Have you ever pretended to be on your cellphone to avoid social situations?

zav943

*Inspired by a reply in another thread*

It's rare that I have to resort to that strategy, but somehow I end up doing it a couple of times a year! Whenever I need to 'get out fast' or I feel immensely uncomfortable or left out, I'll whip out my cellphone and subtly start pretending like I'm having a conversation.

Ree_Ree

Now since you mentioned it, I have done that a lot. Before I had text messaging on my phone, I used to pretend like I'm talking to someone on the phone. Then once I got text messaging on my phone, I started to text people (well that's what it looked like.)

I did it a lot in public; while waiting to catch the bus or at some social gathering. I don't want to look stupid for too long, so I wip-out the phone, and I feel a little better for a few minutes.

Yeah, Sometime when i'm out eating alone pretending SMS to avoid everyone looking at me. Because, everyone is with someone but me.

mrb

Yeah, Sometime when i'm out eating alone pretending SMS to avoid everyone looking at me. Because, everyone is with someone but me.

not true lol if you look in the corner you will see me all on my little lonesome ::p: im always eating out alone :)

SilverFire

I haven't done this mostly because whatever's in my head is way more interesting than what's on my phone. I can stand there and be aloof and look cool (or so I think). But I could swear that I've seen other people get on their phones to avoid social situations, and specifically to avoid me. That kinda sucks, but whatever.

Tiercel

I don't have a phone to tempt me, but I'm tempted to try it anyway the next time I go out. Who knows? Maybe having an imaginary conversation on an imaginary phone would get rid of some of the people who make me uncomfortable.

Then again, I'm awfully bad at keeping conversations going. So it would either be utter failure or a smashing success.

Waybuloo

There was an advert where a girl saw a guy she likes, she pretends to talk on her phone cause she's shy around him, but got caught short when her phone started ringing. I'd be scared if that happened :0

krs2snow

Yeah, I've done it. Not usually if I'm around people I actually know tho. Only in situations where there's a lot o folks I don't know and I feel uncomfortable... then I fake a call.

I just wanted to point out to you and mrb in the corner seat of the restaurant that at least your out an about! Even if you do "pretend call" while ur there. It takes a lot of courage to go out and do something on your own.

awkwardamanda

I don't fake conversations but if I'm out in public alone, feeling awkward, sometimes I'll start pissing around with my phone, pressing random buttons to look like I'm texting or something. I do this especially if I'm eating alone in public, instead of staring around the room looking like a dumbass.

seafolly

YES.

I had a falling out with an ex-roommate only the trouble was I moved into an apartment next to our original place! I basically saw her every day which did a number on my agoraphobia. I quit the gym we both went to, I avoided the library, I basically avoided LIFE to avoid being reminded of what she did. Anyway, there was often the awkward "okay we're the only ones on the sidewalk we kind of half to fake being civil" moment on the way to or from classes and so I'd keep my eyes peeled and basically would have that phone in hand at the ready. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a conversation with myself, I just pretended I was listening and would only have to wave at her.

agoraphobickatie

i do this a lot.. well, i don't know about 'a lot', but more than a few times a year, haha.. i'll just pretend to talk or text if i'm in a store and sales people are trying to bug me (which is very annoying to me.. lol) or if someone's staring at me and i don't want them to start talking to me or anything, idk, haha