Online Gaming

I was obsessed with team fortress 2. matter a fact its the only reason why i bought an Xbox 360. I was so obsessed with it that i played it for a year and a half everyday and racked up a lil more than 3000 hours on it or maybe a lil more. It took me away from friends my ex and basically all forms of social interaction. i think its one of the factors of why i have SA too.

I was obsessed with team fortress 2. matter a fact its the only reason why i bought an Xbox 360. I was so obsessed with it that i played it for a year and a half everyday and racked up a lil more than 3000 hours on it or maybe a lil more. It took me away from friends my ex and basically all forms of social interaction. i think its one of the factors of why i have SA too.

Oh god, if you think that's bad. Nowadays you'll get sucked into TF2 hat trading (PC). Super addictive and super frustrating. Pretty cool though, considering I made over 300 bucks for myself and over 300 for my little broski.

xDreamseller

Complete opposite for me. First thing I do when I get the chance is grab my headset, sign in on mumble/ts/vent. I've joined groups of people for tons of different online games through forums and in-game. I really enjoy conversation when there is something to talk about, so playing a game online is perfect. There's always something exciting happening in-game to talk about and then once you get to know each other, you can talk about other "real life" things.

I wish I could be like the "online me" in face to face conversations.

If it's competitive in any way, I'll play it. Got the best lap time in PGR3? Hand me the controller and I'll show you how it's done. If I see you playing Black Ops 2, expect a message saying "1v1 me" (well, maybe not in such 12 year old language).

I just love learning the in's and out's of a game and trying to beat other people at it. I tried making trivial things competitive in person with the people I used to hang out with at school. (Using the trash can in class as a basketball net for example and seeing who could score from furthest etc or anything that can be scored really) Sadly they weren't into that and definitely not when I tried putting wagers on it too haha.

Go for it hardcore or don't bother :bigsmile:

aNOTfox

I carn't even talk on the phone to my friends and family, let alone online with a bunch of strangers XD. Plus I'm really competitive. And a sore loser :p

LostViking

I've been a gamer for years, but have only recently taken the step to use my microphone. So far this has been a terribly positive experience though, as my shrink encouraged me to do it as a way to practice using my voice in social settings. After only a few months I was speaking louder and clearer than I did previously, in all situations whether games were involved or not. Absolutely an experiment others should consider in my opinion, preferably in a "guild" setting where you often get to know the people you play with rather well.

Currently I'm playing Borderlands 2 (mostly offline), and SWTOR (EU), with a bit of Lotro on the side. I have to admit I'm halfway tempted to give out my assorted gamertags in case anyone do want to play and/or chat, but I don't have the balls to do so right at this moment :shyness:

Currently I'm playing Borderlands 2 (mostly offline), and SWTOR (EU), with a bit of Lotro on the side. I have to admit I'm halfway tempted to give out my assorted gamertags in case anyone do want to play and/or chat, but I don't have the balls to do so right at this moment :shyness:

Do you play on Steam?

Luka

I like online gaming :) particularly mmorpgs. Although I don't play with friends nor do I interact with anyone in-game.

I absolutely adore online gaming, but I will rarely speak over microphone unless with a good friend of mine over Skype. I'm terrified of PvP, though.

A good friend of mine attempted to introduce me to a fancy RP WoW server, which sounded very nice at first but upon joining and getting into the game to explore a bit, I was approached by someone and instantly froze up. I used to roleplay when I was younger (and not quite so scared of people), but I had to quit after that. Felt like my heart was in my throat.

Tavon

Love it and I often go out of the way to be the main reason for my teams success. But to pick up the mic and speak is scary. And to ask some of my friends if they want to play is nervewracking so I don't do it. When I was a kid though I didn't care at all.

wariomona

I love single-player gaming and I love same room multiplayer, but online is always difficult. I can't use headsets, ESPECIALLy when someone is in my house with me. My last experience with an MMO (with just typing) wasn't good either.

But someone mentioned Runescape. Back when that was what everyone did (like 7 years ago) I used to make up weird gangs and go around recruiting random people. It felt good to be a leader for a change.

I think I totally would use MMOs to get me more used to coming up with things to say, the problem is that I found not many people actually chat in them...

Flanscho

I like gaming in general. Online, offline, I don't care. I don't mind using headsets either, as long as the people to chat with are mature enough. Normally I use headsets only when necessary though, since simply gaming without headset is more comfortable, and I prefer my surround sound system over the pseudo surround of the headset.

Whether you encounter friendly or harassing people online depends mostly on the game you play. The more a game you play is about "player vs player", and the younger the audience is, the more likely you'll meet people who constantly swear and insult others. So, that's easily avoided.

When I was very young, I was shy about using headsets too (not that they were that popular back then anyway), but over time that changed. It's just far more convenient, and there are fewer misunderstandings that way as well.

Now I think that's kinda funny, when someone in a multiplayer asks "anyone want to use voice chat?", and of 20 people, 15 of them say "my headset just broke" or "my headset is not working" or "I don't have a headset" or something like that. It's so silly somehow. Just say "no thanks" instead of making up some excuses nobody would believe anyway.

Last edited:

sahxox

I gotta say I love my COD haha and due to a rather competitive nature like playing online. It provides a social anonymity which I quite like... sometimes I can talk to others on microphone, sometimes not. However it's not really necessary on this game which is fine by me :)

MotherWolff

Banned
Sadly, I haven't had too many chances to experience the online community because of low finances. I wouldn't let my SA keep me from doing the online gaming; its too darn fun! ^_^

Ive been playing online games for a long time and i always use a headset. I were quite shy when i first started playing online, i didnt use the headset much but then i found my boyfriend on there and now i talk alot with him and his friends! U could probably say that i talk more online to other gamers than i do irl around ppl i dont know.

Swifty

I always get anxious, even with online games. I always end up deleting my characters. I've been playing offline games for a while now. However, there is an online game coming out in anime style that i'm interested in and i wanna try it out. I wonder how that will go:question:

LostViking

I'll necro this thing. I've been offline for a month now playing my arse off in Dark Souls (I don't like invasions). What have everyone else been up to?