how many languages can u speak?!

mrb

loads ... english , irish , american , australian , ok im cheating a bit here thay all talk english ... but it did look impressive for ten seconds dont you think ;)::p:

Luke1993

A question to those who do not have english as a first language... did you find it difficult to learn? Also how does it compare to your native language?

Anomaly

A question to those who do not have english as a first language... did you find it difficult to learn? Also how does it compare to your native language?

I was one of the students selected to study some English in the first grade when I was back in Ukraine. Looking back now, it helped me immensely. We had no problems whatsoever taking in new vocabulary and stringing together simple sentences. With that foundation, learning English was not difficult at all.

English is very different, I'd say, from Russian and Ukrainian, my first languages (in the area of Ukraine I lived in, everyone primarily used Russian but they knew Ukrainian as well). Things such as conjugation, sentence mechanics, and styles (say, if you wanted to write poetry) are very different. Although English is now my primary language in writing, reading, and thought, I still find Russian poetry and literature possessing a distinct quality that appeals to me more.

M1tCh

Banned
Several, although only one that's officially recognized as a "language".

Zleeple florb eep kliggo...

Nicholas

This is an interesting thread... I like languages, even though I am currently only interested in the English language, which is not my first language. My first language is... to be considered a mystery :D (but I can tell you it's a romance language). I think I would like to know some other languages, interesting and "mysterious" languages maybe... like Japanese, or Chinese, or Arabic... but I don't have a good reason to start learning a new language now. I mean, English is extremely important and I can use it all the time, but what about another language? My life is so unstable right now that I wouldn't be able to find enough motivation to learn another "random" language.

anomicdeer

English natively.
Yo sé un poco español. Todavía, estoy tratando mejorar. I am horrible and listening and speaking Spanish though.
I want to learn more. I'm a little familiar with German but I don't know much. Actually I just started learning a bit.

Masychefx2

Banned
my brain simply doesnt accept learning other languages which sucks ive always wanted to speak german & russian & filipino

i wish i could learn languages

anomicdeer

Only three here. Well, I write 'only' because the OP can speak four and is working on her fifth language. Three just seems like very little compared to that. It does not come difficult for people to speak three languages in Europe. When you grow up in a bi-lingual household, but live in a country where another language is spoken, it's not difficult to pick up all three.

And I think that is why people like to make fun of people in USA about not being bi- or multi-lingual.

philly2bits

And I think that is why people like to make fun of people in USA about not being bi- or multi-lingual.

It's understandable why many Americans are not multilingual. Depending on where you live, you could drive for days and not enter another country, while in Europe it's probably a few hours at most to get to another country. We in America simply don't hear enough of other languages in day to day life to pick up any. For us to learn another language either our parents have to teach us, or we need to learn in school.

mrb

It's understandable why many Americans are not multilingual. Depending on where you live, you could drive for days and not enter another country, while in Europe it's probably a few hours at most to get to another country. We in America simply don't hear enough of other languages in day to day life to pick up any. For us to learn another language either our parents have to teach us, or we need to learn in school.

you went to school :confused:

anomicdeer

Explained well.

static

English of course, and I'm getting pretty good at Spanish.. in school at least. I'd like to be fluent someday but sometimes I feel hopeless because when I watch Spanish movies or TV they talk so fast and drop letters so it sounds completely different than how it's written. I'm learning Greek next year too, kind of useless but it sounds interesting.

Greek (mother tongue)
English (C2)
German (B2)
French (B2)

I started learning Icelandic, but I quit. I am willing to resume learning it as soon as I have the time to do so. I am currently trying to improve my German, though as with everything else I lack motivation...

Shift

English is the only thing I know fluently, but I am studying Spanish and American Sign Language right now. ASL is my favorite I think because Deaf culture is amazing and I always feel loved and accepted even though I am socially awkward and terribly shy.

Newtype

I only know French and English. I'd like to learn Spanish and sign language looks pretty kool too, but I wish it was the same sign language used everywhere in the world.