I don't care about anything but getting a job.

this_portrait

That's how it appears to look lately.

Forget school, socializing, dating, hobbies, and keeping my apartment clean. I'll procrastinate on all of that in favor of job searching.

In a way, I feel like I'm starting to define my worth based on how much I work. Since that isn't much at the moment, I haven't been thinking too highly of myself.

When I woke up this morning, I found a rejection e-mail to a job I applied for (and even had an interview with). Hours later, I sent a follow-up e-mail to another job I applied for, but got a rejection message back not long after.

I've applied for a few more jobs today. Seems like over half of the ones I apply to never get back to me.

All I want is to just earn a living. Is that too much to ask for?

Iluv

Sorry to hear they shot you down for the job.
Job searches can be complicating sometimes but eventually the right one will come along.
The trick I find is not to put too much time and not to put too little time, just the right balance. It can end up consuming us if we do. But with the economy now just know you aren't the only one getting shot down so don't take it too much to heart.
Just keep your head up & keep trying. :). You'll find one.

Roman Legion

Yeah, when I was actively applying for jobs, I never heard back from any of them! The courtesy they basically expect from you, they themselves do not care to follow. Since I lack capital to buy what I need to start a hydroponics business from home, I am thinking about trying to make everything myself.. I hope someone here knows about fabricating a hydroponics bay, I can run it (In theory) I was a horticulture major once and I did that to enjoy the solitude of the greenhouse and the fresh aroma of the plants.. I can set up a hydroponics bay in my father's shed, but I need to fabricate the neccessary equipment to make it possible on the cheap side.. :confused:

this_portrait

Yeah, when I was actively applying for jobs, I never heard back from any of them! The courtesy they basically expect from you, they themselves do not care to follow.

Ironic, isn't it?

My therapist is the one who recommended I send follow-up e-mails to places I apply to. I don't do it as often as I should, but each time I have, I've gotten a response back. Often it's a negative response, but that's better than being left in the dark.

MentalyBlind

I had enough of working for someone that why I made my own business. it's much better plus it helps shake things up in your life more than an daily grind. but thats what happen to me...Ilook and try my hardest to land a job and I don't get it..I don't try and I do get it...wtf is up with that?

Section_31

I find it very disheartening how society places self worth on ones image by the amount you work, not per se the amount of money one makes, though that too can play a factor in how one values his oer herself.

No matter what happens you ARE a very valueble person, you have a right to be here.

Keep trying. No loss is permanent, as is no victory. You'll soon find your way :).

Imaginary

Same here~ I've had some time to send many application, but rejected, or hang up until now without any news. I was offered a job by a friend, but that job made to talk and directed the contact to the person who hasn't known, it is my weakness! \(TДT)/ And the salary is not much, but had to work hard. Then I had worked, but I have been cheated..

Still jobless n confused right now~ How I could life for the future~ \(´Д`)/

Last edited:

this_portrait

I find it very disheartening how society places self worth on ones image by the amount you work, not per se the amount of money one makes, though that too can play a factor in how one values his oer herself.

Tell me about it. I've been facing this type of pressure from my parents (mainly my mother) for a while now, though with them they seem to care more about how much money I'll make. I know it's because money's tight and they can't really afford to support me much longer, but the combination of their pressure and job rejections isn't exactly fun.

Section_31

My wife is getting the same treatment from her parents. they dont reailze how hard it is to find work now....

Whats the point in even gonig to uni, to get a degree that costs 60 k, when the best you can find is work that will only pay you 30 ish k because they dont want to pay you what youworth??.

Im really sorry your goign through this portrait :(

Silatuyok

My problem is that I apply, get invited to an interview, send them a note to say how much I enjoyed it, get invited to a second interview, send them another thank you note, then never hear from them again until they are telling me they picked someone "with more experience" (which is bullsh**). I'm so sick of places stringing me along then dumping me. :mad:

MentalyBlind

My problem is that I apply, get invited to an interview, send them a note to say how much I enjoyed it, get invited to a second interview, send them another thank you note, then never hear from them again until they are telling me they picked someone "with more experience" (which is bullsh**). I'm so sick of places stringing me along then dumping me. :mad:

It's like dating someone new every time and getting dumped

OceanMist

This is part of searching for a job. The process is tilted in the employer's favor because they are the one with the leverage.

They don't care about you, they just care about finding the most qualified applicant for the job. Never expect anything. Just because they invite you to an interview definitely doesn't mean you have a great chance to get the job. You are usually competing with multiple applicants, at some jobs it can be a lot.

I'm having the same problem as I'm only working part time now and need another job so I started applying. They called me in for an interview and I never got a call back. I had to call them 3 times and finally was told they picked someone else after like 3 weeks. The lady said she'd call in 2 days one time, she never called, then she said another time she'd call me later on a certain day, never called. I was a little disappointed but tbh i wasn't surprised at all. The economy has made getting employment very very difficult for everyone, especially people w/out a college degree like myself.

Last time I got a job I had to apply at 31 different places. The only reason I even got a job, which is the one I have now that is not enough hours, is because I used Job Link. Now I'm just on my own with job searching so it will be even harder.

My advice is expect to get rejected a lot and don't take it personally. While you are getting rejected so are all the other applicants that didn't get the job. It's a jungle out there now, it wasn't like this 7 years ago. I've failed at 3 McDonalds (no offense to anyone who works there, it's a legitimate job) interviews for god's sake.

MsBuzzkillington

I was looking for a job for awhile and I was constantly getting rejected. I have lots of experience in retail and grocery stores and I didn't hear back from any of the places I applied to. I have given up for now until I can move back in with my mom (which really sucks).

A friend of mine has quit and found about 5 different jobs within the last 6 months. I honestly want to strangle him. He had a job found out he was going to have to work Christmas day or eve or something unexpected and just never showed up. He was the department manager too and he just walked out of that job. Then he found another job within a couple of weeks. He walked out of that one after a week or so. Then found ANOTHER job within a week, quit that job after a couple of weeks, again just not showing up. Got hired back from the first job that he walked out on during Christmas. Quit AGAIN and found another job shortly there after. Last I heard I think he was working some where else but I could be wrong.

It angers me to no end how he can be THAT unreliable, THAT flaky and he is finding these jobs left and right! But I am reliable, never walked out on a job, rarely late, a hard worker, lots of experience and I can't even get hired at freakin McDonalds?!

Once I was over there and he was mentioning how another one of our friend's needs to try harder to find a job because it wasn't that hard. I was like it is so hard to find a job right now! I have been looking for months. You are so lucky that you've been able to find work! And it shut him up real fast.

Feathers

I tell myself Hitler had a 'job' too (?) and there are other ways to live/earn money too...

Maybe there's a course or class on enterpreneurship any of you could take? Or free/cheap class for good extra skills that would be helpful? Lots of info online too...

Or some extra 'networking' you could do? (people who know people who... might have a job?)

Some jobs can be gotten with volunteering first too... And there are many places online, yeah... Indeed or Monster etc.

Good luck!! :)

this_portrait

A friend of mine has quit and found about 5 different jobs within the last 6 months. I honestly want to strangle him. He had a job found out he was going to have to work Christmas day or eve or something unexpected and just never showed up. He was the department manager too and he just walked out of that job. Then he found another job within a couple of weeks. He walked out of that one after a week or so. Then found ANOTHER job within a week, quit that job after a couple of weeks, again just not showing up. Got hired back from the first job that he walked out on during Christmas. Quit AGAIN and found another job shortly there after. Last I heard I think he was working some where else but I could be wrong.

It angers me to no end how he can be THAT unreliable, THAT flaky and he is finding these jobs left and right! But I am reliable, never walked out on a job, rarely late, a hard worker, lots of experience and I can't even get hired at freakin McDonalds?!

This.

I can't tell you how much this angers me. One of my aunts used to do the exact same thing. She basically would put on a huge act and be all sociable and pretend like she knew how to do the jobs even if she didn't.

And I've actually been trying to put on the same act. It's been helping me a bit, but not a whole lot. Probably because I'm still maintaining some honesty.

Roman Legion

If I can fabricate the necessary things for my hydroponics bay, my father and I are going to be business partners.. Me working on growing the plants, him taking care of the social things like selling and the financial stuff.. If we are mildly successful, we are thinking about fabricating a greenhouse as well.. :) Nothing is hiring and everyone wants to pay minimum wage for hard labour... ::(:

MentalyBlind

How about make the green house work volunteer work, believe it or not some people just wanna help, last time i tried to make a web series in animation and offered to pay them...the results were strange...I got more applications from the volunteer section than the payed idea.

this_portrait

If I can fabricate the necessary things for my hydroponics bay, my father and I are going to be business partners.. Me working on growing the plants, him taking care of the social things like selling and the financial stuff.. If we are mildly successful, we are thinking about fabricating a greenhouse as well.. :) Nothing is hiring and everyone wants to pay minimum wage for hard labour... ::(:

That's good that you're trying to pursue a kind of independent business with your father.

I'm in photography, and sometimes I feel like I'm one of the very few photographers who won't go the freelance route and be self-employed. Call me stupid for preferring to work for someone else, but I have little to no money as it is and no health insurance. While many photo jobs are part-time with no benefits, I've been finding and applying to a fair share that are full-time and come with benefits.

So I can't really be choosy with the type of photo work I decide to do. I don't have the resources for it, and plus I don't think I'm independent enough to do it.