How old were you when you started having Social Phobia?

How old were you when you started having Social Phobia?

• under 5 years old

Votes: 45 19.1%
  • 5-10 years old

Votes: 46 19.6%
  • 10-12 years old

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • 13-17 years old

Votes: 66 28.1%
  • 18-21 years old

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • 21-more years old

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • not sure

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters

Quiet Angel

My social anxiety began when I was in 4th grade. 10 years of age.
However, I never realized I had the anxiety until people approached
me and constantly asked me, "Why are you so quiet?" And then I
managed to figure it out after a long amount of time. Anxiety sucks.

this_portrait

Not entirely sure. I know that the cause of it happened when I was very very very young (around 5-6), but I can't remember ever being social phobic until sometime during my middle and high school years.

JGator

3 maybe? Definitely since before preschool. Don't ever remember it not being there. I had selective mutism until I was 10.

Last edited:
It started out of depression for me. This happened when i was 18/19 yrs old. My self esteem was exremely low and anxiety kicked in. And over the years its gotten worse.

Kinetik

As far as I know, I've always had it. I think it must be some kind of gene. I can remember being the only kid bawling my eyes out the very first day of school, for the sole reason that I didn't want to be left alone with people. There are many more examples like that whereby from as early as 4 or 5, I didn't seem quite right.

wo.

I've had it as long as I can remember... in fact I didn't even know that it was something you could develop later on until I was diagnosed and started getting treatment.

J_M

I picked 5-10 because I'm sure it was shortly after I started going to school, which is what ruined me.

AlleyCat

I was in middle school so around 12 or 13 years of age for me. I don't like thinking back to that time. I didn't even know what was wrong with me until much later. Those years were pure hell.

iamthenra

I was around 5 years old when I first showed signs of SA. I would get stomach cramps, whenever I was around large groups of people including family functions like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Too many people, aunts, uncles, cousins and all the chaos... It was a very rough childhood. I spent allot of time alone trying to get the cramping to go away, and most of the time I would have to lay down so the pain would subside.

JanG:A:Lang89

i noticed the "symptons" of social phobia during my freshmen year...it really messed me up...the reason why i hated high school back then...i was just always alone.

omnispace

12...right when I started 7th grade, I pretty much stopped talking completely. My friend noticed and said I was a completely different person.

lunarla

I've always been a really shy kid, and haven't ever really liked big social environments. When I started elementary I settled in with some close friends, but then I moved when I was in grade 3 and never really got over leaving the friendships I already had so I just didn't make any new ones. Was like that until grade 7. I was basically a mute from grade 4 to 7. Then I got a bit more social in high school, but I'm still not into being social in large groups. Where as I'm slightly less socially awkward now, my insecurity is at a really high level. If it wasn't for school and my dedication to actually going and getting good grades, I probably wouldn't really leave my house. But while I'm at school I sort of bear it and try to seem slightly social, at least with the friends that I doooo have. I'm not good at making new ones. I've always sort of had this desire to be a loner though. Just not having to feel the need or obligation to talk to anyone.