Post a picture of your Obsession!

lunaticbinge

m_pink_floyd.JPG

gow-thependulumwars.jpg

HeadFace

^ lol. I was born Jewish. That's not really cool man. I mean I understand we all have our own opinions, but hating on a group of people is pretty messed up. What did Jews ever do to you?

Unless you mean this version of the swastika: Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.
You guys know there's more to Nazi's than just hating Jews... Right? If he wanted to insult the religion, he would've done a lot more than post a picture of a swatstika, trust me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiercel

500px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_(1923-1955).svg.png

That's what it finally took to destroy Nazi Germany, so it was the only logical response. :D Not that the Soviets were much better....

Of course, I probably would have posted a picture of a Panzer IV or an MG42 instead of the Nazi flag. Their weapons seem to have an acceptability and a "coolness" factor that doesn't upset people as easily as that swastika. But if you're more interested in the political aspects than the military ones, it's difficult to find an "appropriate" image. Maybe a party pin? ;)

Speaking of all things Japanese, I'm also interested in how Japan went downhill before and during WWII. I haven't read anything about it, really. But James Bradley's Flyboys had some interesting things to say about where they got their ideas from....

Last edited by a moderator:
500px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union_(1923-1955).svg.png

That's what it finally took to destroy Nazi Germany, so it was the only logical response. :D Not that the Soviets were much better....

Of course, I probably would have posted a picture of a Panzer IV or an MG42 instead of the Nazi flag. Their weapons seem to have an acceptability and a "coolness" factor that doesn't upset people as easily as that swastika. But if you're more interested in the political aspects than the military ones, it's difficult to find an "appropriate" image. Maybe a party pin? ;)

Speaking of all things Japanese, I'm also interested in how Japan went downhill before and during WWII. I haven't read anything about it, really. But James Bradley's Flyboys had some interesting things to say about where they got their ideas from....

If I recall my history lessons right, the leaders of Japan just before WWII were pretty modern thinking. They wanted industrialization but still wanted to retain some of the more traditional Japanese values of the time like loyalty to the emperor.

During the war itself, in my opinion, they just made the terrible mistake of engaging in two fronts. Both the South East Asian front and the Americans. Essentially what Hitler did also, since he engaged the Russians, thus opening up another front.

Japan was actually winning the South East Asian front quite easily. IIRC, the Thais had negotiated a sort of truce and allowed the Japs to pass through their lands to attack Malaysia.

They had the brilliant idea of using bicycles to quickly traverse the native terrain and quickly bypassed the British fortified positions, eventually gaining the strategic advantage and routed the British to Singapore.

Again the British miscalculated and placed their main cannons pointing to the sea rather than the landmass of Malaysia since they never thought that the Japanese could actually take Malaysia.

Singapore fell swiftly and had they consolidated rather than attacking America simultaneously, they may have changed the outcome of the war.

For Hitler's case, the Russian's strategy of 'scorched earth' (IIRC) is something he didn't anticipate I guess or just underestimate. He also underestimated the terrain and the Russian winters which probably killed more soldiers than the actual Russians they were fighting.

I can't remember if they managed to take Stalingrad, probably yes. But if they did, they couldn't hold on to it... Had they actually just fought on one front at a time and consolidated, then I believe that they'd have won.

Anyway, check it out for yourself I guess. The history lesson was over a decade ago so I may have gotten some details wrong.

Tiercel

(Dronee's much appreciated summary of Japan's war in South East Asia)

For Hitler's case, the Russian's strategy of 'scorched earth' (IIRC) is something he didn't anticipate I guess or just underestimate. He also underestimated the terrain and the Russian winters which probably killed more soldiers than the actual Russians they were fighting.

I can't remember if they managed to take Stalingrad, probably yes. But if they did, they couldn't hold on to it... Had they actually just fought on one front at a time and consolidated, then I believe that they'd have won.

Anyway, check it out for yourself I guess. The history lesson was over a decade ago so I may have gotten some details wrong.

Thanks for the history lesson. :)

I'll have to start looking for books about Imperial Japan, but I can't say I'm excited about the prospects. Here in America most of the Japanese side of WWII only begins on December 7, 1941, with the attack on Pearl Harbor. And it tends to go something like "Those dirty Japs sneak attacked us" instead of describing the events that led to the attack. And after the war our focus shifted to the Soviet Union and preventing the spread of Communism, so we sort of covered up that whole unpleasantness with Japan. It is rather difficult to ask a defeated opponent how and why his aggression started when you're trying to build military bases in his back yard. :rolleyes:

And when I mentioned Japan going "downhill," I should have stated that I meant when they went downhill morally. How the Japanese and German governments' agendas changed from "We need to lift ourselves up" to "We need to lift ourselves up while oppressing and destroying others" is one of the most fascinating parts of WWII for me.

And the Germans never did take Stalingrad. It was named after the Soviet's leader, so there was no way they would give the Germans such a propaganda victory. Men and machines could all be replaced; Stalin's dignity could not. Actually, that's probably the main reason Hitler lost in the east. For all the millions he killed, there were still millions more; Germany didn't have the population reserves to draw upon, so he couldn't replace the men once they were lost.

Of course Hitler also vastly overestimated his own prowess while vastly underestimating that of the Soviets, but that's to be expected. Despite being a dark haired, dark eyed Austrian, he was the leader of the greatest race of humans this world had ever seen. What could possibly stand in his way? :rolleyes:

And I promise not to discuss any more aspects of World War II in this thread. :D

Tiercel

Getting back on topic....

picture.php

I like Marshall amps when they are loud. Unfortunately I never really turn mine up to where it sounds perfect. I still respect some silly things, like family, neighbors, and eardrums....

;)

Ignace

Well .. putting a swastika on here is not really ... a great idea. It's probably better to just tell us you're obsessed with history, but putting the Nazi symbol here ? This is the Nazi symbol, the swastika off religion is a little bit diffirent. My obsession ? I guess my PC. XD (Nerdy)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Of course Hitler also vastly overestimated his own prowess while vastly underestimating that of the Soviets, but that's to be expected. Despite being a dark haired, dark eyed Austrian, he was the leader of the greatest race of humans this world had ever seen. What could possibly stand in his way? :rolleyes:
They are barbarians! Primitive lower beings! They could not possibly produce weapons that might compete with ours!

...what is this 'T-34' you're babbling about? :confused:

Last edited:

Danfalc

Banned
Eat it, Hitler!

I'm not too good at my history but I find it fascinating.Wasn't the T34 one of the best tanks of the war?Or am I thinking of something else.I know the Panzers were great tanks too but I'm sure I remember something about T34's being one of the best?

Anyway Gaming
xps600renegade.jpg

Knives/Swords/Guns
MannKnives2009PromoHP.jpg

Martial arts and UFC especially when Rashad get's his ass kicked
knockedthefeckout.jpg

Thanks for the history lesson.

I'll have to start looking for books about Imperial Japan, but I can't say I'm excited about the prospects. Here in America most of the Japanese side of WWII only begins on December 7, 1941, with the attack on Pearl Harbor. And it tends to go something like "Those dirty Japs sneak attacked us" instead of describing the events that led to the attack. And after the war our focus shifted to the Soviet Union and preventing the spread of Communism, so we sort of covered up that whole unpleasantness with Japan. It is rather difficult to ask a defeated opponent how and why his aggression started when you're trying to build military bases in his back yard. :rolleyes:

And when I mentioned Japan going "downhill," I should have stated that I meant when they went downhill morally. How the Japanese and German governments' agendas changed from "We need to lift ourselves up" to "We need to lift ourselves up while oppressing and destroying others" is one of the most fascinating parts of WWII for me.

And the Germans never did take Stalingrad. It was named after the Soviet's leader, so there was no way they would give the Germans such a propaganda victory. Men and machines could all be replaced; Stalin's dignity could not. Actually, that's probably the main reason Hitler lost in the east. For all the millions he killed, there were still millions more; Germany didn't have the population reserves to draw upon, so he couldn't replace the men once they were lost.

And I promise not to discuss any more aspects of World War II in this thread. :D

Our history teacher used to tell us these things like it's a campfire story, so it sticks in the mind. Most of us scored extremely well despite not studying hard (or at all).

If you mean moral decline, for Japan I just know that they wanted to industrialize and eventually 'compete' with the Westerners and their culture is also big on glory and honor. That's a good thing, except that somehow (can't remember) this is twisted into motivation for war.

The Japanese had developed zero fighters which are possibly one of the very first real attempts at having truly mobile aircraft. The British fighter planes were 'flying coffins' (my teacher's words) compared to the zero fighters.

For Germany, the nation was just down from the last war. IIRC, Hitler was himself only lowly ranked in the last war and ironically was brought up in a Jewish environment. From a documentary I've watched, it seems that people wanted to hear something to give them hope. At the same time, the Jews were relatively wealthy so that made them perfect scapegoats.

It's also a very basic technique to make others seem like the enemy so that the 'in crowd' has a seemingly stronger sense of solidarity. Hitler was also a natural speaker since he actually had a lot of conviction in what he is saying.

He started out small in eateries and cafes and eventually, more and more people came out just to hear him. People of power began taking notice and rallied to him. He promised a lot of things and he was charismatic. He also somehow managed to convince much of the populace to blame the Jews and make them seem like the outsiders despite many of them having lived there for some time.

To ensure that he had the hearts of the people, he established youth groups who were dedicated to the cause. Also used a lot of propaganda and at the advice of his confidant, trimmed his mustache so that he had a distinct look (apparently the 'brand name' idea was around even then).

Hitler wasn't all just talk too. IIRC, like Japan, he pushed the country into more industrialization and the Germans basically perfected (for that era) the concept. So it seemed like he was 'the real deal'. IIRC, his campaign against the Jews was also very systematic. He first make them seem like outsiders. Then he pointed out their meddlings in the economy. Maybe some of them are guilty, maybe not, but Hitler made it seem that the Jews are an entity in itself... not just individuals. That made it easier to hate them. (See Lucifer Effect by Dr Zimbardo).

Later, they were sent to concentration camps for reallocation. Only after that then did the genocide occur more openly. So Hitler made it systematic AND progressive.

Again, sorry if I recall something wrong, for those points that I'm not sure, I'll usually say so.

Anyway, my little obsession is probably Starcraft. It's too bad that my APM is not high though lol. Anyone on the Asian servers? Which league you on?

hydralisk.jpg

Last edited:

petrified eyes

As much as I can agree with this quote...genocide has happened numerous times since WWII. Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia....

...Cambodia, Iraq, China, Uganda, Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Burundi, Equatorial Guinea, Guatemala, Algeria. It will continue to happen over and over and over again until there is an international effort to combat genocide proactively. Not wait 5 or 6 years, then when a quarter of a million people are dead, call it "ethnic cleansing" and warn them to stop without any intention of doing anything if they don't, then 15 years later arrest the perpetrators and sentence them to 5-10 years in prison. Remembering the past is only the first part of stopping genocide, the second is recognizing the warning signs that genocide is imminent, the third is actually doing something about it. I don't mean hold a benefit concert or a series of TV ads, or Bono, but using a 600 billion dollar defense budget for something useful for a change.

Ever play a little game called Axis and Allies?

I love that game, but nobody wants to play it with me anymore since the last game took 3 weeks to finish!

The beloved T-34 :D, although it was capable of defeating any German tank at the time it was introduced and had excellent mobility, early versions had severe mechanical problems. (Half of summer 1941s loses were due to mechanical breakdown.) The turret layout wasn't ergonomic, it was cramped, had poor visibility, few had radios, and it had the commander also acting as the gunner. In 1942 it was improved with a better turret. By 1943 it's 76mm gun was inadequate. When the Soviets started encountering Tigers and Panthers they upgraded it with an 85mm gun, enlarged 3-man turret, and better visibility, it was far superior to the Pz.Kpfw. IV and StuG III, however it was still inferior to the Panther in terms of firepower and armor protection. What really gave the T-34 the advantage however was that it could be very quickly produced using unskilled labor. In 1944 there were only 300 or so Panthers on the Eastern Front, whereas the Soviets were making 1000 T-34s per month! This obviously offsets any advantage the Panther had. Even with it's faults, the T-34 was a fine tank and is still in (very limited) use nearly 70 years after it was introduced!

Anyway, back on topic:

500px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png

Also, it's obvious that I'm a bit obsessed with military history, so I'm not even going to bother posting a pic. I'm such a geek. ::eek::