Hopping along - Hoppy's journal

Hoppy

Another amazing post on Waitbutwhy.

A religion for the nonreligious

late-night.jpg

Hoppy

10% happier

To be clear, I’m not talking about “hearing voices,” I’m talking about the internal narrator, the most intimate part of our lives. The voice comes braying in as soon as we open our eyes in the morning, and then heckles us all day long with an air horn. It’s a fever swamp of urges, desires, and judgments. It’s fixated on the past and the future, to the detriment of the here and now. It’s what has us reaching into the fridge when we’re not hungry, losing our temper when we know it’s not really in our best interest, and pruning our inboxes when we’re ostensibly engaged in conversation with other human beings. Our inner chatter isn’t all bad, of course. Sometimes it’s creative, generous, or funny. But if we don’t pay close attention —which very few of us are taught how to do— it can be a malevolent puppeteer.

Last edited:

Hoppy

I think it is time to stop posting in this thread for me.

I have finally managed to subdue the beast. I am by no means finally cured, and I am still working on myself, and will probably have to until the day I die.

Most, if not all, of the links and websites that helped me in this journey is posted in this thread, so if you want to know what I did, have a look. I will during the coming weeks go through it, delete dud links and so on.

I will still be lurking around the forums, I've been a member here since 2008, most of the people I know online are on here, and I love you all. (Some more than others of course.)

To sum up a little.

I am now 44 years old.

In the past two years I have lost 45 kg / 99 lbs, started a love/hate relationship with fitness, but are learning to like it a little more, with a final and reachable goal of having a six-pack. :bigsmile:

I still have social anxiety, but I am working on this, and have improved immensely over the last few months, and can really see hope in the future that I will defeat that. I will always be an introvert, and I have learned to prefer that.

The family still drives me crazy.

And I am still poor.:sad:

The two most important things to remember:

Words have power. Learn to control the words you use, write a journal, be nice to yourself. My turning point was the day I called myself an idiot, and immediately responded and said: "Do not talk to yourself like that, it is not right."

The things you do every day matters more than the things you do one in a while. 15 minutes walking every day is better than a gym session once a week. And if that feels too much, do even less. One push-up a day is better than none.

Remember that all of this is not a race, but a journey. There will be ups and there will be downs, but eventually the downs will not be so bad, and the ups will reach heights that were unimaginable before.

Very wise words there, as always :thumbup:
Those links you posted are definately piquing my interest, so for sure i will at some point go through your entire thread, investigating all or most of ths links .. who knows, some of it may inspire or even help me (& others too of course).

So it's good of you to post the links, as we all need to try to help each other on this site as much as we can! :applause:

About deleting dud links, sometimes thay CAN be found on say archive.org (unless you mean images?); if you leave them intact, then maybe some of us migt be able to locate copies of those sites? (& then post these alternative links back). I could do some if i get some time to kill (which is quite often).

And just for interest, was there any particiular or specific order of websites/techniques that seemed to work best or okay?