Love-Shyness

^Sorry to hear that renato :(. Very sad indeed. I am in a similar situation. Don't say that you have to be this way for the rest of your life - you don't.

Have you tried cognitive behaviour therapy or medication? Those two have helped me greatly, and I truly feel that someday I'll have a relationship with a special girl. Good luck mate! Feel free to msg me on here if you'd like, for whatever reason and welcome :)

TooShyShy

I have heard that meds do help most people, the right ones, the right amount. But cognitive therapy they say does wonders if you keep at it..don't give up:D

So, maybe the two combined can help many who suffer fromt his?

mrdhall

i didnt know what was wrong with me but this Love-shyness sounds like it could be the reason why i never approach females and never try to take it to an intimate level. Thanks

pondfish

I've read this entire thread and sympathize with most of it. I almost want to cry when I read each person's experience, because I know what it's like.

I came across Gilmartin's book maybe around 2 years ago; downloaded it and read it, but for some reason I've took some time in bothering in talking about it on a message board. Up until now, I've always desired a romantic relationship with a female and have considered myself almost asexual it that I don't have that alpha-male sexual drive like my male friends. I think now I'm starting to worry as the years go by.

I'm male, 24 years old and fit in to most of Gilmartin's definitions. I have never had much physical contact with females. Never kissed and definitely had no sexual contact. When I say 'never had much', I think I remember holding hands or briefly hugging a girl but only in a purely friendly/sarcastic/jokingly way. Never was there a thought of a possible romantic outcome with this person. If there had been my adrenaline and heart would be pumping as if someone had a gun against my head and I'd be shaking and sortof excited sexually (it's new territory) - a situation I'd avoid at all costs.

I believe I fit into being 'love-shy' but don't think I suffer from wider social problems fortunately. My upbringing is as follows. Brought up in a happy family with one older sister and mother and father. Like all young children (I think) girls though boys were horrible etc. and boys though that girls were 'eurgh', something everyone moves on from as they start to show an interest in the opposite sex (not explicitly all the time of course). I have a feeling I took a very long time to grow out of the childish mentality that girls were horrible.

Up until about 7/8 my life couldn't have been better - plenty of children lived in my street and it was a constant case of making a tree house or having a waterfight, but then I had to move house. I left this idyllic home and moved somewhere where contact with people my age was only at school and not outside. I went to a young persons' club on a Saturday morning, but did my own thing while the other boys played soccer. With regard to sports, I loved being active - running, cycling, climbing - but never have had time for soccer or most other team sports until very recently.

Moving to this new place with no children to play with in my spare time, meant I didn't do much and stared to put on weight. On and off my mother had been ill, but caught cancer when I was 11 and died when I was 12. Up until then, I can only remember my mother and father having brief physical contact. Maybe only seeing them kiss once, and hug no more than five time, but then again my memory could be failing me. So from now on I was missing that female figure. I had an older sister, but she wasn't much older and she had lost that female role-model too. My mother had been the off-spring of the 60's feminism movement so had a very good job, intelligent and kind, so I was definitely okay up until 12, but then a void. Putting on a bit of weight, not much, but still the biggest in the class, and being the new kid anyway meant I did suffer some bullying, but I think I dealt with it properly.

Moving onto high school, I had good male friends, and gained more and closer ones as I got older, but in the earlier years being a gamma-male (is that how it works? pecking order goes from alpha to beta to gamma etc?) meant that my alpha and beta male friends went to parties or sleep-overs. Being as I consider highly intelligent, kind, socially aware (notice how people feel and diplomacy) and quite quick witted meant that I wasn't a social recluse. If someone tried some quick jibe, they'd get a better one back. I wasn't scared of most people because I was usually the biggest - tall, wide and strong but still overweight.

As my male friends went to parties or sleep-over to play truth-or-dare and who had to kiss who, I missed out on being forced into that kind of position, but glad I wasn't as I'm not sure how I could have handled it. MSN messenger with other people from school was my friend in the evenings. I was able to talk to girls in a strictly friendly way, but if I was to see them next day I wouldn't say anything. Maybe just nod and smile from a distance. If I was to talk to a girl from close up it would be about something boring, steered towards school work or talk about something else, never what she or I were doing or feeling.

I made one or two good female friends, and had a good rapport with a lot of other girls in my school year, but my attitude was always sarcastic and borderline insulting. I don't know why, maybe so that they wouldn't like me too much so I was never liked and put in an awkward position, not that I didn't want that. Those one or two good female friends have now distanced themselves from me, probably thinking I was odd. Those one or two were strictly friends, I wouldn't imagine thinking about them in a romantic way as it would ruin everything. They were people who understood my boring 'intellectual' interest and were around to talk to lunch time and not playing soccer etc.

Moving onto college I went straight from school and ended up dropping out after three months, as a result of not being ready to go. Not being prepared to go and the whole social aspect of it, I kept myself to myself concentrating on work of which I time and time again got 100% in assignments. At the beginning of college I thought maybe I'd chosen the wrong one. I ran away home in tears thinking what a mess I'd made. My dad made efforts to try and maybe get me into another one short notice, but I decided to stick it out for longer in case I was over-reacting - give it a try. Dropping out and coming home I went into a depression for about 3 or 4 months, something I never thought would happen. Life was flat. I'd messed up and had no idea what I or anyone was to do next, and most of my friends had moved away to college.

I got a job and started going to the gym, something I enjoyed and made a habit. I went on holiday and that trip away with my dad, a keen traveler, sightseeing etc did so much to pull me out of that depression. As my friends were in college, I wasn't leaving anyone at home, so I made a full detachment. I gave college a go again and that went ok. Again I made friends with some females but I was always sarcastic/borderline insulting. I made some rather good female friend but they had boyfriends - possibly the reason why, and again I would absolutely not think of them romantically.

I've finished college and got into the routine of a full time job. I go to the gym etc. and hang out with male friends, but making new female friends seems unforeseeable. I've thought about joining some societies or clubs I have no interest in just so I have the potential for meeting females, but I'm not sure how I'd react to any advancements.

That's my background, but it doesn't say much as why do I think I'm 'love-shy'. I'm guessing that many might say that I have no problem as I am able to talk to females, but I must stress that it's only in a totally unromantic way. The slightest though of me being in a position of being advanced upon or quickly kissed innocently repulses me.

From a general social point of view, I'm above average confident. I can speak publicly to a crowd, therefore am not shy. The problem arises with members of the opposite sex. I'm aware that I could be imagining I have these symptoms after reading Gilmartin's book but am quite certain I am not.

I would say that I desire classy or well-behaved (not vulgar) lively females, that are very attractive. I see my friends dancing and kissing with drunk girls I would consider unattractive and don't understand why. The friends I go out drinking with are mostly alpha-males and can get some of the most stunning girls sometime. I'm usually there sharing in the jokes and having a laugh but never in conversations with females. It's not an environment I'd want to either. I would have to know the girl first before I would even consider letting anything happen. Having said this, I can only thing of females in the most romantic of ways. Not just picking a girl up sleeping with her and letting her go, but really sharing her company, just holding her or lying next to her and smiling at each other. I typically dream of some slow ballroom dancing with a beautiful girl to soft classical music.

I mentioned I go to the gym. It sounds stupid but I have more than once dreamt about being the Incredible Hulk or something, somebody that nobody can take advantage of, has everyone's attention but is hiding an almost shameful secret, where there could be that one girl trying to understand and get close. A sad story of hiding something that is completely not your fault and society being completely against you. I would say that it's escapism.

I have had and still do have vivid violent dreams about some people. I know people will think I'm a psychopath now, but I'm what some might call a gentle giant. I've never hit anyone, and don't think I ever could. Such dreams involve scumbags you hear about in the news e.g. someone who's raped and killed someone, or someone who's made me furious by hitting someone I love. All I can think about is just letting loose and taking it completely out on them, picking up a baseball bat and carrying on, snapping their arm etc. Gruseome stuff. I only mention it because Gilmartin also mentions it.

The most obvious symptoms I have is an obsession with a handfull of girls I've known in my life. If only they knew how often I thought about them and to what lengths I go just to know what they're doing, where the live or what they like, they would be seriously scared. I'd go to any lengths just to try and get closer. Go to stupid meetings just in case she'd be there. Deliberately drive past her house. Try and get someone else to talk about her. Maybe overly laugh at something that has happened to her when it wasn't funny at all. It's hard to describe how this person stays in your head. It's almost like when someone close has just dies. He or she is stuck in your mind almost constantly for at least a few days. For a ridiculous reason now, I'm obsessed with another girl. We both went to the same college but she has now got a job not very far from my hometown. He job location has more or less dictated that I move back home, rather than stay in my exciting college town with other friends. The stupid thing is she lives too far away at the moment, but just the thought or the hope that I went to visit the town where she works and bumped into her. With one girl I was obsessed with in school, I don't think I was absent at all in five years, just so that I could see her. Of course she or anyone else never felt the same about me.

I have the obsessive symptom with girls I know, and for those I do or don't know, I can't communicate with them if I think there could be anything romantic involved. Both males and females have said I'm a handsome person and a gentleman (here we go again). Personally I don't see it physically. I would say that my personality is very good - good manners, educated, polite, practical, good humoured - but physically I don't rate myself highly. In fact I haven't cared much, but that's changing now. I know girls have liked me but I've never reciprocated since I didn't consider them to be very attractive. I've sometimes thought about going for it just to lose my virginity, but I'm starting to shake now knowing I wouldn't know what to do, and she would tell her friends and people I know that there's something wrong with me. Even something such as a kiss in a bar wouldn't happen. I wouldn't know what to do and if there was an audience I'm sure how I'd cope. Since I do go to bars and clubs with my male friends I am put into these environments. Any girls that have tried talking to me, I said a few words back but if I notice them try to get close or even hold my hand, i make an excuse to go to the toilet - go there for 5 mins, then go for a walk on my own around the club pretending to be looking for someone in a hurry. I leave with my heart racing and my body shaking. Any girls that have tried dancing next to me, I really quickly go to the toilet, to disguise my erection. Again I sound like a wierdo, but I have no idea how to react. The thought of a girl getting very close or holding my hand brings out the most extreme of arousal in me.

With females in general, if they are married, have a boyfriend or children I can talk to them as if they were any other male. It has no effect on me, however if I know she a single attractive female it's completely different. If I happen to be in a group of people say 8 male and 2 attractive young females, my eye contact will be exclusibely with the males. I'd find it hard to look at the females, or know where to look. I'd throw the odd glance, or make it look my head's turned that way so that nobody finds my behavious odd or assumes I'm gay.

I've read mentions of 'love-shy' males going with prostitutes to try and break the spell and it has crossed my mind too, but the idea is abhorrent to me. I wouldn't want to lose my virginity to just anyone. It would have to be completely 'organic' as someone has already said, with someone I know and care about and can wholly trust.

Well this is sortof my story. As I've mentioned by anxiety is very specific - 'love-shy' with females only. I have no problem with talking to people in general. I might be able to help one or two of you here with wider social problems. I'm getting worried now that my unfullfilled longing for a relationshipcould turn into a depression.

TooShyShy

Can a man be love shy with only ONE GIRL (completely anxious, paralyzed with fear, can't speak, little eye contact) yet be perfectly ok to date other women...past or present?

Would that be possible that only ONE girl could make him feel that way?

Thanks in advance:D

goldenholds

Can a man be love shy with only ONE GIRL (completely anxious, paralyzed with fear, can't speak, little eye contact) yet be perfectly ok to date other women...past or present?

Would that be possible that only ONE girl could make him feel that way?

Thanks in advance:D

To be honest, I'd like to know the answer to that myself!!!

From my own behavior in the past I have certainly been too anxious to date anyone, regardless of who they were or how I felt. I could have talked with them, especially at work where I was more confident, but not do anything romantic. Sometimes I talked to other women just to show that I could, to cover up my embarrassment of being anxious around women. And though I didn’t outright lie, I sometimes talked about the past in such a way that it left the impression that I had done more with women, when in fact I had not. I didn't want anyone to know, so I took any opportunity to cover it up, especially from someone I liked. I couldn't have her know what a useless sack of poop(sic) I was after all.

I am not proud of that, so one thing I will try to do in the future is that if I am anxious around someone, I will try and just tell them. I have difficulty doing that because I am afraid of presuming too much to be talking about such things. I feel like telling someone I am anxious around them is as good as telling them I like them, and I feel that that may not be appropriate, especially if they are already in a relationship. Afraid to show someone I like them is the whole reason I am anxious in the first place. So I'm stuck in a catch 22. But the more I hear from people who are on the opposite end of the anxiousness, and how confused they are, the more I feel it is only fair to tell people you are anxious.

Another thing, as I get older and better at dealing with and understanding the anxiousness, the more I think I could manage a date now. I have not, but that’s not to say I could not and will not in the future. And yet, if I were to run into someone that I had already known and really liked, I'd might be so anxious I'd have trouble even saying hello, and would quite likely runaway or freeze and pretend I didn't see them. ::(:

So it is possible to be anxious around just the one person, or to have varying degrees of anxiousness around different people. How do you know exactly how someone feels and why they behave the way they do? I don't know how to tell exactly what someone else is feeling, nor can I tell you how to know. A trick sometimes is to look for what they are NOT doing, instead of what they are doing. And it sounds like to me your guy is NOT doing just about everything. But you already know that. The only way you will really know is if they tell you themselves, and that probably won't happen anytime soon. If someone is anxious, the anxiousness will prohibit them from saying they are anxious. Well I'm gonna do it anyway, I'm just gonna say it, and laugh in the anxiousness' face, up yours anxiousness, I'm running the show now.

Sorry for the long one, bye now.

Last edited:

krs2snow

... so one thing I will try to do in the future is that if I am anxious around someone, I will try and just tell them. I have difficulty doing that because I am afraid of presuming too much to be talking about such things. I feel like telling someone I am anxious around them is as good as telling them I like them, and I feel that that may not be appropriate, especially if they are already in a relationship. Afraid to show someone I like them is the whole reason I am anxious in the first place. So I'm stuck in a catch 22.

I think what ur saying sounds like a good idea. Remember, u don't have to say "You make me really anxious" to the person to tell them how ur feeling. U don't have to be super blunt. That might make the other person feel funny and they may not know how to respond. You just need to acknowledge what ur feeling. I think if ur wanting to be honest w/whomever ur talking to u should try to tell them a good bit of information in a little sort of way. Like "Hey, sometimes I feel funny in social situations... anxiety and all.." You could even add a compliment to them into ur speal so they know u enjoy being around them. "I sometimes have a hard time talking to pple in certain situations... anxiety an all, u know? But I do like talking to you" I think addressing the elephant in the room instead of trying to pretend it doesn't exist is a great idea. That way u've hit it head-on and noone can come at u with some question that will throw u into a dizzy spell like "Why are u acting so fidgity?" (Or for me, "why are u so RED?!") I've taken to humor w/my turning red. I used to be unbelievably uncomfortable around pple b-cuz any conversation would turn me bright red. My face was like a flashing beacon. A neon sign."Embarrassed". "Stupid". "Lame". All in caps and RED lettering for everyone to read. But, I started simply by accepting that I turn red when in conversation w/others. Then, I started adding humor into it. I now say to pple, right off the bat, too, "Hey, I know I'm really red. I can't help it. My dad's a tomato". Its stupid but it usually gets a laugh and the other person doesn't have to wonder "Why is she so red??" I addressed it head-on and usually, the redness subsides pretty quickly after I acknowledge it. I'd be willing to bet ur anxiety will lessen too, when u just simply acknowledge its existence instead of trying to hide from it.

...So it is possible to be anxious around just the one person, or to have varying degrees of anxiousness around different people. How do you know exactly how someone feels and why they behave the way they do? I don't know how to tell exactly what someone else is feeling, nor can I tell you how to know. A trick sometimes is to look for what they are NOT doing, instead of what they are doing. And it sounds like to me your guy is NOT doing just about everything. But you already know that. The only way you will really know is if they tell you themselves, and that probably won't happen anytime soon..

Tooshyshy, You should read the above at least four-times over. U have spent so many of ur days agonizing over this one guy. I don't think the questions ur asking are getting u anywhere. All of ur questions are based around him. The real question u should be asking urself is why are u so stuck on this one person? Really, why is He "The One" for u? Why are u so conviced he's the right guy? Why do u think u're in love w/him? U haven't even gone on a date w/him, from ur own admissions, u haven't even held a real conversation w/him. What happened to the New Years Resolution? U're living in ur own mind. It's u that has the problem, not ur too shy guy. I'm guilty of the same type of things and I would of killed for someone to tell it to me straight. To tell me what I needed to hear instead of what I wanted to hear. But u don't seem interested. All u want to hear, all ur open to hearing, are stories from pple telling u how they couldn't express their feelings to "the one" they loved. Imagine that. Just ur situation. I think u're foolish and wastefull and silly all mixed up into one. But, I guess I see a lot of myself in what ur doing and I'm compelled to respond. Ur posts are repetitive and stale. They say the same thing every single time. Its nothing new. At some point, u must look at urself. U need to value urself. Stop assuming and start demanding. If u wanted to be w/this guy for so long why haven't U taken the chance? Why have u left it all up to him? Why haven't U put urself out there? Is ur too shy guy not the one with SA? Are U the one w/SA?

goldenholds

^ Some good points on how to tell someone you are anxious, I will try and use them. And I've always suspected that if I fessed up that it would reduce the anxiousness. After all, the anxiousness itself is enough to make anyone anxious, and then more anxious. A full out panic attack is really only a succession of more anxiousness on top of anxiousness.

As for tooshyshy, I think it's as well to tell your face not to turn red as to tell her to stop asking questions about her shy guy. Some things just are. If nothing else it has helped me and others see the confusion that my anxiousness can cause others. And that has given me reason to express more truthfully and openly how I feel. I had trouble believing before that it was the right thing to do, or that it really mattered to anyone. Well it matters to tooshyshy, and thats enough for me.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the shy guy to read all her posts and have reason himself to express whatever is going on in his mind, good or bad. If I were tooshyshy I'd give him the web address and username and tell him to start reading. I know if I had access to these forums years ago maybe I could have gotten over being a shy guy myself, and managed to have a relationship back when there were girls that were actually interested in me. And they were almost all single back then at some time or another. Not anymore. Course I had no idea then that they were interested in me, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered. They could have held a big sign that said "do me" and jumped up and down and I still would have had no idea. Oh well, what do ya do when ya live in a shoe.

Ugh, sick of trying to 'find love' or even 'hoping' for it - it gives me false aspirations and I feel like crap when I don't live up to them. I'm better off not looking or even hoping (though not hoping is harder) for love and accepting that I may be by myself the rest of my life. I am fine with this, as long as my family is alive and well, and they love me, I'm fine :).

Girls are too complicated to understand anyway :rolleyes: and I like to understand everything :cool:

Kiwong

Some blokes on another website appear to disguise their desperation to get laid, and their apparent dislike for females, who they believe are the cause of the involuntary celibacy, as love shyness. It is wrong that these guys have stolen the term love shy and are abusing it.

goldenholds

Some blokes on another website appear to disguise their desperation to get laid, and their apparent dislike for females, who they believe are the cause of the involuntary celibacy, as love shyness. It is wrong that these guys have stolen the term love shy and are abusing it.

I agree with Kiwong. Most other forums that I have found, some that are even dedicated to love shyness, do not talk about love shyness at all. They are full of guys just complaining about women. It is very difficult to find a site that actually talks about loveshyness, and its manifestations.

This site is about social phobia, and yet this is the best site that I have found for discussions about loveshyness. And thanks I offer to the endearing tooshyshy for sharing her story.

Gingerstig

I'm 28 (soon to be 29) and ashamed to say still a virgin but tonight reading about love-shyness and reading these posts does give me a glimmer of hope to at least know that i'm not alone with this problem. Until tonight I seemed to live through life thinking maybe it's just me but at least this doesn't seem to be the case. It's not that I can't talk to women as I know quite a few women who I often talk to or socialise with and i've even kissed women before (although not for a long time) but thats as far as I ever seem to be willing or able to take things. About 10 years ago now I knew that a good friend of mine was really interested in me (and this went on for months) and to be honest I really liked her too but I just couldn't bring myself round to just going for it. All the time in the back of my mind I was thinking "i'm not good enough for her" and "she'll soon figure out she's made a mistake and dump me anyway" even though she clearly felt different. Eventually while we was out on the town one night she took the initiative and made the move. That night we kissed and danced and it was by far the best night out i've ever had. I remember at the end of the night we left the club and she stood half outside of a taxi as if to say "come on, you're comming home with me" but for some reason I just froze, stood there at the side of the road like an idiot knowing I wanted to get in but I was just unable to so she eventually jumped in the cab and went home. We kind of dated for the next week or so but due to working paterns we didn't get to see much of each other and she broke things off saying she just wanted to be friends but if i'm honest I think I just came across as being totally uninterested. Still after then we hung around together alot to the point where I fell in love with her. Even after she still showed signs of interest in me from time to time but even with the intense feelings I had for her I couldn't make a move and tell her how I felt. Eventually she started dating again, married and moved away. We are still really good friends and get on very well. A couple of weekends ago I spent the whole weekend with her (just the two of us) and it was one of the best times i've had in a long time but it just hurts like hell to know I love her but blew my chance a long time ago due to this unexplainable fear I have of getting romantically involved with women. I do feel somewhat fortunate after reading some of the posts on here that at least i've had a mild taster of relationships and love even if the latter has left a burning hole that doesn't seem to be able to be filled, but at the same time like many I really can't see me ever getting rid of this fear and therefore when I look to the future I can only see myself as being single.

goldenholds

"I remember at the end of the night we left the club and she stood half outside of a taxi as if to say "come on, you're comming home with me" but for some reason I just froze, stood there at the side of the road like an idiot knowing I wanted to get in but I was just unable to so she eventually jumped in the cab and went home."

The next time this happens to you, either right then or as soon as you are able, tell her how you feel just like you told us then. She may still move on, but at least she will know how you felt. And she may also be understanding, and at least she will have the benefit of knowing the truth instead of assuming that you do not like her.

And I will try to do the same thing. I have a difficult time saying how I feel when I know I can't act on how I feel, because I think this will disappoint them even more. But letting them believe an untruth is much worse. So I will try.

Gingerstig

The next time this happens to you, either right then or as soon as you are able, tell her how you feel just like you told us then. She may still move on, but at least she will know how you felt. And she may also be understanding, and at least she will have the benefit of knowing the truth instead of assuming that you do not like her.

And I will try to do the same thing. I have a difficult time saying how I feel when I know I can't act on how I feel, because I think this will disappoint them even more. But letting them believe an untruth is much worse. So I will try.

Easier said than done but thank you for the support. I think the thing is these days it's a whole lot easier to spill all your emotions out on the internet to a bunch of people you've never met or never going to meet than talk to someone face to face. Of course the plus side is it's also easier to find and talk to people who have the exact same problem as you do. Unfortunately the "relationship" I talked about there is the last bit of "romantic" involvement i've had with any woman but I think a major part of my problem is that if I don't feel confident in myself I just don't feel confident at all. I'll be the first to admit I am overweight and i'm not in any means attractive but i'm working on my fitness now to try and help with my self confidence. Alot of the time in the back of my mind i'll be thinking in my current state it just wouldn't be fair to anyone one else to get romantically envolved with me, but i'm hoping by getting fit and removing that burden it might help me gain a bit of self confidence. I was talking to my sister in law tonight and she was talking about me getting into a realationship telling me that I am a fairly attractive and sweet guy and that I do have alot to offer someone but I think it's just a case of getting past that barrier in my head. I've decided that this year I am going to try and have a more positive outlook and try and grab life by the horns a bit more, but while it all rolls off the tongue very nicely it's actually getting out there and doing it thats the key. I do apologise if I am babbling on a bit but it's been my birthday today and I have had a few drinks. This year I will try my best and to be honest if the unthinkable happens and I do manage to find love it will not only prove to me that I do have what it takes but hopefully to all of you suffering with the same problem that if I can do it...... so can you! :)

GoBlue72

Gingerstig, your post was actually really moving and I can sympathize/empathize with you. I don't think I have ever been in your exact situation for sure, but your description just makes it so clear what you and others go through with this thing. Looks like I'm almost ten years older than you(38), but so many of these love-shy stories hit a nerve with me. Looking back at my life so far, I can't think of any situations as clear cut as the one you described, as a "missed opportunity." Had it not been for my best friend's promiscuous younger cousin visiting from California when I was 22 years old, I would still be a virgin. By the grace of God, she did all the pursuing and I did not flee. However, in the 15+ years since, no dice. I had probably one sure shot a couple years later, but the girl was way drunk and a co-worker of my mother. She wanted to get it on in my bedroom of my parents' house, while my parents were downstairs. I think her sheer drunkenness and the fact it was the middle of a Saturday with my parents there helped me turn her down. But had I known I'd be celibate from then until now, I would've at least thought twice. I needed one of those future versions of myself to come back to that year and warn me. haha.

Anyhow, good luck with everything. Self-confidence problems definitely suck. It's cool that your sister in law told you you're attractive. I was lucky enough to have the girl I mentioned sleeping with tell me the same. It means a little more coming from someone you're not related to. I tend to think it would sink in after awhile if you kept hearing it, but unfortunately it's kind of rare to hear if you aren't actually dating someone, right?

Gingerstig

Thank you for your thoughts and understanding GoBlue. Over the last 15 or so years has it just been a case of you not really persuing women or the fact that no one really seems interested in you? Because you've already proven to yourself in the past that you can do it and I would think (or hope) that would then make things alot easier in the future.

Yeah haha, I know what you mean with the "future versions of myself" comment. When I look back at some of the things in life (primarily the story I told in my previous post) I would love nothing more to be able to go back in time, give myself a slap and say "what the hell are you doing!?!? Pull yourself together, man up and don't screw this up" :D

As for being told that your fairly attractive, yes I would say it's very rare unless your dating someone but hey, any kind of compliment has to be good for self confidence right? (even if you don't always believe it yourself) :)

GoBlue72

Yeah, well I think the one girl I turned down was probably 3 years after the cousin of my friend. So, maybe I was figuring "hey, every three years I get a girl interested in me without trying much." So probably closer to 12 years since the second one, in which I admit having NOT pursued women much. Problem is, I compare myself to friends which I should not. However, it usually comes up when I've complained about the lack of women and someone asks how my friends met their spouses. Out of the 8 or 9 friends I have in my group, I wouldn't call any of them Don Juan. I might've mentioned this on another thread, but one met his wife on a boat ride of all women and himself, my brother married his best friend's sister, my best friend's first wife worked with him and sat on his lap while drunk at a work party. Get this: his younger brother is now married to a woman he met because her best friend dated his brother. Guess who met this friend first and spoke to her first in line for the bar? Yup, me. I put myself out there, but what conversations I do have don't seem to go anywhere.

And yes, I think compliments can be like affirmations up to a certain point. Although you may never see yourself as a Brad Pitt or George Clooney, continually hearing that you are attractive would mean it's true or there's a very big conspiracy. ;)

BTW, I did have a girl I dated about five years back and things actually progressed along for four months. But guess what? Waaa waaaaa!!!! She was a 39 year old virgin with body issues, and a Catholic upbringing. She didn't believe in premarital sex(which was what I was raised to believe, but I also believed people were married by 25 or 30), and she said she "didn't do oral sex." :confused:

JamesSmith

All love-shy people will truly be free when they realize that you don't need a significant other, unless of course you already know that. Don't let society fool you into thinking you need a wife and kids. There was one time I had this 40 year old woman try to tell me that I "needed to talk more so I could have a wife and children some day." This just shows you how ignorant much of society is. So many people think other people need intimate partners and children. And when someone actually doesn't abide by society's love-slave thinking, they are criticized for being weird. Right now, I have no desire for a g/f, wife or kids, nor could i even afford these people. It angers me that so many people look at these things as something you are supposed to do. Show me where the law is that says you need this family stuff. There isn't. Every single time I've told someone in real-life that I don't wanted to get married they got mad at me. It's so sad that people look at me as some evil person for questioning love and stating that I don't want marriage. There are billions of people on earth, it's not like me not having kids is going to ruin the world.

Gingerstig

All love-shy people will truly be free when they realize that you don't need a significant other, unless of course you already know that. Don't let society fool you into thinking you need a wife and kids. There was one time I had this 40 year old woman try to tell me that I "needed to talk more so I could have a wife and children some day." This just shows you how ignorant much of society is. So many people think other people need intimate partners and children. And when someone actually doesn't abide by society's love-slave thinking, they are criticized for being weird. Right now, I have no desire for a g/f, wife or kids, nor could i even afford these people. It angers me that so many people look at these things as something you are supposed to do. Show me where the law is that says you need this family stuff. There isn't. Every single time I've told someone in real-life that I don't wanted to get married they got mad at me. It's so sad that people look at me as some evil person for questioning love and stating that I don't want marriage. There are billions of people on earth, it's not like me not having kids is going to ruin the world.

I do have to agree with you to a certain extent James. Yes I do think society does tend to put too much pressure on people to have the "perfect" lifestyle as such with a wife and children. I have to admit I do get a bit annoyed with the constant badgering off friends and familly to find a girlfriend and settle down. One thing in life that really does seem to bug me is when friends go down the route of trying to set me up with a date etc. Having said all that though I have to admit that I would love nothing more than to find a partner and settle down, but I also think that person should be found naturally so to speak and not forced upon me just because we are both single at the time. Of course before that's ever likely to happen I need to sort myself out first and try and get past that barrier inside my head.

A friend

I used to think I was the only person who knew this.

Last edited: