How do you deal with having a job?

NewtoThis

I actually have a pretty awesome job right now.
Working as an A/V student technician at my University. It was incredibly scary at first because I didn't know most of the stuff they were trying to teach me, and solving problems on a time limit in front of classes can be really anxiety-inducing but luckily the people that hired me were really supportive.

I don't know what possessed me to apply- I just wanted to get out of the dorm and make money and I've always enjoyed puzzles and technology. I applied online thinking they would never even consider me, but they gave me an interview (which I was sure I totally screwed up) and eventually hired me!

At first, whenever a phone rang I would have someone else answer it, but I didn't want to let my awesome employers down, so I started answering phones and now I'm pretty good at it (though I'm a little slower than others when it comes to making sure I have all the details).

If I couldn't solve a problem right away, I would stay up all night thinking about how badly I screwed up and fear getting fired but after a while I saw that it was all a part of the learning process and I wasn't the only one. Once I realized I wasn't alone and that everyone was in the same boat (or else really supportive) I was able get much better.

Now when I show up to work it isn't about me or how much I'll screw up this day, but more about learning and helping others. I really like people even if I can't always interact with them the way I'd like to- and I'm glad my job forces me to talk to people. Without this job I'd probably just stay in my dorm all day and never talk to anyone in real life.

I don't know how severe my problem is compared to others, but I think there's hope if you're willing to stick your neck out a little. No pain no gain, right?

NickyNacker

Aw, I can totally relate! I'm 19 and I've only ever had one job. I was a bus girl at a restaurant. Not a job that I would recommend to ANYONE. It made me so scared and nervous all the time that I had to quit after only a few months. I didn't even give 2 weeks notice, I just had to get out of there =/
I haven't applied anywhere since because I'm so afraid of actually getting another job. I'm afraid that I can't handle it and I hate all the symptoms you mentioned- I get light-headed and dizzy and I feel so completely overwhelmed when I go out. Right now my parents are pushing for me to find another job and I really do need the money so I guess I'm going to have to face my fears.

You sound very similar to me! I was thinking today that I might get a job as a dishwasher since it's in the back and I won't really have to deal with people.
I hope you do face your fears and find a job you can handle and like!

ILovePocky

You sound very similar to me! I was thinking today that I might get a job as a dishwasher since it's in the back and I won't really have to deal with people.
I hope you do face your fears and find a job you can handle and like!
It's definitely going to take a lot of courage for me to finally apply somewhere again but I have to do it. I hope you find a good job too!

twiggle

I've had varied experiences with jobs. There have been times I've loved my jobs and times I've hated them.
I find I prefer the ones where I either:
-Have friends there
-Am left alone to do my own thing

I do not like the ones where I'm dragged into office politics and made to feel paranoid all the time.
I used to love my current job, but then all my friends left. Now I just sit quietly, lunch alone with my book, only ever make small talk with those around me and have the constant chit-chat of all the "cool people" going on in my ears. Sometimes I hate it but most of the time I just get through it by thinking about the people who mean the most to me/happy thoughts.
And remember you're never going to be tied down to one job forever unless you choose to. Its really important to work out what you like in a workplace/don't like in a workplace so that you can try and find a job that suits you better. Don't be afraid of moving from job to job - I know it's not recommended, but for your wellbeing - don't feel stuck in anything you hate!

Hottie

The thing about the profession i want is it involves helping people out and ALOT of social interaction. How can i help people out, when inside im crying?

I hate thinking about the future. Im trying to live in the moment. Im talking things as they come. Whatever direction i am going, i dont want to think ahead of myself. It only makes me feel down and depressed and obvisouly anxious.

I dont know if having high hopes will only set me up for failure? But i already am a failure so what more harm could it do? Actully strike that...i have achieved a hell of alot from my past and persent situation. To still be breathing is an achievement in itself!

I am ambitious and have the direction in my mind as of where i want to be but........i dont know if that is just a dream or a nightmare because of anxiety. But i will continue to try...who knows?

LazyHermitCrab

Basically I don't talk, unless spoken to first. It usually comes out horribly and I make others uncomfortable. I deal with it by just doing it. I don't want to be a dependent on my parents or anyone else....!

Last edited:

bitingthepea

Just try and stay away from the public as much as you can is my opinion, im in retail, and im finding it so hard to deal with.

I agree, im in retail now and i find it so hard to no what to say to the rest of the people i work with i just feel so left out

bitingthepea

I have had 3 jobs in 3 years purely because of my social phobia, if i wasnt so freaked out about making conversation to other people id still be at my first job i had. I feel so quiet and shy in work! n like everyone can have a fun conversation apart from me, does anyone else feel the same?

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I've had 2 jobs... one last 2 full years, other 1 year. Started when I was 20, never had a job before that. When lost the 2nd, kinda spiraled into worse S.A. "Focused" on school, that was 3 years ago so havent worked since then, graduating this semester, now - I know I need get a job unrelated to my major for a bit - but feel like my previous job experience is pathetic and no confidence from it.

I have had 3 jobs in 3 years purely because of my social phobia, if i wasnt so freaked out about making conversation to other people id still be at my first job i had. I feel so quiet and shy in work! n like everyone can have a fun conversation apart from me, does anyone else feel the same?

I was fortunate, depended who worked. One person I befriended quickly, similar interests. Mostly easy going peeps. A few I was intimidated by - so 1 day I may be talkative depending who worked, other was very quiet like a mute.

If stay at a place longer, it gets better, I got a lot better. Depended on mood too.

mr.jimbo

you can work somewhere that you dont have to deal with customer services temporarily. for me, i use to do inventory work where i didnt have to deal with people. find a job that can keep you independent most of the time.

Black Bubblegum

I'm lucky to have a job where I'm pretty much my own boss so SA isn't too much of an issue at work. I'm not with any collegues for most of the day as I'm a delivery driver but I do have contact with customers. Most of it is fairly routine stuff that I can deal with but I'm not one those people that makes small talk with them and if I do get any complaints I just tend to go into 'robot mode' and just give them some stock answers. This bit was harder when I started the job but I've been doing it for nearly 8 years now and it's definately got easier with time. Probably the same with most jobs really.

Wanderlust

i have a job working as a driver. it's so perfect for people like us! all i do is drive around and deliver different cars all day all over california. you even get to drive exotic cars! it's the best job for people with social anxiety because you get to be alone all day :) try enterprise rent a car. they're always hiring drivers :)

Black Bubblegum

i have a job working as a driver. it's so perfect for people like us! all i do is drive around and deliver different cars all day all over california. you even get to drive exotic cars! it's the best job for people with social anxiety because you get to be alone all day :) try enterprise rent a car. they're always hiring drivers :)

Exotic Cars. Nice. I only drive a van.

NVN

I hate my job and every minute I am out of the house. I just suck it up and do it. I dread every second but I just do it.

Richey

I can't picture myself being a manager anywhere, i'm too shy and even though i work hard i don't really suck up to the managers so i probably wouldn't be seen as a favourable candidate, i'm also not really an ideas guy, i work hard but i'm not really enthusiastic in meetings, i simply work because one must work.

Fighter86

Well, the longer I spend at my current job, the more I'm hating it I think. I spend lots of time on the phone losing my temper at people because I have to call up a lot of service providers (eg, for phone/ internet connection) and everytime I'm put on hold for some 20mins, and then get to speak to some sort of unfriendly customer service officer. Job sucks. I really don't know how long this is going to last, maybe another 3 months when it marks my half year at the job.

Rembrandt Broam

I have been at my current job for five years, and have pretty much hated it since day one.

You can imagine my joy every Sunday evening, as the new week approaches. :rolleyes:

I'm a wierd case as I've got three vacation jobs and two of them were as a salesman, and I performed well. But I did hate the salesman job, not for dealing with people, but for how annoying you gotta be to be a good saleman, and how the boss is always telling you that the store has to make his daily goal by any means, and I hate that attitude.

I got no problem to talking to people as I felt that I had a real excuse to do it, and they spect the saleman to talk to them. But when it comes to socialize and talking to people (specially to women) outside job duties, even with my coworkers, I was as screwed as eveyone else here.

Nanita

The job that suits me best is working as a cleaning lady... in offices or in private homes, well anywhere as long as no people are around.
I can/will only do it parttime though, 20-25 hours per week. More hours would be too hard psysically.
Most of the other kinds of jobs I tried, were too challenging for me, socially/emotionally.
Anything that involves talking to people, being in the same room with other people... I just can´t function, I get too affected.

I have tried to get an education, but so far I have dropped out of every school and university I started on, since I finished college.

I want to accept myself and not get into some school or job that´s too challenging. On the other hand I can´t give up on the hope that I will be better at all this someday, and then maybe I will do something else than boring cleaning jobs.