How has SA affected your morals?

Tomasso

Have you become a better person as a result, someone who is caring and empathetic.

Or maybe it has embittered you?

MollyBeGood

^yeah me too. I can be very empathetic then conversely I have become bitter. Not sure how that works or why but I guess my patience is wearing.

powerfulthoughts

Good question. The more I am weighed down by this for so many years, the less empathetic and caring I seem to be, which saddens me. I used to be very empathetic and compassionate, but now I am realizing that the cold world does not give a damn about me, or my problems. This reality has forced me to care less, although I fight against that.

My faith in God is what keeps me grounded, and keeps my hope and faith alive, and to some degree me compassion for others. I struggle daily to live a moral life, but the tide will always be flowing very violently against that.

Tomasso

Good question. The more I am weighed down by this for so many years, the less empathetic and caring I seem to be, which saddens me. I used to be very empathetic and compassionate, but now I am realizing that the cold world does not give a damn about me, or my problems. This reality has forced me to care less, although I fight against that.

That's how I feel. Overall though, I feel like I have become a significantly worse person. At least inside my head.

Kiwong

I've learned a lot and feel as if I might be changing for the better. I look back on my past, and I wasn't living well, and I ask what was I thinking? I didn't care about the future me, I was unwell, I couldn't see a future for me. I was stark raving mad.

I created all these problems, including anxiety, that the more adult me is now trying to sort out, and hoping it is not too late.

Last edited:

Kinetik

I'm less compassionate as a result of anxiety because I'm forever wrapped up in my own mind, trying to figure out how to get through the next set of (social) problems I have to face. It's also difficult not to resent humanity on some level for inducing the fear and limitations I experience, even though I acknowledge that it's my problem and not other people's fault.

I notice I also have less scruples when it comes to getting money, and I don't think twice about dropping people if I feel awkward around them.

twiggle

I think my morals and spirituality have become a lot stronger because I am a lot more in touch with my feelings, but yes I'm also slightly more prone to jealousy. Jealousy is a terrible trait, I'm angry at myself for having it, but know it's because I'm insecure and that only once I gain confidence will the feeling disappoear.

Remus

Staff member
I have no idea, I've had it since childhood so have no conception about how I would of been without it.

I have a strong protective instinct, I get that from my father and seems to be more of a trait than learned behaviour.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yes, I think it has, but it may be more due to major depression rather than SA. I think suffering has made me look at the deeper things in life rather than getting all wrapped up in money and sex. I also don't want to hurt anyone emotionally because I'm very sensitive myself and I wouldn't want to cause anyone that much distress.

That being said, I view the world as a place full of horrible, selfish and insensitive people. That may sound bitter but I think it's just a realistic observation. I don't want to seem self-righteous, though... I mean, sometimes I don't like myself either because I can be very critical toward others and to myself or I can be jealous & insecure and very strongly opinionated. But I don't think I'd try to hurt anyone intentionally, except myself.

Invisibleman

I hate it but I find ive kinda taken an eye for an eye approach to it. You dont give a flying sh*t about me so why should I you? type of thing. My jealousy has flared up as well and im finding it hard to be happy for those better off than me,I feel so spiteful and resenting.

It has made me a very self-centered person. I suppose i could be more empathetic, but i never get any chance to "express" that, so i dunno. I probably are more bitter/resentful than if i "had a life".

The Observer

Does SA affect peoples morals? I guess In a way I could see how it might, Although I'm not sure if its generally accepted or believed it does. I'd be interested to know if any one has some stuff I could read about it I'd be thankful.

Section_31

Id say its done a little bit of both to me.

Its embittered me against some points in society. ok most of society.

At the same time making me more empathic of other individuals, especially the ones who seem to be "mutants" like us ;)

Moo

I wouldn't say it's changed my morals but it makes me act in ways I don't want to for example ignoring people when I feel uncomfortable (this happens often). The worst thing is the disconnect between how lovely and caring I feel like I am on the inside but hardly ever getting to show people that because I'm too scared to do anything about it.

lilmutegirl

I agree with most of the other people on here. I can be very empathetic and compassionate (or maybe I'm just overly sensitive--I cry a lot when I read sad/happy stories). I am also bitter about my situation. I sometimes don't like that I know, rationally, that it makes no sense to be mad at other people for my anxiety, but at least I am aware of this fact.
I also think that SA has made me more susceptible to outside pressure (which makes me mad at those who pressure me, and I think that is acceptable). When I was younger, people really didn't pressure me to do things (or even offer, for that matter--they probably assumed I wouldn't even try certain stuff). But, since I gratuated from high school, I have been pressured/forced into things that I did not feel comfortable with and would not have done if I had enough of a backbone to stand up for myself. It makes me feel like my morals have gone downhill, but I know that I truly wouldn't have done this things were it not for the outside pressure.

LazyHermitCrab

Both like most said here. I feel like i can understand people better especially other people with sa duh right :p The less moral thing for me would be looking for the negatives of someone before looking for positives.

Section_31

I think its also given me different morals than many really...

Im only angry with many in society because of their sheep/conform mentality, and lack of willingness to try to understand those who are different (S/A's, depressives, ect ect) instead of writing them off as weak and leechlike.

I dont by any means mean to say ALL of society thinks that, ive met some very normal people ive liked, who DO try, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

Its wierd, once i find out someone has a mental condition i almost feel a kinship with them, i become more protective and helpful to them than i do many others.

Rembrandt Broam

I have no idea, I've had it since childhood so have no conception about how I would of been without it.

Same here. I'd like to think that side of my personality isn't a result of my SA, and that I'd be the person I am even without it, but who knows? Maybe without SA I'd be a complete jerk. :eek:

WeirdyMcGee

Just SA? I don't know...
I know that depression has made me not care for much in a positive manner.
I know that it's probably mainly due to B.D.D that I hate myself. I'm focused on that.
I know that agoraphobia has made me terrified of pretty much everything.

Moral-wise... I do what I think is good and right. Maybe I'm a self-righteous person? haha
I think that as a person, I'm generally someone who wants the best for everyone but myself.
I expect nothing from anyone-- but myself.
I am an idealist. I was often described as someone who is 'too nice' but I don't understand how a person can be 'too nice'.
The rest of the world is just too mean to eachother to share my standards, I think.
It seems ridiculous that people would rather have a television in every room than give to a homeless person who is starving or foster a child who feels unwanted. Absolutely ridiculous.
I don't think that my SA has really been a factor in how I had shaped my morals as a teenager, though.