guilt after buying things for yourself?

cricket

I don't think anyone in the world can explain it better then blackpuma.;)
And because this reply is useless if I should press the 'Submit Reply' button, I'm gonna say myself that money excists for spending it. Not everything offcourse. Work to live, not live to work. Or something like that.

true. blackpuma you always seem to have the right answers ::p:

i didn't realize so many people felt the same way, but it seems like the things i am reading on this thread that everyone feels guilty for buying are things that they need and deserve. still even thinking logically doesn't always take the guilty feeling away :rolleyes:

anyway, thank you all for all the kind words, they mean a lot ::eek::

LadyWench

does anyone else feel guilty/anxious after spending money on themselves?

i am feeling this way right now. i just bought some birthday gifts online for a couple of people, and i threw in some stuff i wanted too, and i am feeling guilty about buying things for myself ::(:

i try to justify it because it was all very inexpensive and on sale, and also because i bought things for other people but it isn't helping much!

i have a job and pay my own bills and everything, but most of the time i feel guilty buying stuff for myself that i don't necessarily need (clothes, shoes, games, electronics, etc.).

i almost feel like i should never spend money unless i absolutely have to, even though i know logically it is not a bad thing to treat myself to new things occasionally with my hard-earned money.

i didn't realize this post would be so long, i apologize ::p:

does anyone else experience this? :confused:

I get this feeling all the time. I don't work and am completely useless. Although, when I occasionally get money, I feel bad for spending it on myself. When I did work, I would spoil everyone else and I loved it. But when I treated myself to something, I felt guilty. However, I don't think you should feel this way at all. If you earned the money, then you deserve everything you buy for yourself! Do you think these feelings could stem from a possible lack of self-worth, or something? I'm just guessing, because I think that's where my issues come from.

Richey

does anyone else feel guilty/anxious after spending money on themselves?

i am feeling this way right now. i just bought some birthday gifts online for a couple of people, and i threw in some stuff i wanted too, and i am feeling guilty about buying things for myself ::(:

i try to justify it because it was all very inexpensive and on sale, and also because i bought things for other people but it isn't helping much!

i have a job and pay my own bills and everything, but most of the time i feel guilty buying stuff for myself that i don't necessarily need (clothes, shoes, games, electronics, etc.).

i almost feel like i should never spend money unless i absolutely have to, even though i know logically it is not a bad thing to treat myself to new things occasionally with my hard-earned money.

i didn't realize this post would be so long, i apologize ::p:

does anyone else experience this? :confused:

hmm i think its important to always keep to a budget so you know how much excess you have to spend splurge on yourself mainly because its too important to have a roof over your head first and food etc in the adult realm unless you live at with the parents but i think its important to save, there is also the argument that people spend all their money living in the now because tommorrow the world could end which is also a worthy opinion to have i think ...one emphasizes security the other living in the moment ...

cricket

I get this feeling all the time. I don't work and am completely useless. Although, when I occasionally get money, I feel bad for spending it on myself. When I did work, I would spoil everyone else and I loved it. But when I treated myself to something, I felt guilty. However, I don't think you should feel this way at all. If you earned the money, then you deserve everything you buy for yourself! Do you think these feelings could stem from a possible lack of self-worth, or something? I'm just guessing, because I think that's where my issues come from.

hmm you shouldn't feel so guilty now. if you spoiled everyone when you had a job you deserve to spoil yourself too it is only fair :). thatnk you for the kind words, and i do think it could stem from self worth... i don't know. i think i am worth some things, but i also think i don't deserve to buy things because i am not working hard enough or doing enough with my life. you may be right :/

cricket

hmm i think its important to always keep to a budget so you know how much excess you have to spend splurge on yourself mainly because its too important to have a roof over your head first and food etc in the adult realm unless you live at with the parents but i think its important to save, there is also the argument that people spend all their money living in the now because tommorrow the world could end which is also a worthy opinion to have i think ...one emphasizes security the other living in the moment ...

i tried to make a budget online but it didn't work the way i wanted it to. i think it is a really good idea though, i'm kind of obsessive about having lists and keeping things organized so i want to get a little book or something to keep track of my budget. i do always make sure i've paid my bills and things first, i don't think that will ever be an issue. i'm too paranoid to let that happen ::p: and i do have some money saved up in the bank, but i'm very weird about not going under a certain amount. thank you for the help :)

I only feel guilty if I spent money I shouldn't have or that I buy something I dont need. But I do not feel guilty about buying things for myself in general. Just remind yourself that you did nothing wrong, unless its like you say, something you didnt need. If thats the case then work on that bad habit.

Mr.Moon

I have always been frugal with my cash so I hate buying anything I don't absolutely need. Awhile back I bought myself a PSP, (after taking like 2 weeks debating over it to myself and researching). I'm not happy I got it anymore, I only have 2 games. I sometimes feel like I simply wasted my money and its to late for refunding. I'll probably end up ebaying it. I feel guilty for it cause I feel selfish, like I could have used that money for something more important, or saved it for future needs.

mads

I have always been frugal with my cash so I hate buying anything I don't absolutely need. Awhile back I bought myself a PSP, (after taking like 2 weeks debating over it to myself and researching). I'm not happy I got it anymore, I only have 2 games. I sometimes feel like I simply wasted my money and its to late for refunding. I'll probably end up ebaying it. I feel guilty for it cause I feel selfish, like I could have used that money for something more important, or saved it for future needs.

Dont feel selfish for buying things. That is not selfish at all. Remember it is your money:)

fitftw

I could have bought a brand new car if I saved for 8 months straight, but I can't help blowing cash on junkfood, videogames, beer, car parts etc....yes I have guilt, but I can't help it. I can't hold onto money for long.

IamThisOne

I know what you mean. I tend to think that I don't deserve to treat myself. I usually end up spending my money on bills, car parts, and other people.

Ignace

Well I'm superhappy and also feeling guilty of ordering a new headset.(Roccat Kave 5.1) I'm doubting if I really need it. :( It also doesn't feel that great since school is coming closer, yet 21 days and it's over and out.:mad:

Kinetik

I go through phases where I either save like crazy and hoard everything, or else I think "well my savings have gone to sh!t lately" so I end up spending all I have. I'm very much all-or-nothing.

U

userremoved

If it's my money I feel quite the opposite. As long as I don't have any obligations that money should be going to like bills and family I say why not? What does make me feel guilty is people buying things for me. But if anyone wants to buy me an HD TV I'll gladly take it. Just throwing that out there.:)

Rembrandt Broam

I used to, but I don't any more. Life's too short, and money is just worthless bits of paper until you actually exchange it for something.

Dreamer_Owl

I try to overcome it by forcing myself to buy things that i feel i don't deserve. I thought that this feeling should disappear after i find a job but it didn't, so it does not matter whose money I spend - my mom's or mine. So it is something irrational.