Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

• No, it's easy for me to say "hi (name)" to someone I know

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Yes, it's hard for me to say "hi (name)", but I'm usually able to say "hi" without saying their name

Votes: 43 50.0%
  • It's very hard for me to say "hi" at all, even without saying their name

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters

meco1999

Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them (for example, saying "Hi Mark" or "Hi Sarah" when you pass them in the office)? Or are you only able to say "hi" without the name? Or is it hard to say "hi" at all, even without saying their name?

Do people need to say "hi" to you first before you can say "hi" back?

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Re: Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

I rarely say anyone's name. Just "hi".

Re: Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them (for example, saying "Hi Mark" or "Hi Sarah" when you pass them in the office)? Or are you only able to say "hi" without the name? Or is it hard to say "hi" at all, even without saying their name?

Do people need to say "hi" to you first before you can say "hi" back?

The Room - "Hi, Mark." - YouTube

But srsly, yes. It's very hard for me to say hi to someone. I've been working on that recently though. But I mainly just do a small wave or make an acknowledging nod.

BleedTheFreak

I don't have a problem saying hi to anyone but I almost never call people by name, even family members. I'm not sure why that is.

I have found that people are actually nicer to you if you use their name when you say Hi.
So I make the effort, even though it does feel too intimate for me.
What I can't stand is when I met someone and I am required to give them my name, like "Hi, I'm *******. That freaks me out.

laure15

I don't like my voice. When I say 'Hi' to people, my voice usually comes out as a mixture of raspiness/part-girliness/part-tomboyishness. It sounds horrible. When people say "Hi", they end on a high note (which suggests happiness), so when I'm feeling down, I don't feel like saying 'Hi' to people.

Flanscho

Depends on how many people are there.

If there are a few good friends, it's no problem. If there are many people, like on a party though, I... well, just say "hi" anyway.

Greeting good friends who arrive after me though is a bit more difficult. Do I get up as soon as I see them enter? Do I wait until they greet me? I don't know. Normally I just "hi" them, and they then walk around, hugging and greeting people, and sooner or later get to me too.

Sometimes it's like this:
Me: Well, I got to go. Have a nice evening everyone.
(people keep talking and whatnot)
Me: Uhm, bye.
(people pay no attention)
Me: *opens the door and leaves*

Well, normally it's not that bad. There are most often one or two friends who come over to hug for a goodbye.

Lisy

I usually say only "hi", expecially with relatives. I don't know why but I'm not able to say their names in front of them.
When my parents don't hear the doorbell, I only tell them "there is someone at the door", even if it is a relative I know well :S

Raichel

jkugiuuhojhjk

Last edited:

Rembrandt Broam

Yeah I've always had problems with "Hi (name)" and I always stick to just "Hi". I think I have a hangup about seeming overly familiar, which is why I think I avoid using names, even when I've known someone for months or years.

OceanMist

Yes and no. Depends.

Rawz

YES. I don't know why. I don't have as hard a time talking to people these days, but still I have a really hard time saying people's names. I'm not sure why. I don't remember ever saying other peoples names when I was a kid either, except when I asked to speak to them when making phone calls (to go to friend's houses). So I guess I've just had a habit all my life of never saying people's names.

It doesn't feel natural, it feels awkward.

Supernova

Yes, I have always noticed this. I have been going to a place for about 4 years now and I can say hi to someone but saying hi <name> is a lot harder. I do tend to forget peoples names in the heat of the moment, but its more than that. Its like its too familiar.

Its the same as when someone asked me how are you, I always say "yeah not too bad" but I wouldn't ask them. I have now forced myself to ask how they are too but I still don't sometimes.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

I also have a difficult time saying "Hi" back to someone loudly enough to be heard. I've been gotten on to for not saying "Hi" back when I said it too quietly on numerous occasions. Worse is the people who don't complain, and just silently think I'm ignoring them.

::(:

mikebird

Banned

This is a powerful thread! It's got me thinking.

I don't really use the phrase. I get it a lot from others, who are gleeful, as if it's due praise to remember a person's identification. It scores along with "alrite? you alrite? You OK?" as a daily introduction. To me, it's a part-greeting and a pry for 'how... are... you... tell me all... about... you...!!'

I prefer discussing anything beyond that, the weather... a .. topic... about physics

In offices, in hospital, it makes me think I have to exist amongst simpletons.

This thread has given me fuel for thought. Next time I meet any stranger (street, via friend(s) or at interview) I will start by announcing that "I won't remember your name". Mmm name badges are good, but the way they're worn, if bending down, or spinning on a chair, I can't read 'em. Meeting 15 people (eg. work or restaurant) doesn't let me latch to any name - just their face. I need a meaningful event or something we spoke about. I am far too timid to ask anyone what their name is, ever again, but I'm learning. I've had to meet randomly in the toilets, to ask another person's name. I feel shamed about direction relation to others. I have a goldfish memory.

I think it's my reason to get fired in every office. It hurts

JuiceB

I try to say hi but my real problem is speaking up loud enough so they actually hear me.

PhantomPod

I have a very hard time saying "Hi" to people. If I pass a co-worker in the hallway, they usually say hi first. When I say "hi" or "good morning" to someone, I feel like I say it too quietly sometimes. I used to have a great deal of anxiety when I had to walk into my office building and past the receptionist. I have gotten better at it now, but there have been many times where I said "good morning" and she did not hear me because I spoke so softly.

Helmaninquiel

It's not really hard for me to say "Hi" to anyone but that's all I can really do.. When it comes to conversations that's when it becomes hard.

chibiXphantom

usually just "hi". i dont have a problem with saying "hi" to anyone, but i dont like saying peoples names. it just feels awkward to me, even with family and friends. i usually only say it if im trying to get someone's attention, but even then, i dont like saying peoples names

Labyrinthine

I tend to just say "Hi". Actually, it's normally "Hello" though. For reasons unknown, I can feel strange saying a name. It's not a huge deal though. I'll do it if they say mine for example. If I'm the first one to say hello, I really never say a name.