Online Gaming

The Lost

Does anyone get anxiety playing online or avoids it altogether? I really enjoy gaming, but I'm always too anxious to play online.

I'm not at all bothered by playing online games. I play quite a bit of them actually. I don't feel completely comfortable using my microphone though, but there are exceptions. Games that completely rely on using voice chat alleviate most of my concerns.

SleepAllDay

I definitely have this problem. I'm especially nervous in PvP games. I'm worried that I'll let my teammates down and everyone will tell me that I suck.

takeheart

the only thing that Im scared of when it comes to online gaming is using the freaking microphone. why I got the damn thing in the first place is beyond me

JackOfSpades

Some games do make me nervous to play online and I feel my skill is being judged or how long I take between turns etc. There are the rare games I feel much better at than everyone else and more confident in, but even then my confidence is shakable. I'm always aware of some perception there might be of me.

Steppen-Wolf

I used to be super scared or even chatting in an online game. Now I don't really care all that much. They're just games, people can't see you and don't care who you are.

I rather dislike the entire way the gaming industry became a social thing.

I really dislike the whole achievement/trophy system, I dislike it when the single player is butchered because the multiplayer is supposed to make up for it, I dislike that from the second I pop in a game everyone in my friends list can see what I've been playing, I dislike ''competitive'' gaming, I dislike leaderboards. Ect.

The only multiplayer I remotely enjoy is co-op gaming. It's like 2 player but without the annoying split screen.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I try to avoid it. But I'm also a huge geek so I'm forcing myself to play SWTOR. :shyness:

I usually solo heroics and flashpoints or die trying but on the rare occasion that someone invites me to a group, my anxiety goes through the roof. I start trembling and sweating just as if I were meeting a stranger irl (at least when you're online no one can see how anxious you really are). The anxiety also impairs my ability to play the game properly. I get distracted, forgetful and I can't think straight. It sort of contradicts the whole reason why I play video games, which is to have fun and escape from the difficulties that life brings. But the geek in me is persistent.

megalon

I can relate, my only exception being race games. I have on very rare occasions tried Halo or COD multiplayer, and I usually do alright. After 1 or 2 matches though, I'll be so anxious that I'm trembling uncontrollably, and forgetting what the controls are, so I have to quit.

O'Killian

I have no problem playing with people I know (here defined as 'people I've played online with for ages'), nor in a purely competitive sense (ala Team Fortress 2), but in anything with a cooperative/group component (ala MMOs) I avoid grouping like the plague. Early on in my gaming career I had some bad cases of people sticking to me like glue - which is the counter argument to 'people don't care who you are'. That's a sad comment on my feelings regarding people getting even remotely close, but eh.

That said I've certainly known burning shame totally out of proportion to the crime and I refrain from any real interaction, but it doesn't bother me when people call me out for whatever reason (because usually the loudest ones are also some admixture of idiot and jerk).

Roman Legion

I have a serious problem with online games as I have a VERY serious gaming addiciton, which I can't ever seem to get away from. Whenever I try to quit gaming, I usually last 1-3 weeks and I'm right back to it. I haven't played this time quitting video games since about 29 October. If there is one bit of advice, be very careful not to get addicted, because things in your life that will be the most rewarding things (For me, school.) will greatly suffer, especially if you are prone to procrastination as I am.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
I suppose that is why I like GW2, its team based without adding team members and social is never needed. Weird but works.

Flanscho

I game quite some online, and have no problems with that. Whether I play singleplayer, with others in a team, against others, it doesn't matter to me. It's just online. I can leave any second.

crazycatlady27

i used to play runescape ( yes i know geeky) but i loved it i could talk to someone if i wanted or just play the game and me and my husband went to a convention of theres and the people there were lovely they didnt judge or be mean
try it you might like it