How important are looks to you?

In finding someone as gf or bf... What if she's completely not physically attractive but you like her personality.. or if the other way round.. like her physically, but she's got bad personality...??? (apply she as he if necessary)

Thanks.

DespairSoul

:) That's tricky question.

Let see well both is non so good. I would search for "gold middle". But if i have to really choice i choice from this two options "psychically no so attractive" and personality lovely as "super hot" and "cocky"
:) soo here ya go.

Felgen

I have to be physically attracted to someone to desire a relationship with them. This is part of our Darwinian instincts. I can be friends with girls who I like the personality of, but don't find attractive; if they do not confuse my friendliness and politiness with being in love with them.

On the other hand, I could never pursue a relationship with a girl who acted like a b!tch. I've slept with girls who were before, but there's no chance in hell I'd ever spend the rest of my life with someone I don't like the personality of.

Kiwong

Looks and no personality would be the worst option. Liking someone only for their physical appearance would be be lust.

I think it is the personality that shines out from within that makes people truly attractive.

Newtype

I have to be attracted to her and I need to like her personality. If one of those things are missing, then my mind and my body just say "no". I don't think I can explain it better than that. And it's not like she has to be miss universe. Just one cute thing about her can make me feel attracted to her.

coyote

for me, personally, physical intimacy is important in a relationship - expressing myself through touch, embrace, sex, etc. is a big part of relating to the other person

so physical attraction is a necessary component - even if it's not the only thing

having said that - what makes someone physically attractive is very dependent upon their personality, their demeanor, the way they express themselves, their humor, body language, chemistry, etc.

it's the total package that determines attractiveness - not just quantitative data like height, weight, age, measurements, hair/eye color, etc. You can write the same numbers down for two different people and they can be nothing alike in terms of attractiveness

and lastly, what I personally find attractive is not necessarily the same as what someone else may find attractive, let alone what is put on display as the "ideal" beauty by the mass marketing machine

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
for me, personally, physical intimacy is important in a relationship - expressing myself through touch, embrace, sex, etc. is a big part of relating to the other person

so physical attraction is a necessary component - even if it's not the only thing

having said that - what makes someone physically attractive is very dependent upon their personality, their demeanor, the way they express themselves, their humor, body language, chemistry, etc.

it's the total package that determines attractiveness - not just quantitative data like height, weight, age, measurements, hair/eye color, etc. You can write the same numbers down for two different people and they can be nothing alike in terms of attractiveness

and lastly, what I personally find attractive is not necessarily the same as what someone else may find attractive, let alone what is put on display as the "ideal" beauty by the mass marketing machine

That's exactly what I was going to write. I'm personally obsessed by looks, so I would never date someone who I find not beautiful. But what I find beautiful has as much to do with personality than beauty, since your personality shows in the way you appear to others.

mmmm

I need both in a potential partner. I'm not saying he has to be the dalai lama in Brad Pitt's body by any means. I just think it would be unfair to that person as well as myself if my attraction to them was limited to certain aspects of them when they could probably just as easily find someone who was in love with their whole package.

Rembrandt Broam

In finding someone as gf or bf... What if she's completely not physically attractive but you like her personality.. or if the other way round.. like her physically, but she's got bad personality...??? (apply she as he if necessary)

Thanks.

I've encountered very few people who were "completely not physically attractive", so that's a difficult one to answer.

I will say that a girl can be very physically attractive but if I have little or no attraction to her personality then I wouldn't be attracted enough to her overall to pursue a relationship. I know it sounds sort of cliched, but if a girl has sense of humour that clicks with mine and can make me laugh then that makes her very attractive to me.

Hottie

I find that all the best looking guys i meet are arseholes!

Therefore i am now going on a date soon with somebody i amn't into, but he is so sweet. Im going on the date to see if i would like to meet him again...who knows?!!!

(",) Also doing it to boost my confidence (",)

But i think there has to be a bit of both. A bit of looks and a good personality!

darkrider

For some strange reasons I'm not one who's attracted to "hot" girls as most guys would put it.

I like pretty girls and of course personality is a must.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Physical attraction grows when you get to know/love the personality/intellect/internal beauty. Physical attraction sure is an important factor we shouldn't pretend otherwise, it IS needed - but it's all related and interrelated with what' beneath the surface. I've fallen for girls who are nice physically but I never really was omg... in classes/work their personality/intellect shows, and wow... their physical beauty grows largely. Vice versa with babes who are... not so hot underneath, very big turn off. It's all connected imo. =D

Last edited:

lunarla

There has to be physical attraction. But to reiterate what was said above, it's not so much to do with how technically aesthetically pleasing the person is to look at, but how their personality adds to that. If there's a connection in terms of how you're able to get along with the person and relate, the attraction usually goes waaaay up for me. I've found out through recent experience, unfortunately, that no matter how much of an absolute babe the person is or how much I'm into them physically, if there's nothing there (anymore), there just isn't.

Lea

Banned
What has this to do with social anxiety? Whenever I post here something not directly related to SA it gets moved to Off Topic :(.

nikkixo

personality is more important to me. i tend to date less attractive guys with good personalities, i have found that they usually treat you way better