how many languages can u speak?!

Ok I will comment on your German :). Translation: I am hungry.. I didn't have anything for breakfast and I wanted to eat pizza but I can't, because my mother made a schnitzel.. I don't know if it's correct what I wrote, but I don't think it's bad... Anyone from Germany? I'd have to live in Germany to improve my vocabulary.. think I have talent for languages.

I think it's incredible you speak so many languages with just 17. The german is great, only little things - I think it should be "fuer das Essen", "was ich geschrieben habe", "um my vocabular"... But my german is far from perfect either, I hardly ever know if it's "der, die, or das" etc. But good as long as everyone understands what you want to say :).

i knew the first two.. the um i didnt know.. thank u :) der, die adn das sucks :p

Anomaly

Russian - fluently
Ukrainian - fluently
English - fluently
Spanish - the small amount I can remember from classes

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
boerenkool_met_worst.jpg

Is that broccoli on the right?
------

I just speak english with a southern accent.

Devrium

I speak English (fluently) and Japanese (fairly fluently tho I am a little rusty these days. I actually had a job as a translator for the Osaka Health and Wellness Campaign =D), Also Swedish, Spanish, and Latin.

But I can sing in around 50 different languages (mostly like 1-2 songs each, and some only easy and short children's songs but HEY it counts ^^)

Aside from Chemistry, Foreign Language is my other passion. Absolutely obsessive about it.

My next stop on the language train is going to be Vietnamese and Korean, as those are two of the places I have always dreamed of going ^^

Edit: Oh I forgot, I dabble in French. My mom was born in Paris, my dad in Wales. I am first generation American but they wanted me to be an "all out American" so mom refused to teach me French.. They only spoke English to me as a child, but I picked up on some of it throughout the years. Far from fluent tho. And I did study Irish Gaelic for a while... but the lack of vowels made it frustrating xD

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
Boerenkool :

boerenkool_met_worst.jpg

I thought british food was bad until I visited the Nederlands :D

I know a little french, spanish, german and welsh. Barely enough to get by on though, only my french is passable.

I suppose it's a poor legacy of the British Empire that we expect everyone else to know english when abroad :rolleyes:

I speak English (fluently) and Japanese (fairly fluently tho I am a little rusty these days. I actually had a job as a translator for the Osaka Health and Wellness Campaign =D), Also Swedish, Spanish, and Latin.

But I can sing in around 50 different languages (mostly like 1-2 songs each, and some only easy and short children's songs but HEY it counts ^^)

Aside from Chemistry, Foreign Language is my other passion. Absolutely obsessive about it.

My next stop on the language train is going to be Vietnamese and Korean, as those are two of the places I have always dreamed of going ^^

Edit: Oh I forgot, I dabble in French. My mom was born in Paris, my dad in Wales. I am first generation American but they wanted me to be an "all out American" so mom refused to teach me French.. They only spoke English to me as a child, but I picked up on some of it throughout the years. Far from fluent tho. And I did study Irish Gaelic for a while... but the lack of vowels made it frustrating xD

nice!!!!!!!!! the school programme makes me learn latin, but i dont rly like it.. I mean my luv Spanich came from Latin, but still.. I dont like it, to many rules no talking..u cant fel it, how do u manage?

Lea

Banned

:eek: You must come from another planet :eek:.

Devrium

@Chained lol well I was born and raised into a really strict Catholic family. I started formal Latin lessons at age 5 at the school. It was like a before school extra credit thing and my mom basically forced me to learn it. I took those lessons all the way through 6th grade. I am grateful for it now tho because it made picking up Spanish really easy, and I am a great speller because of it xD I know what you mean tho, I couldn't imagine learning it now that I am older. I think I managed so well since I started so young. My Grandmother was a nun for 10 years over in France before she met my grandfather.. and it was her idea originally to put me in the lessons. I guess my family just really values those sorts of things. Of course, I turned out Buddhist and not Catholic so I guess it's kind of an odd skill to have.

@Lea lmao I wish I was... But linguistic talent just runs in my family. Both my parents are bilingual and I have an Aunt who lives in England who speaks 17 different languages completely fluently. That blew my mind when I found that out. I just am the type of person that has to obsess over one thing (in my case 2- Chemistry and foreign language) and completely dedicate myself to that thing. I'm the same way with people actually... I dedicate myself 100% to the thing(s) or person I choose and then the rest of the world I completely shut out... It doesn't make me a very well rounded or balanced person tho =/ And I'm not really all that great with the languages either. I would consider myself mostly fluent in all the ones I listed... but things get mixed up in my brain all the time. Often one sentence can contain 3 languages or more and I even confuse myself with it lol Like I will say, "Hej dar, atashi no heter Dev desu. ¿cómo estás?... so it makes me rather ineffective. I mean, that's kinda an exaggeration there but still you get the idea.... and as far as singing in those languages go I mean.. most the songs I know are only like 2 versus and fairly easy. And I can't even sing very well xD... well except for in Hebrew. I am actually really good at Hebrew songs xD

But er... I'm not that great or anything as impressive as it might sound.. I just have been studying languages and stuff my entire life.. I mean this is 20 years of dedication and obsession all in one so... it's just part of who I am... To me language is more like a problem or an equation to solve and figure out... I think that's why I pick up on it so quickly and why I like it so much.. just another puzzle for me to solve and obsess over =/

@Chained lol well I was born and raised into a really strict Catholic family. I started formal Latin lessons at age 5 at the school. It was like a before school extra credit thing and my mom basically forced me to learn it. I took those lessons all the way through 6th grade. I am grateful for it now tho because it made picking up Spanish really easy, and I am a great speller because of it xD I know what you mean tho, I couldn't imagine learning it now that I am older. I think I managed so well since I started so young. My Grandmother was a nun for 10 years over in France before she met my grandfather.. and it was her idea originally to put me in the lessons. I guess my family just really values those sorts of things. Of course, I turned out Buddhist and not Catholic so I guess it's kind of an odd skill to have.

@Lea lmao I wish I was... But linguistic talent just runs in my family. Both my parents are bilingual and I have an Aunt who lives in England who speaks 17 different languages completely fluently. That blew my mind when I found that out. I just am the type of person that has to obsess over one thing (in my case 2- Chemistry and foreign language) and completely dedicate myself to that thing. I'm the same way with people actually... I dedicate myself 100% to the thing(s) or person I choose and then the rest of the world I completely shut out... It doesn't make me a very well rounded or balanced person tho =/ And I'm not really all that great with the languages either. I would consider myself mostly fluent in all the ones I listed... but things get mixed up in my brain all the time. Often one sentence can contain 3 languages or more and I even confuse myself with it lol Like I will say, "Hej dar, atashi no heter Dev desu. ¿cómo estás?... so it makes me rather ineffective. I mean, that's kinda an exaggeration there but still you get the idea.... and as far as singing in those languages go I mean.. most the songs I know are only like 2 versus and fairly easy. And I can't even sing very well xD... well except for in Hebrew. I am actually really good at Hebrew songs xD

But er... I'm not that great or anything as impressive as it might sound.. I just have been studying languages and stuff my entire life.. I mean this is 20 years of dedication and obsession all in one so... it's just part of who I am... To me language is more like a problem or an equation to solve and figure out... I think that's why I pick up on it so quickly and why I like it so much.. just another puzzle for me to solve and obsess over =/

ur a perfectionist, just like me.. sometimes i sit and if i cant think of how to say a word on Spanish, I think my Spanish sucls and etc.and i need it all to be extra fluent... i completely understand u.. except for the chemistry:p

El_Pajaro

I can speak/write english and spanish

I took french in highschool...japanese in college
I dont remember much

I also try to sing songs in other languages

Lonelykitsune

Just English.I have been learning Spanish for 3 years as part of school,but i can barly string a sentence together.Ive been forced to learn Irish for 12 years and its even poorer than my spanish!.
People who can speak a launguage other than their own fluently really impress me.Id love to b able to speak grman,polish or swedish