How the **** do I get noticed?

philly2bits

Aside from putting asterisks in the topic to make it look like I swore, how I do I get people to notice me enough so I leave some kind of impression? Do I need to be a fawning sycophant? Do I need to act like an ass?

As it stands now, I'm little more than a situational conversationalist to people. They will talk to me, but only because I'm around. I'm like a chameleon. I leave nothing for anyone to bother getting to know me better. Why is that? Am I truly so boring and uninteresting? Do I have no charisma?

For those who have been on the forum long enough to read my crap posts what do you think? I want honest answers. I'll never learn without them.

coyote

you can't know what other people are thinking

you can't predict how they will respond

so in the end, all you can do is be the person you want to be

and not hurt anyone else in the process

for your own sense of well being

or maybe just for your own entertainment

if others respond or take notice, great

if not, oh well, at least you had a good time

goodways

Well, I noticed your post, which I would not otherwise have noticed had you not had the time and courage to post it.

So, seems to me like the key is probably to make yourself available for someone to notice. It might take more than a post in the real world, but that's gotta be the ticket. If nobody has an oppourtunity to notice you, then they won't

I should practice what I preach, but there it is. My best answer.

Now that I know

Well there are certainly different ways to be noticed, but a lot of it really depends on why people are noticing you. I can't tell if you are referring to getting noticed by people in real life, or here on the forums? Or maybe both? There are many ways to get peoples attentions, and all for many different reasons. Being a fawning sycophant or a straight up ass will surely get people to notice you, but that can't be the kind of impression you want to have on a person. There's also a difference between being noticed and actually being remembered.

I don't know really. I wish people would notice me sometimes. I don't know to get people to notice me for me, for myself being interested, rather than just something crazy I do. Most people will not go out of their way to talk to someone, maybe you have to talk to them first sometimes. Maybe people need to know more about you for them to find you interesting. I wish I knew the answer myself. I do not think you are boring or uninteresting anyways.

Last edited:

philly2bits

you can't know what other people are thinking

you can't predict how they will respond

so in the end, all you can do is be the person you want to be

and not hurt anyone else in the process

for your own sense of well being

or maybe just for your own entertainment

if others respond or take notice, great

if not, oh well, at least you had a good time

As much as I hate to admit it, my IQ is only 87. You'll have to dumb it down for me to understand.

Hey, maybe it's because people can sense I'm not a sharp knife? :confused:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Well as far as your posts are concerned, I think people do notice them. I can honestly say that whenever I see you have posted something I go to see what it is you said, because I know you always have something worthwhile to say. Many of them are not the type of posts that are easy to reply to, and without the rep system anymore it may seem they go unnoticed, but they don't. Your posts have left an impression on me in the past, I often reference things I've read in your posts when talking to people on this site.

You may be getting noticed and not know it, for it is not always shown by the people around you. When someone is loud and the center of attention, they know everyone notices them because of the nature they are being noticed. I don't think you have to do anything differently to be noticed, only if you want to know you are being noticed.

If you want people to want to get to know you, think about what it is that makes you want to get to know other people more. It's usually not because they are acting like an ass. But also it's not just because they're there. I think you'd have to put yourself out there a little, take some risks and try to find some common interests. And I'm sure confidence has something to do with it. If you know you are someone worth knowing, and go into a conversation knowing that, it will radiate off you.

From what I know of you you're not boring, and you can be very fun to chat with.

Last edited:

coyote

you could hang a little bell around your neck

that's what we did with my cat

her name was Tinky

too bad the mail truck driver didn't hear the bell

Darryl

Being noticed, leaving a impact isn't the issue.

I see it has your not feeling comfortable in situations and are worried that you haven't been taken seriously.

IMHO, If you are a nice person, that is what people feel and not some much the conversation.

You, me, everyone just wants to be around nice people who will listen and chat back to them.

Darryl

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

i think you just described Elton John
picture.php

He and Lady Gaga have the answer.

philly2bits

You may be getting noticed and not know it, for it is not always shown by the people around you. When someone is loud and the center of attention, they know everyone notices them because of the nature they are being noticed. I don't think you have to do anything differently to be noticed, only if you want to know you are being noticed.

Yes, that is part of it VJ. I could be the most famous person on earth, but if people don't act like I am it's a moot point, is it not? So maybe I should reiterate and say it's I want to be treated as a person, not a conversation. As I said in my OP, I feel like I'm only talked to for it's own sake. I feel like a conversation machine. No one asks my opinion, or for my help, or how I'm feeling, or anything else that would make me feel like I matter to them. The best I seem to get from people is a way to pass the time. If that is the truth or not is a mystery to me without any feedback. Does that clear it up?

Darryl

Being quite no-one will call your name.

I'm questioning some of the same things, but I'm not as diplomatic as you.

Kiwong

I think I'd prefer anonymity to being noticed.

I suspect I am noticed around town for the wrong reasons. People talk in a town like where I live. I am noticed as a runner, I guess for the right reasons.

I prefer a big city where no one reallt knows me, and I can retreat into anonymity when I choose.

Josette

My therapist would say you don't know what other people are thinking, that they could be just as easily wondering why you don't notice them. Which is probably true, but not really helpful.

In my careful observation of the world (from my lonely corner), it seems like the people who get all the attention are the ones who don't care if they get it or not. They just live and enjoy life and everyone is attracted to that.

Darryl

What do you mean? I'd like to hear it even if it's not diplomatic.

Diplomatic= There are people on here like yourself who can explain your situation, your feelings etc in a manner that people respect.

I guessing by your tone that your angry with me- that what I mean by "not being as diplomatic as you"

Last edited:
What do you mean? I'd like to hear it even if it's not diplomatic.

Being quite no-one will call your name.

I'm questioning some of the same things, but I'm not as diplomatic as you.

Darryl, I'm wondering if philly actually doesn't know what you mean here. Did you mean to have quite or quiet, it makes sense if you meant quiet, it does not make sense in its original
:)