Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

• No, it's easy for me to say "hi (name)" to someone I know

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Yes, it's hard for me to say "hi (name)", but I'm usually able to say "hi" without saying their name

Votes: 43 50.0%
  • It's very hard for me to say "hi" at all, even without saying their name

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
Re: Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

I can get caught up and worry if they'll hear me the first time and hurry past in certain situations that I can, but if i'm sure they are looking at me i'll give a hello indintation.

CursedSoul

Banned
Re: Is it hard for you to say "Hi (name)" to someone you know when you approach them?

Its actually hard for me to say even 'hi'

xylo

Banned

YES! I have WAY too much of a problem with this. Everyday I pass the same faces, but each face I know to differing degree's, and trying to figure out who to say hi to, and when and how etc I still find causes me way too much discomfort than seems suitable. I mean it's such a small word! Why should it matter so much? But it kills me!

Sometimes I'll overcook it and say hi to someone I barely know when they're not even looking, busy with something else, and they'll glance at me but just ignore me and won't say hi in return. And that hurts sometimes.

Other times I'll undercook it, and I'll see someone coming towards me who I really ought to smile and say hello too, but I bottle it and keep my head down, or look the other way and stay silent, and I can tell from my peripherals that they were going to say hello but saw how I reacted, and I worry they think I did it because I don't like them.

Other times, when the approach is long, I feel like we're meant to fill the space with more small talk, and that's really hard. Other people always try to keep small talk light and funny, but my small talk, if I can even manage any, always ends up dead straight.

I don't have any of these problems with people I know reasonably well. It's only those casual aquaintances/strangers. I think it feels like such a big deal to me because it's the only communication I have with these people and so it's like our whole relationship is hinged on something so small as a "hello". So I judge it with too much scrutiny.

Sorry for the long post.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

It depends on the situation, usually simply saying hi is not difficult but at the same time usually I don't say hi unless someone else says it first, in which I have no problem saying "hi" in response. I usually nod and wave too since speaking loudly enough is a problem for me, especially with people I do not know well or at all. Or if it someone I know is going to say hi I may do it first, or more likely just acknowledge them (which is all hello really is) with a nod or a friendly look maybe or wave.

I do have trouble initiating hello's though, because usually it means I am going to the person for a specific reason, like to ask a question or tell them something. I won't just say hello out of friendliness unless they say it first or I know them well.

Maybe sometimes if I feel very awkward around a person, but if I know them well then no. I think it depends.

MikeyC

I like saying hi and using their name. It shows I've remembered their name and they're currently priority in my thoughts. If it makes them feel good, then that's great.

Solitudes_Grace

It ranges a lot for me. For some people, it is very difficult for me to initiate a greeting when I approach them, so I usually don't do it at all. For other people, it is a little uncomfortable for me, but I force myself to do it anyway. I only feel perfectly comfortable expressing a greeting to very few people.

this_portrait

I have trouble calling people by their names, for some reason. Saying hello without inserting a name afterward is much easier.

xDreamseller

I'm trying to make a conscious effort to say "Hi (name)", but if the person catches me off guard, my mind goes blank and I can't think of their name in time to reply with their name without there being an awkward pause, so "Hi" will have to do.

MikeyC

I'm trying to make a conscious effort to say "Hi (name)", but if the person catches me off guard, my mind goes blank and I can't think of their name in time to reply with their name without there being an awkward pause, so "Hi" will have to do.
I have the same issue, too. It can be hard to unscramble your brain to find their name when you're caught off-guard.

At my morning shift, I have lots of names to remember - over 100, easy - so I try to say their name when greeting them because then it reinforces the name-to-face memory and it shows I took the time to remember their name. I can't remember everyone's name, though. :)