People that are happy all the time.

I make myself put on a happy face each day even when I want to punch the first couple of people I see. It's hard but it can be done.

SmileMore

Amen! :perfect:

It's not like I choose to feel depressed. There's this misconception that people with depression chose to feel awful and that they should just cheer up and get over it. I mean, at least I'm not a starving oprhan in a third world country(!)

Last edited:

Xervello

People that are happy all the time get facial wrinkles from smiling, a lot sooner than those that don't. So, there's that.

Srijita52

I suppose. If you aren't lucky enough to not have SA and good things in your life though how are you supposed to be positive about things? I'm really struggling to see any positivity in my life.
So am I. I guess there's no easy way, if you want to feel positive, you need to take the step. If you want friends you have to make them, if you're anxious about social situations, you need to face them. There's no other way, atleast for me. Yes, its painful but its better than living with my problems and worth it in the long run or so I've heard. There're many people on this forum who have tried and gotten better, so I guess its not impossible.

gazelle

This is an interesting topic... I was also thinking about this a few days ago after going to a party... From what I've observed, I've seen two types of happy people, the fist type are the kind who despite having a hard life and myriads of vicissitudes, manage to overcome their despair and somehow rise above their adversity and become happy, and to be honest, I can't help but praise these people, I find them very respectable.
There is however, like the what you mention a second type which unfortunately I'm surrounded by also, that seem to have never have felt any type pain in their lives, and get everything handed to them on a plate from the beginning,(wealth, health, good looks, good family,having a high paid job ready for them in their parents firms,ideal partner and so on...).
People who can't even sympathize with others who are in pain and who look at them with some sort of disdain because they aren't cheerful and energetic like the kind they like to be around... And I don't know, tbh I find them to be incomplete and I prefer not being around them.

SmileMore

There is however, like the what you mention a second type which unfortunately I'm surrounded by also, that seem to have never have felt any type pain in their lives, and get everything handed to them on a plate from the beginning,(wealth, health, good looks, good family,having a high paid job ready for them in their parents firms,ideal partner and so on...).
People who can't even sympathize with others who are in pain and who look at them with some sort of disdain because they aren't cheerful and energetic like the kind they like to be around... And I don't know, tbh I find them to be incomplete and I prefer not being around them.

Those are the kind of people I mean. They're not "secretly unhappy" they just have nothing much to worry about and will probably never experience real problems because they've been given whatever they want from day one. Especially the ones who boast about the latest things their parents have bought them because they obviously have no class.

Anxy

I have a one friend, who's certainly always laughing and smiling (well, at least it's what everybody sees). She told me a secret. A secret to happiness. She said ''I'm just happy, because others are happy.'' Plus, she always finds positive aspects in life. Even in death, she finds positives. Well, it's easy for her to say to be happy if others are happy. I'm really jealous of people, so that doesn't work this way. I don't really like seeing people happy when I'm sad. But maybe my friend's secret will help some of you.

This is an interesting topic... I was also thinking about this a few days ago after going to a party... From what I've observed, I've seen two types of happy people, the fist type are the kind who despite having a hard life and myriads of vicissitudes, manage to overcome their despair and somehow rise above their adversity and become happy, and to be honest, I can't help but praise these people, I find them very respectable.

I agree with this...some people just seem to attract good luck and prosperity in their lives, almost without trying. I reject the fact they are just putting on some happy mask, i've seen it with my own eyes with my brother...he has the middas touch with anything he does in life, while anything I do turns to poo. He's luck versus mine is unequivocal....the fact he has charming good looks, and has no social issues helps a lot, and imo once you have these qualities a decent life usually follows suit.

gazelle

"Life is truly known only to those who suffer, lose, endure adversity and stumble from defeat to defeat."
Anais Nin

"Life is truly known only to those who suffer, lose, endure adversity and stumble from defeat to defeat."
Anais Nin

this is a nice quote...I suspect I know more about this life then my brother will ever know in his lifetime, but I guess the trade off is he is blessed with much more happiness in his lifetime then I will ever experience.

jaim38

I think it's a result of our upbringing. I had a childhood friend who seems happy and carefree almost all the time. She came from a very loving family. She once talked about the love in her family, but I didn't have anything of that sort to share. The only times she felt unhappy/cried was when someone like my brother bullied her. My family's pretty dysfunctional, plus we also had neighbors who hated us, so there were many unhappy days.

EscapeArtist

This.
But I feel like there is a third type. People who have had to work to get what they have, but who also have always had a good support system (family, friends, potentially money in the family, etc) but their parents have also allowed them to be independent and have small failures to learn from. This type of happy person, who was raised correctly, seems to be the most balanced IMO. They are always happy and may not know how it feels to be super depressed for long amounts of time, but they have the urge to help still.

Emarow

this is a nice quote...I suspect I know more about this life then my brother will ever know in his lifetime, but I guess the trade off is he is blessed with much more happiness in his lifetime then I will ever experience.

But can you really quantify happiness? Sure, maybe some people are happier more often than others, but to people who are not as happy all the time, the one's battling negative thoughts and depression, when they achieve some happiness, whether for a second or a day, that happiness is so much more rewarding for those people than for those who really know no better, because we know the alternative and we've experienced it, so we savour every happy second we get, and that can only motivate us to get more of it till we've solved our problems.

As for some people having everything they want/need, well that's obviously good for them, but personally, i believe that every problem we've faced and every obstacle we've run into and beaten improves us in some way, i know for a fact that i wouldn't be half the person i am today without many of the obstacles that happened in my life, they made me care more about others, improved my character, improved me socially etc.

So to all those people who are having tough times, if you beat your problems (and by if, I mean when, I believe in you!) you'll come out the other side better than ever! :thumbup:

Agent_Violet

I don't think it's so much about the fact that they're happy all the time bc that's impossible.I think it's more that they're genuinely satisfied with their lives and choices.They found a way to let the past stay in the past.They found a way to appreciate the present and get their joy through small things.
Cutting down someone for being satisfied and happy is really evil IMHO.Just bc you haven't found a way to be happy yet doesn't mean you get to run around feeling hateful about those who have found their way.

A small way to start being happier would be to cut out the animosity toward happy people.another way is to stop comparing your life to the lives and fortunes of others.

anomicdeer

Maybe they have to smile or seem happy to make everything better. It does help. Just smile and not worry about the bad things. Or think that the bad things happen to make the other things better and make you stronger.

I try. I still can't smile all the time and stay happy but I am trying. It helps a lot.

xDreamseller

I would consider myself to be happy 99% of the time. I don't know, I just laugh off things that annoy me. If someone was to stand right in my face and shout at me, I'd burst out laughing instead of feeling upset/angry.

Sure, I suck at social interaction and always come up with the perfect thing to say 5 minutes later. I just find enjoyment out of lots of little things and am my own best friend.