Hair dye color?

FriendlyShadow

Do you care if a guy or a girl colors their hair? I've heard most people I've met prefer their natural hair color and that if they dye their hair, it makes them look fake or trying to be like a celebrity. I don't get it. Why do some people make assumptions like that? What if the people who dye their hair are just bored with their hair color and want to try a different style. That's up to them whether they want to do it, not what people want them to do. Anyways I have medium brown hair and I have never dyed my hair before and I was either thinking of dying it red, black, or like a dark chocolate brown hair style. Someone told me those colors would suit me well while this other person told me she liked me better as a brunette. If I do this, do you think it could be damaging to my hair if I do it once? Also(and I'm just curious), if any of you wanted to dye your hair, what color would it be.

Phoenixx

I don't mind people dying their hair at all. If they want a change, great! Go for it!

I dye my hair. I'm a natural blonde, but I actually don't like blonde hair on me, so I dye it light brown. I use a demi color though, which has no ammonia, so it's a little better for your hair. (Don't get me wrong, all dyes are damaging to your hair one way or another; it's the type of dyes though that vary in chemicals) It's not permanent, so it only lasts about 20 washes, but it fades into your hair better, so you're not left with really noticeable streaks. It's what my hairdresser (Which is a family friend who has her cosmetology license. I don't go to an actual salon or anything) recommended, so I went with it and it works great for me. Not a huge dramatic change, but just right for me that it's noticeable.

If you just dye your hair once, it shouldn't be too damaging. Just don't dye it too often or you'll really be damaging your hair.

SilentBird

My hair is dark-brown/mousey and it's my favourite hair colour on a woman. As a kid I had blonde hair and am still blonde by nature :cool: I have sometimes dyed my hair black but I am concerned that it might contribute to my already significantly-receding hairline. There are horror stories about dye, such as severe scalp-burning/scarring. It puts me off a little but I have dyed my hair since hearing about it.

razzle dazzle rose

As long as you don't bleach your hair like a platinum blonde, you should be fine. Coloring your hair is a fun way to change up your look. I have been doing it since I was 13.

Red dye washes out fast but you never really do get rid of that reddish tint. Henna does give beautiful red color but multiple applications are needed and it is a very messy process. If you want to go red, henna is your best bet.

Black hair is kinda permanent. In the way that you will have to get your hair bleached to get it out. Half of hair is black and the rest like a dark brown. Refuse to bleach it, so I am letting it grow out. It is a pain.

Your safest bet is that dark chocolate brown. It is a beautiful color too. Maybe try one of those new mousse hair dyes. They look gentle and easy to use. Or go to a professional.

Another option would be those "gloss" dyes that don't add color but make your hair super shiny. Oh, and remember to do an allergy test before coloring your hair just to make sure you won't get some bad reaction.

GhastlyCC

I have been dying my hair black since I was like 15. :p
I like it.
I've added other colors before...but black is always the main color.
Black & red,Black & orange,Black & Purple,Black & green etc

And you should be safe.
I don't think it will do any damage to your hair.
I'm still told pretty often that my hair looks pretty and healthy.lol

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

I was born blonde and blonde up until I was 8, now when my hair gets long it has black roots, brown half way down and blonde tips.
It looks cheap, and like I bleached it a million years ago and let it grow out-- even though it's the way it comes in naturally.

So, I like to dye my hair medium brown to give everything one solid shade.

I started dying my hair in grade 6.
I've had black, purple, fuschia, blonde, every brown and auburn imaginable, red, streaks, highlights and lowlights... I'd only dye my hair once or twice a year though.
My hair grows quickly. After 2 or 3 times dying it, I'd usually chop it off and start from scratch again-- until my natural colour would annoy me and I'd change it up and repeat the cycle.

Haven't dyed my hair in 3 years.
Last time I did, it was an apple purple/red.

I've never heard of any stigma against people dying their hair...

I highlight my hair. It's a dullish brown and I like to add reddish streaks to it. My sister has been dyeing her hair for a long time. She dyes it "burgundy," but everyone in my family thinks it's purple. :) I have a friend that dyes her hair different colors all the time. It's always black, but sometimes the tips are blue or there is one group of strands that is white or something like that. I don't care at all what someone does with their hair. It's their hair and whatever makes them happy.

cowboyup

I think it's just fine! I have known people who prefer natural hair color, blondes only, brunettes, and redheads. I guess to each their own :)

When I was little my hair was albino white looking and as I grew up it turned dirty blonde then as I got even older, it's more strawberry blonde looking. I've had my hair dyed all shades of red and burgundy and most colors of the rainbow...granted, there was some damage to my hair but I've since grown it out and keep it dyed to highlight my natural blonde/reddish color.
It's a light strawberry blonde color I use.

I always dyed my hair until I became dangerously allergic now I can't dye it any colour ever again.

There is no colour my hair hasnt been.

Be warned, hair dye destroys your hair (and it wont be just the one time ;) its highly addictive)

If you dont like a cut, hair grows, if u dont like a colour....its messy. Hair can go green then you have to strip it or bleach it and it smokes lol. ...Eh...slippery slope yknow...and then after that abuse it may not grow back as thick

anyway just a warning. If you want to change your haircolour, go for it (always patch test and skin sensitivity test 48hrs advance....trust me).

U

user deleted

I'd think about your skin tone etc before you decide on a colour, i.e. whether you have warm or cool tone skin in order to avoid your hair colour looking completely ridiculous on you.

As rose said, if you're going to dye your hair red, just beware that you will literally never get warm tones out of your hair. Same goes if you put warmer dark shades on your hair. After dye starts to fade on my hair, I always have warmth that will just push through, no matter what colour I put on. It's really annoying, because cool toned hair suits me better.
Black will also leave you with orange pigment in your hair when you bleach it out, it takes a while to get rid of it so it's a big commitment.

If you want to do something really different, you could always try manic panic or something similar. Manic panic is vegan friendly, and really conditions your hair when you use it. It doesn't cause any damage and there's a ton of colours. They do need to go on light or bleached hair though, if you want them super luminous. They're semi-permanent and wash out pretty quickly.. if you want to improve the longevity just mix a bit of the colour in with your conditioner when you condition your hair. It seems to work for me.

There's a few dyes out now which are pretty decent and don't cause too much damage to your hair. As long as you aren't dying all the time, bleaching, using a lot of heat etc you should be okay. Might be worth investing in a good conditioning treatment to apply once a week, seems to work well for my hair.

Last edited:

Luka

Change is good! So if you want to then you should. I've dyed my hair a few times and it definitely has changed the texture of my hair which I'm not happy about. In my opinion, I think I prefer my natural hair colour but I'm glad I dyed my hair because I liked seeing what I looked like with different hair colours.

cowboyup

If you want to do something really different, you could always try manic panic or something similar. Manic panic is vegan friendly, and really conditions your hair when you use it. It doesn't cause any damage and there's a ton of colours. They do need to go on light or bleached hair though, if you want them super luminous. They're semi-permanent and wash out pretty quickly.. if you want to improve the longevity just mix a bit of the colour in with your condition when you condition your hair. It seems to work for me.

Amp, I've heard of Manic Panic. I didn't know it was vegan friendly...I'll have to check it out...plus, that's a good idea to mix color with conditioner, never thought of that!

U

user deleted

Amp, I've heard of Manic Panic. I didn't know it was vegan friendly...I'll have to check it out...plus, that's a good idea to mix color with conditioner, never thought of that!

I really like that they don't test on animals. I always try to buy products from companies with strong ethical standards, they can be difficult to find sometimes. The downside to manic panic is they don't do 'normal' shades like browns, some of the reds are really nice though. Oh, but you can mix them together to make new shades, or dilute them with conditioner when you apply, so if you're putting them on really light bleached hair you can have more of a pastel shade.

http://www.idyemyhair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/manic_panic_swatch_chart.jpg

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I'm thinking of going back to bluish black, 'cause it's easy, permanent and doesn't require bleaching, YAY!

I've been dark brown, blonde, black, black & blue, black & purple and pinkish red. My natural hair colour is mousy brown, which I hate. It's a hassle, I'll admit, and my hair is probably damaged from all the bleaching and permanent colours, but I don't feel comfortable with my naturally dull hair.

Do what you want and dye your hair, maybe with a semi-permanent colour first (permanent dyes are more convenient but they're also more damaging). I'd recommend going with a colour that's darker than your natural colour, that way you won't have to bleach it first. Red and other unnatural colours require at least some bleaching first, so you might want to leave that one for later.

chibiXphantom

i dont care if people dye their hair or not

my hair is naturally a dull, brown colour with a silvery tint (always been that way).
ive dyed it dark brown and black a few times, but i let the dye fade to almost my natural colour. now i have blonde highlights

if it werent for my job's super conservitive dress code, id have purple hair now

Last edited:

knowledgeofself

ha! its interesting that theres a consensus nowadays that its done to try and fit in and be popular or "mainstream". 30 years ago it was done for exactly the opposite reason (punks)

Muka

I have been dying my hair for years now. As I keep it short, it grows out quite fast so a new colour happens a lot. I am naturally auban and have been everything from silver to green. I could, so I did. At the moment it is black with white bits at the front, Sweeney Todd style and last month it was pillar-box red. The next time I get it done, I'm going for bright purple. Damaging I know but every three dye's I let it grow out and keep it natural for a few months. Not sure if this makes a difference or not but I do it anyway.

I think its fine on others. I see hair dye, peircings and tatoo's as a form of self-exprestion. Love them all.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I've heard most people I've met prefer their natural hair color and that if they dye their hair, it makes them look fake or trying to be like a celebrity.

People you met are weird o_O

I dyed my hair for years, the only reason why I stopped is because I wanted to infiltrate the system :cool: When you suck socially, it's easier with natural hair. It makes you look more normal. But other than that, if I didn't have to look credible at work, I would still dye my hair black & blue as I used to - I think it makes life less boring