How do you guys keep positive?

JuiceB

I've been wanting to know how do the rest of you continue to stay positive despite your problems. I often try to keep myself distracted by doing different things or joke around and make sarcastic remarks to help take the edge off. Sometimes it's just not enough. Sadness and loneliness seems to lay inside me ready to be triggered randomly and its hard to fight against.

I haven't had a full day of non-depressive thoughts in ages. How do you cope with it?

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I just think that something good will happen at some point. In the meantime, I joke about it like it's nothing.

Section_31

Eh......this is only for my depression....

But honestly ive always gotten along casually with women much easier than men, no idea why. If im having a bad day i usually force myself to go eat lunch in my office lunch room instead of my office. Sitting and just talking with a bunch of very attractive ladies about nothing really boosts my spirits.

Thats just me though.

Silatuyok

For me, my issues come and go throughout the year, so during a bad spell I just try to hold on and ride it out, knowing that better days are coming eventually. Accepting my anxiety and depression has gone a long way toward helping me cope. I don't beat myself up about it anymore. I can recognize that I feel crappy, but not let it rule my life by making me miss out on things I enjoy.

coyote

i have to remind myself that there are other ways to see things

rather than just accept the first dark thoughts that cloud my mind

sometimes it takes more work than others

psych

I stay busy. I clean to feel a sense of accomplishment.
I help people because sometimes it's easier to help others than to help myself...
Any productive activity that helps me forget myself will do.

Etbow23

Not sure if I have really good coping skills. But one good coping skill that does relax me is to put on my headphones and go out, take a walk while listening to music. Or go to the grocery store while having my mp3 on. My music usually lets me escape.

shakethelight

I read something inspirational. ( I just read -A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller) it was amazing.

I also keep journal of gratitude but I fill it with quotes & artwork.

Volunteer or just helping someone in need is a great way to get out of your own head for a little bit.

Sacrament

i have to remind myself that there are other ways to see things

rather than just accept the first dark thoughts that cloud my mind

sometimes it takes more work than others

This is definitely one way to look at it.

At the end of the day, you have two choices: accept the negative thoughts as absolute facts about yourself and any situation you're in, or allowing your mind, heart and senses to be completely open to all the little wonders around you on a day to day basis. You control your own thoughts. Remember that. They don't control you.

It's hard to let this 'theory' process when you've spent so many years wrapped around all the horrible things your mind creates, but it is possible to make that switch. It's not easy, and it's not gonna be an immediate thing, but it can happen. People often believe such awful things about themselves, and yet they have so much to offer to themselves and also to others.

Last edited:

satstrn

I like to play drums or mess around on guitar. Reading, cooking, playing basketball or lifting weights, anything to keep my mind occupied. Sometimes I volunteer at a local pet rescue and get to play with animals. Finding a hobby or interest or two really goes a long way.

Kat

At the moment it's achieving my study goal for the day. I feel terrible if I don't and a sense of accomplishment if I do. Depression comes and goes and my anxiety is only present if I'm around people but if I enjoy something or I can help someone with something that can help a little too.

Exercise and good food can sometimes lift my mood.

Facethefear

Ramdom thoughts:
Fake it til you make it... whenever that will be. Probably, some of us are very convincing actors in life and only feel like our true selves in private. We wear our "normal" mask for protection "out there" because some humans have the need to try to make special people feel inferior. Being sensitive is a strength not a weakness.

Life became so much easier when I actually began to like myself and started to give off that vibe. I wish I had me as a friend. I try to see the absurdity of life and the humour in everything. I try to do no harm. I accept compliments even though they seem to be a rarity and give them freely - I won't keep score. I don't put myself down and defend myself against all slings and arrows without anger. I quit being angry and sarcastic years ago around the same time I gave up drinking. Hmmm. I remember my achievements and forgive my stumbles in life. I am sometimes down but never out. I don't live in the past and know each day is a new beginning. I want to believe in the law of karma even though it must work reallly slowwww. I have my dreams and plans that may never be realized but I will never stop trying.

I come to this site to remember I am not alone.

Kat

Ramdom thoughts:
Fake it til you make it... whenever that will be. Probably, some of us are very convincing actors in life and only feel like our true selves in private. We wear our "normal" mask for protection "out there" because some humans have the need to try to make special people feel inferior. Being sensitive is a strength not a weakness.

Life became so much easier when I actually began to like myself and started to give off that vibe. I wish I had me as a friend. I try to see the absurdity of life and the humour in everything. I try to do no harm. I accept compliments even though they seem to be a rarity and give them freely - I won't keep score. I don't put myself down and defend myself against all slings and arrows without anger. I quit being angry and sarcastic years ago around the same time I gave up drinking. Hmmm. I remember my achievements and forgive my stumbles in life. I am sometimes down but never out. I don't live in the past and know each day is a new beginning. I want to believe in the law of karma even though it must work reallly slowwww. I have my dreams and plans that may never be realized but I will never stop trying.

I come to this site to remember I am not alone.

Nicely, put!:)

Richey

I've been wanting to know how do the rest of you continue to stay positive despite your problems. I often try to keep myself distracted by doing different things or joke around and make sarcastic remarks to help take the edge off. Sometimes it's just not enough. Sadness and loneliness seems to lay inside me ready to be triggered randomly and its hard to fight against.

I haven't had a full day of non-depressive thoughts in ages. How do you cope with it?

I would have thought that joking around/sarcasm is being positive. I mean when i am at work and i see people joking around, being playful then its them being almost overly positive and cheery. So that's something i struggle at, joking around amongst other people, because of shyness. Sometimes i do though, i'll laugh at the sarcasm/joking around, but instigating the humour? not easy for me.

i dont really understand fake it til you make it either. i mean if you can fake having a good personality, being loud, funny then surely that's you being yourself. I can't wrap my head around that.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
I try to ignore the dark thoughts, meditate, get outside and go on country walks or a stroll in the park. Going camping helps refresh my mind. Keeping busy.

Facethefear

Quote:
I would have thought that joking around/sarcasm is being positive. I mean when i am at work and i see people joking around, being playful then its them being almost overly positive and cheery. So that's something i struggle at, joking around amongst other people, because of shyness. Sometimes i do though, i'll laugh at the sarcasm/joking around, but instigating the humour? not easy for me.

sar·casm/ˈsärˌkazəm/Noun: The use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Example; "D'oh.
True humour doesn't make a person feel uncertain of the intent. I used to think it was witty but not so much now.

i dont really understand fake it til you make it either. i mean if you can fake having a good personality, being loud, funny then surely that's you being yourself. I can't wrap my head around that.

T'is better to pretend everything is alright and act contented around the general population than looking miserable, because people will notice, comment and avoid that.
Then you become the topic of conversation with not always positive remarks which won't help your negative feelings. Try to leave the bad mood at home. It is a mask one wears but so what. The same principle as starting to walk the dog when you really don't want to, but after the first 500 steps your body agrees and loosens up and it becomes a pleasurable experience and you are glad you did it. Sometimes the hardest step is the first one. I hope that makes sense and I don't sound preachy.