How do you deal with having a job?

Duraldo

For some reason, whenenever I look for a job, all my anxieties, and social fears go away. I think it's partly because I just want the money OR it could be, that I keep telling myself (none of these people matter one bit, they don't care about you, nor them. They care about making money, so don't worry about messing up). That, and if things get bad, there's ALWAYS an out.

There was one interview where I knocked over an entire bowl of candy, while attempting to shake the interviewee's hand, and still got the job :)

evz

I've held a job in retail for 1 year now. I was 19 and my mom pressured me into applying for this job stocking shelves and so forth..soo I filled out the ap, hilariously awful hand writing and everything. Didn't hear back from them until..3 months later theres a phone call..for me! But I have no friends so who could it be hmmmm. "Oh hi this is rite aid, can you come in for an interview today at 11:00?"

:eek:::(: This gave me 2 hours to prepare for what I was sure would be the end of my world. dewd i was terrified of the interview process, which is why I think I've had so few jobs (this was my third job, but my first real interview o.o)

it turned out the manager loved to hear herself talk and did like 95% of the talking, and my stutter plagued, unintelligable answers to her questions didn't matter all to much. I got the job!! Not the job i wanted however..Everyone in the store has to know how to work the register.. >< Yea..not sp friendly one bit honestly. However the new registers in these places today do all the math for ya i guess, and its very hard to screw up. If you can count money, u can be a cashier without trouble because the register calculates how much change to give back all on its own. I'm at like a junior high math level and have never made a mistake. Life's been quite a bit better since getting this job. Met few people I guess I can call friends, not that we hang out and stuff really, but hey it's nice to know that if I died or whatever tomorrow, someone might miss me yknow? Customers come in and I get to talk to them, pretty much all small talk..but the rewarding thing is that I've seen so much improvment in myself over the last year. And I hope its the same for you, I think it really will be. I have my good and bad days but i get through em. It took a while to get over worrying about what my co-workers were thinking of me. they've acknowledged that I'm quiet but theres things some of them really like about me (or so they say) that I never thought anyone could like lol. As hard as it's been at times, I shudder to think of what life might be like if I hadnt taken that first step, guess thats all there is to say

sullyS25

I do what needs to be done. I hate to sound insensitive but the only way I will get over this is to face the situations that make me uncomfortable. Continuing to avoid situations results in no change for me and I am sick of being intimidated of people and social situations. I face what makes me uncomfortable and after a while things get better. Especially with jobs, you get used to the daily interactions and you become comfortable

Seb

I've worked as a labourer as work experience and as a summer job once with my brothers. I haven't been officially employed since, and I've been trying to make a living from home writing and entertaining people on the internet. I figured it was worth pursuing since I actually managed to hold onto hits and returning traffic despite the fact that I was sure my writing sucked.

My SA effectively makes me disabled and confined to my house and I have no real choice regarding work other than working from home and claiming disability. I keep getting pressured by my parents about being forced into a job in McDonalds or something, which I'm sure I probably couldn't do effectively anyway due to my agoraphobia.

I don't know how they can possibly expect every single person to be working when there are more people, less people are retiring or otherwise dying, there's abundance and everything is slowly becoming automated.

teandtoast

I work in a big office and have done for about 6 years (Im 26) but it doesn't make it any easier.
I hate it...everything is so awkward.
I generally sit at my desk not saying anything all day and just getting on with my work and listening to music. I sit next to 2 people and opposite more and behind so have no privacy...it's difficult as I can't do small chat...I mean I have nothing in common with the people then on top of being very shy and not even liking to talk in front of all these people. People have commented on me being quiet and stuff which I find a bit annoying like they should mind their own business but hey ho.
I usually go on the breakout computers by myself at lunch which nice to get away.
even things like passing people in corridors or drinks machine is awkward and a effort and wether u say hi or smile it's just awkward.
would love a job just by myself

NickyNacker

I do what needs to be done. I hate to sound insensitive but the only way I will get over this is to face the situations that make me uncomfortable. Continuing to avoid situations results in no change for me and I am sick of being intimidated of people and social situations. I face what makes me uncomfortable and after a while things get better. Especially with jobs, you get used to the daily interactions and you become comfortable

This is what I'm trying to do. Force myself to do it because I have to and there's no other choice. But everywhere I go to apply they say they aren't hiring. Bleh

Shant

I recently (and surprisingly to myself, after applying all over the place for well over a year) got a job at Tim Horton's. It definitely takes some getting used to, but unless you do something to really piss off the employers/employees (like intentionally show up hours late), keeping the job isn't so hard. If you're new to having a job in general, they tend to have some leniency (their first job + first few weeks = they're going to give you time to get used to it).

It can be kind of straining when it comes to socializing, though, at times.

sullyS25

This is what I'm trying to do. Force myself to do it because I have to and there's no other choice. But everywhere I go to apply they say they aren't hiring. Bleh

Well you are doing something. It can definitely be discouraging man but at least you arent sitting on your couch complaining and not doing anything about it. I used to do that all the time and it got me no where

Several years ago I got a job in retail. I was so desperate for a job that I took it without really thinking about how it was going to bring out my SP. My FIRST day, they had me running the cash register by myself. It was at a pet store, so I figured I would get some kind of training in animals or be filling out paperwork. Nope. I was indescribably terrified. I'd never worked a register before. I was afraid I would give back incorrect change or muff something up. I'm not gonna lie, I was scared every time I had to check someone out. But three things saved me. One, I wasn't working at Walmart or any place where it is busy ALL the time. Two, I interacted with the customers. Talking to them calmed me down. It gave me something else to focus on; I find when I multitask that I'm less nervous about any one aspect of the multitasking. Three, I would say about 50 - 60% of transactions are with check/credit/debit. Another 10% are people who pay with exact change, so the percentage of transactions dealing with cash back isn't that big.

I ended up staying at that job for almost 3 years, even being promoted to a managerial position. It wasn't an ideal job, mostly because I had to talk to people all the time about their dog's bowel movements or the mating rituals of red blood cichlids or why hamsters are the spawn of Satan himself. And my boss was an absolute pill. But, big BUT, I actually became comfortable with it all. Well, as comfortable as someone with SP can be in a retail job. I think it comes down to two things. The first being that it is just going to take experience for you to get comfortable. Having a job is never going to feel less scary unless you actually have experience in having one. My dread over getting my first job was probably very similar to what you are feeling now. I started with something simple and SP friendly - dishwasher at a nursing home. But now that I've had that experience, I do have some faith and confidence in my ability to have and hold a job. I'm currently on the job hunt and scared, but I know that I can do it. I just need to find a job within my limits. The second thing is actually the customers. They were a perfect distraction for my anxiety. Yes, there are the select few who are mean and most are indifferent at best. But the ones that are talkative and polite and kind, even when you want nothing more than for them to shut their pie holes, they are the ones that actually calmed me. I know it sounds weird, but talking to them opened me up a bit and it gives you something else to focus on other than what you are doing. The best part was that most of the nicer people are regular customers, so you know what they are going to buy and what pets they have and you can strike up a good repore with them. Anyhoo, I just rambled on for way too long. Hopefully even a sliver of this post will help you in some way.

In the interest of full disclosure, I got hired once as a member of the bookkeeping dept or a appliance store. It was 9-5, Monday thru Saturday. I went in on Monday, was taught the ropes and went home. I was tired and scared. I was up all night, my stomach in knots over going back in the morning. I cried half of the night. On my way there in the morning, I realized I was way over my head. I went in, told my boss the truth, and quit after one day. I have never felt that low in my entire life. Not everything goes according to plan. Sometimes things just aren't a good fit. You just need to know your limits, accept them as limits, find something that interests you, and go from there.

I'm going to shut up now. :)

ETA: That's the most I've talked in a long time!

I can relate to what you said at the end, I was at a job for 20 days doing the front desk and working in another department trying to clean up the work someone else left and it was too much for me and I had to resign. I had the same feelings you did, I couldn't sleep, I felt stressed out and I went in and told my boss I was resigning immediately. I felt bad as well but that job wasn't a good fit for me and I don't regret quitting. I haven't found anything yet but I am hopeful that I will find a job right for me soon.