modern humanity, witnessing something statistically unlikely become increasingly likely. To put it in a metaphor; the more cogs are turning, the higher the chances are that one or two of them will align perfectly for you to witness.

In actuality, what we consider statistically unlikely, is actually very likely. It's just that it's not likely that we'll often observe them, but that doesn't mean they don't happen.
Do you have an example of this? I don't quite know what you mean.

Do you believe in fate?

(Interesting discussion.) :)

Just got the camp fire going .... time to take a selfie! Ha ha ha :p

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398559342742.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398559342742.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
So you're talking about our unconscious behaviour controlling our conscious actions? I think Freud said something like that one time. I can't confirm of deny that, but it seems plausible that repressed traits do control who we are and how we act.

I have to disagree about your weather example, though. That's purely a biological scenario, in my opinion.

Not quite, I mean it more as in our subconscious affecting how we feel (possibly incrementally) and therefore arriving at different conclusions regarding minor decisions.

For example, someone going to place B rather than place A (as he/she would've initially done) because hours earlier he/she had a cold chills in their neck that incrementally derailed that person from their train of thought at the time, causing a different conclusion altogether due to chaos theory, which wouldn't have happened had the chill never occurred at all. This is of course grotesquely simplified, of course, because it would require more variables than that, but that's the logic I'm applying here. The person in question has been influenced by something that he/she didn't know he/she was influenced by, it was purely instinctive. What I mean to say with that is that I think that people can be somewhat orchestrated into similar mindsets by certain conditions to which they can react predictably, to so help set in motion these uncanny coincidences/events.

But now I wonder, isn't every psychological response a purely biological scenario in terms of mechanics? Can't subtle subconscious psychological preferences and needs affect us similarly as our need for warmth/cold do?

I'd have to research this again, but isn't deja vu basically your brain not firing on all cylinders? So you perceive something has happened before but it's just a slower reaction time to the events unfolding in front of you making it seem that way. Again, don't quote me on that, but that's what I vaguely remember about this topic.

That sounds very much possible and I'm more than willing to side with you on that. I can't deny that makes a lot of sense.

Do you have an example of this? I don't quite know what you mean.

Do you believe in fate?

(Interesting discussion.) :)

Unfortunately not in a way that I can properly verbalize, but I'll try. It goes back to the top paragraph in this post about people dropping into similar mindset causing them to change their actions/decisions. Take for example that there are only two people in the world, the chance that they'd have the exact same thought process is astronomical. But now imagine there being two billion people, the odds of another pair having the same thought process is now significantly higher. This goes especially for people that live by similar outlines (such as culture, laws, climate, ect.) The more people, the more chance of similarity, and therefore more chance of coincidences to happen. Does the ''chimps writing Shakespeare'' metaphor apply here? I can't really tell.

I don't particularly believe in ''fate'' as in ''everything happens for a reason'', but I do believe that everything is subsequently set in motion by something else, though. A never ending domino effect that sets even more domino effects in motion with each new brick that falls, rather than a laid out plan. I also believe that because of this, it would technically be possible to predict the future were you able to calculate what each and every individual variable does, and how others would react to it. Provided the calculations are dead-on accurate, and you had the unlimited processing power required, of course.

Last edited:

MikeyC

Not quite, I mean it more as in our subconscious affecting how we feel (possibly incrementally) and therefore arriving at different conclusions regarding minor decision.

For example, someone going to place B rather than place A (as he/she would've initially done) because hours earlier he/she had a cold chills in their neck that incrementally derailed that person from their train of thought at the time, causing a different conclusion altogether due to chaos theory, which wouldn't have happened had the chill never occurred at all. This is of course grotesquely simplified, of course, because it would require more variables than that, but that's the logic I'm applying here. We've been influenced by something that we didn't know we were influenced by at all. What I mean to say with that is that I think that people can be somewhat orchestrated into similar mindsets by certain conditions to which they react to instinctively, to help set in motion these uncanny coincidences/events.

But now I wonder, isn't every psychological response a purely biological scenario in terms of mechanics? Can't subtle subconscious psychological preferences and needs affect us similarly as our need for warmth/cold do?
The butterfly effect, or the chaos theory. I see what you're saying. Unconsciously, we are driven by what we don't perceive overtly. Our unconscious contains thoughts and feelings that are not able to be delved up but do have a great influence on our lives.

Going to place B rather than place A would significantly change the outcome of your day, if not your life, especially if something monumental happened. But is that a coincidence or is that planned? I prefer to believe it's planned. If you went to place B and place A was destroyed by fire with no survivors, is that fate? Or was that a lucky choice? I prefer to think of it as luck, since those that perished weren't so lucky.

I think our actions are more randomised than we think.

Unfortunately not in a way that I can properly verbalize, but I'll try. It goes back to the top paragraph in this post about people dropping into similar mindset causing them to change their actions/decisions. Take for example that there are only two people in the world, the chance that they'd have the exact same thought process is astronomical. But now imagine there being two billion people, the odds of another pair having the same thought process is now significantly higher. This goes especially for people that live by similar outlines (such as culture, laws, climate, ect.) The more people, the more chance of similarity, and therefore more chance of coincidences to happen. Does the ''chimps writing Shakespeare'' metaphor apply here? I can't really tell.
Yeah, the more people, the more similar we can all seem. But will two different people have the exact same brainwaves? Is that even possible? Our brains are complex organs. I'm also not a biologist, haha. ::p:

I don't particularly believe in ''fate'' as in ''everything happens for a reason'', but I do believe that everything is subsequently set in motion by something else, though. A never ending domino effect that sets even more domino effects in motion with each new brick that falls, rather than a laid out plan. I also believe that because of this, it would technically be possible to predict the future were you able to calculate what each and every individual variable does, and how others would react to it. Provided the calculations are dead-on accurate, and you had the unlimited processing power required, of course.
I don't believe in fate, since it means everything we do, everything we think, everything we perceive in every possible situation is a pre-determined action set up by something or someone (God, specifically), and that doesn't sit well with me. Is it fate that I'm discussing fate with a guy from The Netherlands? No, it's just coincidental crossing of paths and thoughts. But that's my view.

I don't think we can ever accurately predict the future based on past experiences and norms. It's way too complicated to be that accurate, assuming we would even have the unlimited processing power you speak of.

The butterfly effect, or the chaos theory. I see what you're saying. Unconsciously, we are driven by what we don't perceive overtly. Our unconscious contains thoughts and feelings that are not able to be delved up but do have a great influence on our lives.

Going to place B rather than place A would significantly change the outcome of your day, if not your life, especially if something monumental happened. But is that a coincidence or is that planned? I prefer to believe it's planned. If you went to place B and place A was destroyed by fire with no survivors, is that fate? Or was that a lucky choice? I prefer to think of it as luck, since those that perished weren't so lucky.

I think our actions are more randomised than we think.

It's not the conclusion I arrive at - but I can definitely see how others might, and one I cam respect all the same. I'm on the other side of that spectrum, where I think we're far more predictable that we think. ;)

Yeah, the more people, the more similar we can all seem. But will two different people have the exact same brainwaves? Is that even possible? Our brains are complex organs. I'm also not a biologist, haha. ::p:

Well, maybe not exactly the same, but close enough that our actions are influenced similarly. Getting someone to a certain place at the a exact time is often enough for a coincidence to draw attention to itself. Emotions also aren't exact, perhaps these influences also have some leanway. Because 1 to 1 duplication of brain activity would suggest 1x1 duplication of everything. That's unlikely to the extent that we almost have to consider it impossible.

I don't believe in fate, since it means everything we do, everything we think, everything we perceive in every possible situation is a pre-determined action set up by something or someone (God, specifically), and that doesn't sit well with me. Is it fate that I'm discussing fate with a guy from The Netherlands? No, it's just coincidental crossing of paths and thoughts. But that's my view.

I don't think we can ever accurately predict the future based on past experiences and norms. It's way too complicated to be that accurate, assuming we would even have the unlimited processing power you speak of.

That's a similar view to mine. Rather than believing someone drew a picture, I believe that a big blob of paint was thrown towards the canvas (by whatever initiated existence (if anything)), and that that blob impacts the canvas to the accord of least resistance. ..I like metaphors, have you noticed? ::p:

Oh, but I by no means think we'll ever be able to actually predict the future. It sounds like something that would require the amount of power and technology that is impossible within the natural laws.

It requires not only an awareness of every strand of energy in the entire universe, this machine would also need to understand those strands intimately, in real time.

Then it would have to predict their behaviour flawlessly, and then how every single one of these strands would react to one another.

And after that it would have to repeat the process again, but this time based on it's prior predictions, and calculate the outcome even faster (because otherwise it would be parallel with real life, like a glorified camera.) It's one of those things that's only possible in theory.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Selfie? You.. you're not one of the logs are? D:

jc972's baby picture:

lit%2Bmatch.jpg

MikeyC

It's not the conclusion I arrive at - but I can definitely see how others might, and one I cam respect all the same. I'm on the other side of that spectrum, where I think we're far more predictable that we think. ;)
We do have some predictability, if we are governed by our traits and personality, but on a situational basis, we can react a hundred different ways. It's fascinating how we might react to a certain scenario, and it's why I'm interested in psychology.

Well, maybe not exactly the same, but close enough that our actions are influenced similarly. Getting someone to a certain place at the a exact time is often enough for a coincidence to draw attention to itself. Emotions also aren't exact, perhaps these influences also have some leanway. Because 1 to 1 duplication of brain activity would suggest 1x1 duplication of everything. That's unlikely to the extent that we almost have to consider it impossible.
I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who has the exact same brain pattern as I do. We'd always be finishing each others....

That's a similar view to mine. Rather than believing someone drew a picture, I believe that a big blob of paint was thrown towards the canvas (by whatever initiated existence (if anything)), and that that blob impacts the canvas to the accord of least resistance. ..I like metaphors, have you noticed? ::p:

Oh, but I by no means think we'll ever be able to actually predict the future. It sounds like something that would require the amount of power and technology that is impossible within the natural laws.

It requires not only an awareness of every strand of energy in the entire universe, this machine would also need to understand those strands intimately, in real time.

Then it would have to predict their behaviour flawlessly, and then how every single one of these strands would react to one another.

And after that it would have to repeat the process again, but this time based on it's prior predictions, and calculate the outcome even faster (because otherwise it would be parallel with real life, like a glorified camera.) It's one of those things that's only possible in theory.
Future prediction is difficult, but people already do it. Weather forecasts, technological advancements, when the next iPhone is released, mortality from tumours, illnesses, and so forth. But these are relatively short-term cases compared to distant future predictions. What will life be like in 2100? We can't accurately predict that stuff to any sort of accuracy. Maybe the iPhone 50 will be out by then. ::p:

Yay, fire!
Pyromaniac in training lol
Selfie? You.. you're not one of the logs, are you?
NOOO!!!
jc972's baby picture:

lit%2Bmatch.jpg
HA ha ha yeah that's pretty good

They're so flammable at that age.

^ that is strange because I never imagined that jc was the type that act like they have a stick up their.........

;) :giggle:
Depending on who you ask, they might say it's the whole tree ha ha ha

Put another log on the fire, cook me up some bacon and some beans.

I ain't heard that old song in forever, Kiwong. Takes ya back a few years don't it?

I needed a good laugh. Y'all are awesome!

We do have some predictability, if we are governed by our traits and personality, but on a situational basis, we can react a hundred different ways. It's fascinating how we might react to a certain scenario, and it's why I'm interested in psychology.

Well, of course. Extreme situations throw the varibles around quite aggressively. Though I'm sure there's overlap even there to a lesser extent.

Future prediction is difficult, but people already do it. Weather forecasts, technological advancements, when the next iPhone is released, mortality from tumours, illnesses, and so forth. But these are relatively short-term cases compared to distant future predictions. What will life be like in 2100? We can't accurately predict that stuff to any sort of accuracy. Maybe the iPhone 50 will be out by then. ::p:

And they're also things with way less complicated variables, and have a certain lean way to boot, and even that is already too complicated to get dead-on. And in a way that's good. If we knew the future and all its secrets, it would defeat the purpose of development. Well, if you ignore all that prosperity and survival mumbo jumbo.

I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who has the exact same brain pattern as I do. We'd always be finishing each others....

..sentences. Huh. Mikey, be honest, do you secretly have the impossible future telling device in order to mess with my head?