Post your Favorite Quotes!

Dead_on_Arrival

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existance."
Lin Yutang

"The road that is built on hope is more pleasent to the traveller than the road built on despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
Marian Zimmer Bradley

Dead_on_Arrival

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Plato

"To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act of kindness is better than a thousand head-bowings in prayer."
Sadi

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
"If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seatbelt?"

"Nationalism does nothing but teach you how to hate people that you never met. And all of a sudden you take pride in accomplishments you had no part in whatsoever"

Doug Stanhope

"Mr. Finch, there's just some kind of men you have to shoot before you say howdy to 'em. Even then, they ain't worth the bullet it takes to shoot 'em."

Heck Tate in To kill a Mockingbird

Phoenixx

Came across this quote while reading Eldest yesterday. Not sure why I like it so much, but I do. :)

"He closed his eyes and sank into the warm dusk that separates consciousness and sleep, where reality bends and sways into the wind of thought, and where creativity blossoms in its freedom from boundaries and all things are possible." ~ Eldest by Christopher Paolini, pg. 146

Random note: Does anyone else come across quotes they really like while reading? So much you actually write them down? I do this sometimes (even including the page number). I actually had a few notebook pages filled with favorite quotes from books I've read. I don't know where I put it though. :/

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Random note: Does anyone else come across quotes they really like while reading? So much you actually write them down? I do this sometimes (even including the page number). I actually had a few notebook pages filled with favorite quotes from books I've read. I don't know where I put it though. :/

Yes! I sometimes have to stop reading or dog ear a page if there's one I love and there's no notebook around. I hope you find your notebook soon!

Last edited:
If you're afraid of death, you're probably afraid of life too!

The people I admire the most have courage,courage and more courage.

Eristelle

attachment.php

dottie

"in giving advice, seek to help, not please, your friend."

ok it's not my favorite quote but it's on the tea bag i'm drinking from. and i was thinking recently that this is not good advice. i am too honest with people and they generally dislike that. my boyfriend tends to tell people what they want to hear and everyone loves him.

phantastica

^i for one appreciate honesty far more than hearing something nice.
(but as a rule i'd say the wisdom of teabags is to doubt!)
a quote i like:
'be anything but a coward, a pretender, an emotional crook, a whore: i'd rather have cancer than a dishonest heart.' (truman capote)

Eyv

A person is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
- Bob Dylan

Nyxy

Ohoho! I got quite a few to share. \^^/

Welcome is sleep, more welcome the sleep of stone. Whilst crime and shame continue in the land; My happy fortune, not to see or hear; Waken me not - in mercy, whisper low.

—Michelangelo Buonarotti

"You live without a view of mountains with snow on their peaks and fire in their hearts; ... no resting place is any longer open to your heart, where it has only to find and no longer to seek; you resist any ultimate peace, you want the eternal recurrence of war and peace. Man of renunciation, do you want to renounce all this? Who will give you the necessary strength?"

—Nietzsche

"It's, like one of them drug dealer boats," Vic says, looking through his magic sight. "Five guys on it. Headed our way." He fires another round. "Correction. Four guys on it." Boom. "Correction, they're not headed our way anymore." Boom. A fireball erupts from the ocean two hundred feet away. "Correction. No boat."

—"Snow Crash"

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

—Robert Frost

"Here they were, the fun loving American public proudly asserting their rights and enjoying the wonderful freedom of America, all studiously ignoring the fact that their government was busily manipulating a truth so unsavoury that it had to be given to them diluted so that they could swallow it."

—Cocaine, an unauthorized biography

The morning comes, the night decays, the watchmen leave their stations;
The grave is burst, the spices shed, the linen wrapped up;
The bones of death, the cov'ring clay, the sinews shrunk & dry'd
Reviving shake, inspiring move, breathing, awakening,
Spring like redeemed captives when their bonds & bars are burst.
Let the slave grinding at the mill run out into the field,
Let him look up into the heavens & laugh in the bright air;
Let the inchained soul, shut up in darkness and in sighing,
Whose face has never seen a smile in thirty weary years,
Rise and look out; his chains are loose, his dungeon doors are open;
And let his wife and children return from the oppressor's scourge.
They look behind at every step & believe it is a dream,
Singing: "The Sun has left his blackness & has found a fresher morning,
And the fair Moon rejoices in the clear & cloudless night;
For the Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease."

—William Blake

"And how are you going to search for the nature of virtue when you don't know at all what it is? Which of all the things you don't know will you set up as target for your search? And even if you actually come across it, how will you know that it is that thing which you don't know?"

—Meno's Paradox

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly, lest you tread on my dreams.

—William Butler Yeats

"When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over."

—Unknown?

20 years after its collapse seems appropriated this one:

“Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain.”

Vladimir Putin

Insanewoman389

Its not my favorite but I really like it: "I have loved to the point of madness; that which is called madness, that which to me, is the only sensible way to love." Françoise Sagan

SilentBird

"Be childish, be irresponsible, be everything this society hates."
Malcolm McLaren

"The naked need of the control addicts must be decently covered by an arbitrary and intricate bureaucracy so the subject cannot contact his enemy direct."
William S. Burroughs

"If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for views you don't like. Goebbels was in favour of freedom of speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favour of freedom of speech, that means you're in favour of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise."
Noam Chomsky

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted in a profoundly sick society."
Jiddu Krishnamurti

LittleKitty

"One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid and that makes me sad" -Sheldon, the big bang theory