Post your favourite music

AtTheGates

Banned

I havent lisene to alice in chains in such a long time . I was really into them as a teenager though.

its interesting how Layne Staley's voice pretty much degraded as he descended further into drug addiction. his voice was awesome on their first album though. IMO, he was a much better vocalist than Kurt Cobain. definitely underrated compared to him.

The chorus of this song is really powerful..even just a couple years after this album I dont think he could hit those notes anymore...I guess thats what heavy cocaine and heroin use will do to someone.

the chorus of this song is good . and the part at 4:25 minutes is REALLY good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CiU5dbrUxo

Last edited:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I havent lisene to alice in chains in such a long time . I was really into them as a teenager though.

its interesting how Layne Staley's voice pretty much degraded as he descended further into drug addiction. his voice was awesome on their first album though. IMO, he was a much better vocalist than Kurt Cobain. definitely underrated compared to him.

The chorus of this song is really powerful..even just a couple years after this album I dont think he could hit those notes anymore...I guess thats what heavy cocaine and heroin use will do to someone.

the chorus of this song is good . and the part at 4:25 minutes is REALLY good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CiU5dbrUxo

It's sad to think of all the great artists we've lost to heroin. Thinking about what AIC could've done had the band not been in such a poor state due to Layne's lifestyle is a real bummer. His unique voice, combined with Cantrell's lyrics made for some of the best music to come out of the early 90's.

I also agree that he was a much better singer than Kurt, really I think he's on par with Chris Cornell. Whereas Cornell's voice peeled the paint off satellites, Staley's heavy, haunted vocals seemed to channel something otherworldly.

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

It's sad to think of all the great artists we've lost to heroine. Thinking about what AIC could've done had the band not been in such a poor state due to Layne's lifestyle is a real bummer. His unique voice, combined with Cantrell's lyrics made for some of the best music to come out of the early 90's.

I also agree that he was a much better singer than Kurt, really I think he's on par with Chris Cornell. Whereas Cornell's voice peeled the paint off satellites, Staley's heavy, haunted vocals seemed to channel something otherworldly.

Great description of Cornell's voice though I hear he couldn't bring it live.

AIC was one of my fave bands growing up :(

AtTheGates

Banned
It's sad to think of all the great artists we've lost to heroin. Thinking about what AIC could've done had the band not been in such a poor state due to Layne's lifestyle is a real bummer. His unique voice, combined with Cantrell's lyrics made for some of the best music to come out of the early 90's.

I really liked Layne Staley/Jerry cantrell's vocal harmony. especially during the chorus of their song "hate to feel."

it really is sad that we've lost so many great singers to drug abuse. I was watching an interview a while back and got the impression that SOME rock musicians thought that doing heroin was integral to being a great artist because a lot of great musicians of the past had this whole romanticized heroin addiction thing going on...mainly blues musicians....I recall one interview with dave mustaine where he said "all the greats did heroin. so if I wanted to be great I had to do heroin"...although he's in a metal band, he's still referring to the blues (which is the genre that metal AND grunge have a lot of influence from)

but anyway back on topic. i have to say, William Duvall can harmonize really well with Jerry also. just has a different sound to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQHwyOwCnRU

theres also a good documentary I saw in 2010 called "pearl jam 20" that has a lot of good info about the grunge era. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQc8WsY-ZbA

Last edited: