Positive Post, What helps with your anxiety, what de-stressers work for you?

Csea88

This is just a post to see what anyone else has found therapeutic and helpful for their anxieties, like for instance for me it's drawing, listening to happy music (I know its no cure) but it can sometimes help me, and I was just wondering what other things have helped you guys out?

Feeling_Nothing

Music and believe it or not, chatting with people from SPW !
The ones I have talked to are so friendly, caring and understanding that they for some reason always manage to cheer me up.

Csea88

Music's a good one I do that too! and yeah I have been coming on here more lately too because the people are here are so understanding and the words of encouragement do make me feel better, gives me hope! :)

Roman Legion

Wearing sunglasses, very dark sunglasses and wearing headphones for music in public. Talking to myself in my head and keeping my mind actively engaged and busy is a great distraction for my anxiety. Cleaning things is also a good distraction from anxiety..

Csea88

Wearing sunglasses, very dark sunglasses and wearing headphones for music in public. Talking to myself in my head and keeping my mind actively engaged and busy is a great distraction for my anxiety. Cleaning things is also a good distraction from anxiety..

cleaning things! that's a good one I do that too, really helps to get your anxiety averted when you concentrate on other things :)

Feeling_Nothing

Listening to upbeat music, Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay helps relieve anxiety for me.

Actually, the song from Oasis - Stop crying your heart out was giving to me from someone on SPW and even though it's a "sad" song it kind of cheers me up because I like the lyrics. Oh and uhm...Queen - Don't stop me now will always put a smile on my face :)

Csea88

Happy Music Playlists help me. I download the most upbeat songs I can find
Noah And The Whale -Waiting for my chance to come..has helped me lately
and One Republic- Good Life .sounds cheesy but listening to that song gives me hope that my life will get better someday

Roman Legion

Happy Music Playlists help me. I download the most upbeat songs I can find
Noah And The Whale -Waiting for my chance to come..has helped me lately
and One Republic- Good Life .sounds cheesy but listening to that song gives me hope that my life will get better someday

I hate upbeat music.. I can only listen to music that reflects how I feel on the inside.. Not always the same genre of music, but ubeat would only serve to irritate me.

A very small sample of my music.. VERY small sample it is..

Black Sabbath "Paranoid" Music Video - YouTube

lunachicks - drop dead - YouTube

Soundgarden - Boot Camp - YouTube

Falling Down OST - 01 Freeway - YouTube

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - 06 - Il Forte (The Strong) - YouTube

sullyS25

Thank you, Csea, it is nice to see posts about what people do to relieve the anxiety instead of concentrating on the thoughts that keep us in it. I like to read, meditate, listen to music, watch movies, do exercise, and go for walks. It also helps me when I can be completely in the present moment. Not worrying about what people might think of me if I do a certain thing or what impressions my future actions might give people but just living in the moment and enjoying it. Noticing that when I observe the thoughts that go through my head without judging or attaching to any of them, I get a sense of peace of mind that I cannot describe....

MikeyC

Music and exercise. Sometimes combining the two.

Chocolate helps but I'm trying to shy away from that.

rosen

You guys mentioned them, but I would like to repeat - yea, good music, talking to people you like, watching something funny really helps relieve bad thoughts.:) Also getting out of your comfort zone might be frightening and really tense but is ultimately rewarding, makes you feel better. :)

gustavofring

- Exercise (I go to the gym lately with a friend and it feels good to take care of my body, and feeling satisfied afterwards).
- Activity (being in the Flow, absolutely focussed on what I do without inner resistance. Thinking less doing more, prevents my mind from wandering off to stupid things)
- Being in nature
- Humor (a funny show or movie. Not taking life so seriously)
- Meditation/Awareness (trying to be in the present moment, if a thought or stressful moment arises that is anxious, I try to surrender to it and dissolve inner resistance)
- Getting out of comfort zone (make that small talk, call a friend or family members, etc.)
- Getting daily goals done

Last edited:

Gaucho

hi roman legion. if you like these soundtrack kind of music, you should listen the soundtrack of "the assassination of jesse james by the coward robber ford", maybe you wil like it. i love it

bcsr

Intense exercise. To the point of exhaustion.
Playing with my wonderful dogs.
Listening to music.
Just straight chillaxing on the couch, reading or watching cartoons.

chocchipz

With me it's usually listening to certain kinds of music, It usually at the very least distracts my mind.
A good gym session usually leaves me feeling pretty good too, I usually get home feeling really upbeat and good about myself, only works sometimes though.