Need your opinions

JohnnAY

So I've recently come across a dilemma:

A father of a trusted friend is a well known artist in Beijing. He has offered me room and board if I wanted to come study under his tutelage. This undertaking will last around two years. I don't have the financial means for a four year art institute here in the states (decent art schools in California range around 50k a year); but the only drawback from shadowing him is, unlike a traditional degree, there will be no documentation if I ever look for work afterwards. Art has always been something I thought I was relatively good at, however, it was never something that got me out of bed in the morning.

The second option I'm considering is a complete turnaround from what I've been pursuing up until now. It's been something that's been nagging me for some time. Fitness has always be a part of my life and I do feel like I am at my most happiest when I'm helping others. A degree in physical therapy takes around 6-7 years. I would be starting from square one if I do pursue this.

I guess I'm afraid of failing. If I do accept my friend's offer and it doesn't work out, not only would I have wasted my time and but his time as well. If I start on the path of physical therapy, I would be in my 30's by the time I've completed and there would be no turning back. I enjoy both activities, but which one I want to dedicate the next chapter of my life to is the question.

Steiner

I think physical therapy.

Art is a good hobby imo though.

At least that is the vibe I am getting from your post. That you're leaning towards the physical therapy route.

You do draw amazing art though so.

Don't let my answer sway you.

Klonoa

The whole art tutelage is tempting, since you'd see a different country, a different culture and learn a lot from it.

JohnnAY

Yea, I could consider either of them my hobbies. I just don't know which one takes precedent.

I've been to Beijing before, it's essentially New York with Asians. I can speak mandarine, but not fluently. Another issue that I must consider is the quality of guidance I will receive due to the language barrier.

Thanks for your replies!

Steiner

Could probably try flipping a coin.

If you feel that it's tugging at you then you should probably go the other route? I do this sometimes.

Silatuyok

I would lean toward doing the art thing, simply for the fact that you can always go back and do the physical therapy thing later, but having someone offer to teach you their craft is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you're not going to go into debt by doing the art tutelage, I say go for it with gusto. It doesn't mean that you have to become a professional artist.

JohnnAY

Thanks Marie, that is a good perspective.

I don't know about flipping a coin, but I think the main reason art doesn't tug at me as much as PT, is because I know there are so many others out there who are far more talented.

Last edited:

Steiner

Thanks Marie, that is a good perspective.

I don't know about flipping a coin, but I think the main reason art doesn't tug at me as much as PT, is because I know there are so many others out there who are far more talented.

There are a lot of hungry artists out there. True. I think you are pretty talented though. Perhaps if you just show people your art while doing the physical therapy you could land a job that way. Never know man. It is your choice just giving you some ideas.

JohnnAY

Thanks Steiner. Yea, I'm not completely abandoning one for the other. I will always be doing either one on the side.

Thanks for the comment.

jaim38

This is a hard one. What kind of art will you be studying if you accepted the tutelage? I think art skills are transferable to other industries such as graphic design, marketing, video game design, manga/web comic drawing, cartoon creation, etc. It's not like the old days where you must find patrons to sponsor your artwork, in order to be successful.

There are tradeoffs for both decisions. If you go the art route, you get free training but perhaps limited job prospects, unless you're very talented. If you go the physical therapy route, you get better career prospects, more stable earnings, but saddled with student loans (assuming you have to borrow for 5-6 years of school).

JohnnAY

I will be learning traditional painting: oil, acrylic on canvas. I can draw digitally, but traditional painting is something I'm greatly lacking. No doubt I will be able to transfer the skills over once I get better.

Student loans are something that I don't want to get myself into after hearing all the horror stories. I don't know. At this moment, I'm leaning towards taking him up on his offer.

xeno

I would choose the Therapy it has a lot more potential for making money than an art career unless you can find a buyer for your art work and charge a lot for your work
Do the one with the potential to get you a better career and pay
You can always do art as a hobby in your spare time.

dottie

Do you speak Chinese?

I have studied art at community college, state school (which I am currently enrolled in), and at a private art institution ($$$). From my experience I can tell you that you do not need to spend $50k to get quality training in art. In fact, some of my teachers I learned from in community college spent the other half of their time teaching at *********** one of the most prestigious universities in the world that happens to be nearby. This teacher told me there was zero difference between the painting course he taught there vs. at community college. So, my point is, if you want to hone your painting skills, you can always take summer classes at community college and get excellent instruction.

I say do whatever you are most passionate about! The art world is very competitive and if you're only feeling lukewarm about it then you will be left in the dust. Life does not end at 30, so eff what anyone else thinks.

If you want to minimize student loans live at home (if possible), go to state school, work your *** off, pay off as much as you can in advance, do not spend money on frivolous BS, only accept subsidized loans and borrow as little as possible. It can be done! Just don't take out $40k to learn to give free massages from a school on a Judge Judy commercial lol

JohnnAY

I know enough Chinese to have simple conversations.

That's what I hear too. I've been told by friends who've graduated that Art Schools are only there for networking, but I'm sure there's some exaggeration there. I've gone to some grad shows, and the work on display is simply amazing.

I have a couple of months to decide. I'm going to speak to some of my previous professors to see what they think.

Thanks Dottie

JohnnAY

So, after much consideration and research, I've decided not to pursue PT... There is actually a University not too far from me that has a highly touted BFA program. It's much cheaper than a full fledged art school and I'm already eligible for transfer. My friend's offer is still on the table if I ever have some downtime from school. His father is more than happy to paint with me if only for a couple of weeks.

Thank you for all the responses!

Odo

Banned
I don't think you should just do something because there's an opportunity to do it. The therapy thing seems to be where the demand and your heart is... if you're enjoying what you're doing, then it's easier to be good at it.

Feathers

Seems like you've already decided. I'll throw one more idea into the mix: what about Art Therapy? (not sure how well paid it would be though)
Or checking out PT studies in China? :) Or traditional medicine, or tai chi, or whatever else might be interesting and possibly made into a career too?
Just brainstorming :)

laure15

You can do the tutelage thing over the summer when school's out. It would count as an "internship" or some type of real work experience.