Hey. My name is Nick.

Sick Nick

I've lived with social anxiety and other mental health problems since I was a kid. When I'm around people I don't know (and even some that I do) I get extremely shy and anxious. I tend to put my head down or in other directions, loose control of the faces that I make, smile a lot, occasionally stutter as well as shake, etc. I use to stay in the house a lot. Was a bit of an alcoholic (still drink often but not as much as I used to). Drinking was (and is) the only way I could come out of my shell and have more control. Liquid courage. But the last couple of years I broke free from the prison of my room and my home. I found a program that helped people who are disadvantaged or had disabilities find jobs after they worked this program for a while. So I worked in this little building doing janitorial work, cleaning up after mentally challenged and disabled people who went there for activities and learning. I worked there for 10 months. My supervisor was pretty horrible but I didn't let her bring me down. My nickname from my coworkers was hard working man. I was a perfectionist and did everything the best I could. Graduated from the program and spent two months looking for work. Felt like an eternity. Got my opportunity at Walmart. Started there as a cart pusher. This is a super center mind you, it has up hills and down hills, in the busy city of Palmdale, in the state of California. It was the most stressful, hard working job I ever had. I worked that job for over 10 months. Again I broke my back and gave my all and earned the respect (though nothing is ever good enough for the store managers, assistant managers, or C.S.M.'s) . Anyway I started to get over my fear of people, started to become more relaxed around them and started to gain some self-esteem. But working at that place man, eventually they broke me down and I became stressed, depressed, and my anxiety came back. It didn't interfere with my work, well maybe just a little bit. After not being treated very well ( not given enough drinks when it was hot, cart pushing machines breaking down (only once being repaired in that 10 months), never enough coworkers, and all the crazy people) I had had enough. I let them know I wanted inside the store and a chance at a different job. Then the day came when I found out I was being held back from being in the store because C.S.M.'s, assistant managers etc. thought I was special (mentally challenged). They thought I was a liability, needed a job coach, etc. So I raised hell, let them know that I had social anxiety disorder and was not special. Out of fear of me getting them in trouble for discrimination or something they gave me a shot at being an unloader with a full time position. I have been working this job for three days. Still get treated like **** and have to put up with B.S. but I am working hard and doing great. Since I started working almost two years ago I have lost 65 pounds. I used to weigh 250, I was 290 somethin at my biggest. Now I am at 175. Still have a gut (probably from beer drinking) but I am healthier and stronger than I have ever been. I am drinking as I type this (bad day at work) but I thought I would finally introduce myself. Came across this site a couple weeks back. I was looking for peaceful jobs and people who have social anxiety and found this place. It's nice to know that I am not alone. I sympathize with a lot of you and have similar experiences and problems. I hope to make friends, be there for ya all, and share what I am going through. Feel free to talk to me and ask any questions. I am the nicest guy in the world and am a peaceful person.

Hey man, it's great to hear your story. Thank you for sharing, it was a very nice read indeed! Inspirational, even :).

I can relate to you as well... I've worked some pretty ****ty jobs and have a decent one at the momment. I am treated like **** by my supervisors (biggest *******s ever btw), but I try not to care and defend myself when they just want to give me a hard time just for the sake of doing it.

You indeed sound like a hard-working, dedicated and nice person, which is a great help when battling Social Anxiety :).

My work too makes my SA worse because it can be very stressful. What I'm coming to realize very recently is that we're brainwashed into thinking that we need to be stressed in order to be considered a good worker. Yet that isn't true - do your job, do it at a normal pace (in which you will get all your work done), don't do anything you shouldn't be doing (stealing/taking longer breaks/etc...)... and don't worry about getting fired/in trouble because you simply cannot if you do all of the above things. And if your supervisors/co-workers want to be dicks to you just for the hell of it, **** THEM (and defend yourself, you can't get fired/in trouble for doing so)... let them know how you feeel, otherwise they will continue to treat you like ****.

Hope you enjoy yourself here and are willing to share your experiences/knowledge with us. We can always use more people like you here ;)

Welcome! :cool:

Last edited:

sleeper

Nick -

I can relate to you about your boss, and I am sure many others can too. I have had many terrible and abusive bosses, and was always afraid to stand up for myself, partly due to social anxiety and partly the fear of getting fired. Give some people a little power and they run away with it and and think they rule the world.

Brian

LookingForward

Hey Sick Nick, welcome to the forum. I can sympathize with your epic tale... had quite a few tough no gratitude jobs myself... its no fun. Hope u enjoy it here, we all understand u here...

Daz

Hi Nick, welcome to the site.

Good on you for standing up to your bosses. At my place of work, no one has the balls to stand up for themselves. We get treated like ****, day in, day out. We carry on working there, as the banter is good amongst us minions..

Hope you enjoy the site!

Sick Nick

Thanks guys. Appreciate the support and everything. I will respond and write more when I get the chance. Two more days of work.... I work 4:00 P.M. - 1:00 A.M. five days a week unloading. Today was a better day at work. I have a coworker that is like a guardian angel. He is patient with me, defends me, and teaches me. I wish more people were like that.