Hopping along - Hoppy's journal

coyote

So picture this....

the last two summers, the part time help i've hired has been from all over eastern europe, plus one girl from vietnam - and no one speaks the same language

so far, the only foreign help i have this year are two girls from jamaica - and their english is quite good

it's still early in the season, though

Srijita52

Lifted from the facebook DIY CBT group.

420726_10150573848427207_1763210443_n.jpg

^This is so true.

Hoppy

During the market yesterday I had a light-bulb moment on conversations. Approaching someone to do a sale is not very difficult, I've got a thick skin by now.

I can start the patter, and I can answer any questions, but the problem starts when the person doesn't react to what I am saying.

If they are not interested, that is OK, but the ones who seems interested, but doesn't react "correctly" make the conversation a flop. I somehow are unable to break throught that barrier.

And that make me think, how do other people experience me? I tend to get nervous and then blurt out anything that pop up into my mind, and that is much too often sarcastic or a completely unnecessary joke.

That even happens during online chatting.

I really need more practise.

My escape fund has now hit 25%

Hoppy

From Washinton Post, Carolyn Hax. I decided this is important enough to paste the entire story in here.

Dear Carolyn:

I have been with my husband for a total of 10 years, and we are both in our early 30s. I absolutely adore him.

I am an introvert. My husband is a true extrovert who has MANY friends. When we decided to get married, I knew that was his personality and was fine with his going out and attending parties whenever he wanted to and I would stay home on occasions when I wanted to.

The problem is that the older I get, the more occasions there are when I want to stay home. Specifically, visiting his family is just exhausting for me. We always have a billion things scheduled and go from place to place having lunches, coffees, dinners, drinks, etc. with all his friends and family.

I love that he enjoys all of this, I really do. However, I find myself dreading these visits because I come home so emotionally drained. I thought I was doing a good job of being a good sport, but recently he has noticed my lack of enthusiasm for visiting his family and all that is involved with these visits.

What is the right balance here? I really care for his family, they are great people and I love them to visit me in our home, but I feel out of my element and overwhelmed when we visit there. Help! I want to do the right thing for my husband.

Anonymous

As your foray into good sportsmanship just demonstrated, sometimes the right thing for your husband is to do the right thing for you.

You love him and you like his family, and haven’t clipped his extrovert wings, so the important things are there. Meaning, you don’t need to prove your affection for either by pasting a smile on your face through lunch, coffee, dinner, drinks and the dreaded “etc.”

Instead, you can explain to your husband (if he’s somehow not fully versed in the nature of your nature) that the social interactions that energize him have a draining effect on you. Then point out that the enthusiasm deficit he detects isn’t purposeful — you’ve really tried to rally for him — but it is real, because these visits wipe you out. You can’t be “on” socially for several events in rapid succession, not without taking breaks to recharge.

Then say you’d like to start including some breaks on your next visit so you can really enjoy yourself with these great people, instead of just trying to appear as if you are for fear of hurting their feelings.

Then ask him if he has any preference in the way you handle these breaks. A full schedule one day, followed by a day off? Skip every other/every third scheduled stop each day? Join everyone for meals and entertain yourself between? He picks two can’t-miss gatherings daily and for the rest you see how you feel?

That you’re framing this in terms of what’s right for your husband says you want to keep rallying. Make that clear to him, while not straying from the message of you: You are his opposite. Quantity of social time comes at the expense of quality. Therefore, neither of you will like the results if he rejects either-or and expects you to have his capacity for both.

Agent_Violet

that article hit home for me. i was in that woman's exact situation. No balance could be found bc neither person could bend. The marriage ultimately failed when i decided enough was enough.

Hoppy

I guess the right way might be a balance between both.

If you can find someone who will allow a balance.

I've known some people now for many years, and in all that time I've never done anything enjoyable with them. I always have to do what they like, and if I suggest something they are not interested.

That is why one of my definitions of friend is someone who will allow me to do something I like on my birthday. Not much hope of that, ever.

Not a good day for me either. Started clencing my teeth until I could taste blood. And yesterday was such a nice day.

Hoppy

From Letter from Reachfar, by Jane Duncan.

"The next day, in the stable, George said: "You said a very bad word yesterday when the rat bit you."

"I did not!" I argued. "It was you that said dirty boogger."

My grandmother was always scolding George for saying bad words like booger and devil and damn.

"You said far worse," he told me, "and you weren't even angry at the time and your finger was bandaged and not so sore any more. You said hate." He spoke the word in an emphasised undertone, as if it were too dreadful to speak aloud. "I never thought to hear you use that word."

"It's a bad word, George?"

"The worst word in the whole wide world, far worse than boogger or devil or **** or any of them. It is far worse than damn, even."

"Why?"

"Ach, boogger and devil and **** are just words that don't mean anything and damn is just stupid because nobody can damn anybody, but hate is something you can do and it is a very bad thing to do and a bad word to say."

Srijita52

If you can find someone who will allow a balance.

I've known some people now for many years, and in all that time I've never done anything enjoyable with them. I always have to do what they like, and if I suggest something they are not interested.

That is why one of my definitions of friend is someone who will allow me to do something I like on my birthday. Not much hope of that, ever.

Not a good day for me either. Started clencing my teeth until I could taste blood. And yesterday was such a nice day.
I'm sorry Hoppy. I guess some people are too stubbor even to consider what others like. I hope who will be interested in what you like.

Hoppy

And one of the follow up comments to the Carolyn Hax advice above, there was this little piece, and I like the concept very much.

I really sympathize with the LW from June 19, as I am married to an extravert. He had a hard time understanding that the social activities that gave him a boost in energy would actually drain me. He used to think that I just didn't like his friends or family, but it was really that I'd run out of steam and want to go home while he was still going strong. It wasn't until we were doing Weight Watchers together that I finally figured out how to explain it to him. WW assigns points values to food, so once you're out of points for the day, you're basically done with eating for that day. So introverts have "social points": a limit to the amount of social interactions they can endure in one day. Time alone or a good nap can replenish the stock of social points, just like how exercising earns you more points in WW. And now that my husband understands the nature of being an introvert, we've been able to work out compromises to balance our social needs. He gets to spend lots of time with friends and family, and I get to take breaks as needed, with no judgments attached.

Hoppy

The last few weeks have been strange for me. I had to go to the market every Saturday to man the stall, and the early days have knocked my Saturdays off, since all I want to do when I get back is sleep.

My Sunday afternoons has now been dedicated to reading or sleeping, ending with mostly sleeping.

And it is winter this side, and if it wasn't for my dog that forces me to take her for walkies in the evenings I wouldn't go out at all.

My evenings consist of spending time online, and after doing my 4 newspapers, my 3 forums, and a few other everyday pages, I sort of get stuck. It is bad sitting in front of the internet and just reloading pages I've read earlier in the evening.

On the very positive side, I'm at peace with myself. I am not really depressed and my anger issues are mostly directed at myself and not at other people.

But my energy levels are low. Every time I try to push myself it feels uncomfortable, as if I must keep my strength up for something else. And if I lose that strength I am not going to recover easily.

This isn't really a complaint or a cry for help. I just feel smothered, and I do not have the energy to escape.

And even escape is the wrong word, it is not that urgent.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Hoppy

So today was my last day at the market and it went quite well. So next Saturday I can sleep late.

Someone dropped a flower at the stall, and I picked it up, but she was gone already, so I gave the flower to a pretty woman, and she said: "Oh wow."

And when I saw her later with her female partner I realised that my luck is out again. At least she was still carrying the flower.

I had a strange hitch with my car on the way to the movie, and on the way home my car broke down.

I'm not sure what is wrong, but when I opened the bonnet there were some small flames coming from beneath the engine. So I had to wait for a tow, and only got back after dark.

And I have some work that have to be finished by Monday, so what I was supposed to do this afternoon now has to happen tomorrow.

Hoppy

Changing direction

If you think that any one of these things could ruin your life, you’re right. You’re also wrong. Such things don’t happen to your life. They are your life, or, rather, just one part of your life. Never mind that it’s a part you wish you could skip over. It’s yours, at least for a time. That’s not to say you’ll stay in one place forever. You’re not accepting defeat. You’re temporarily changing direction.

Many of us hope for smooth sailing on life’s tranquil stream, but suddenly we’re drowning in debt or underwater on our mortgages. Aqueous metaphors aside, the fact is that none of us is guaranteed an easy ride. Bad stuff happens, often to good people.

Hoppy

So tomorrow I am going to sleep late, no more market for me.:)

And my car is right again. Very expensive engine replacement, the engine siezed, and a conrod went into the block.

Donations welcome....

Hoppy

My dog died at 4 o'clock this morning.

She was 12 years and 9 months old.

Lady became ill yesterday morning, and I took her to the vet, but she just became weaker and weaker through the day and the night.

I got her when she was a six week old puppy. She was my constant companion, slept in my bedroom (but never wanted to sleep on my bed, in spite of encouragement), she went to work with me, dragged me out for countless walks, winter and summer and could never understood why I didn't want to go walk in the rain.

Her fetish for rolling things made her chase balls and anything that could roll. I often threw her empty paint tins because she destroyed the balls. And the one thing I could never teach her was to give a ball back. She could hold 2 tennis balls in her mouth and keep on dodging me.

She was always game for a drive, even the last few months when I had to help her into the car, she went into many hardware stores with me, and always were welcomed. I never put her on a strap, she was always close to me and listened when I talked.

She was the light of my life, always glad to see me, and if I was busy with something she would push her nose under my arm, demanding attention.

Very often she would push between my legs, looking up at me and laughing. Those who has seen a Labrador laugh will know what I am talking about.

She will be sorely missed.

Agent_Violet

My dog died at 4 o'clock this morning.

She was 12 years and 9 months old.

Lady became ill yesterday morning, and I took her to the vet, but she just became weaker and weaker through the day and the night.

I got her when she was a six week old puppy. She was my constant companion, slept in my bedroom (but never wanted to sleep on my bed, in spite of encouragement), she went to work with me, dragged me out for countless walks, winter and summer and could never understood why I didn't want to go walk in the rain.

Her fetish for rolling things made her chase balls and anything that could roll. I often threw her empty paint tins because she destroyed the balls. And the one thing I could never teach her was to give a ball back. She could hold 2 tennis balls in her mouth and keep on dodging me.

She was always game for a drive, even the last few months when I had to help her into the car, she went into many hardware stores with me, and always were welcomed. I never put her on a strap, she was always close to me and listened when I talked.

She was the light of my life, always glad to see me, and if I was busy with something she would push her nose under my arm, demanding attention.

Very often she would push between my legs, looking up at me and laughing. Those who has seen a Labrador laugh will know what I am talking about.

She will be sorely missed.

this post made me cry:( I am so sorry for your loss Hoppy. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. ((((((((hugsHoppy)))))))))