guilt after buying things for yourself?

cricket

does anyone else feel guilty/anxious after spending money on themselves?

i am feeling this way right now. i just bought some birthday gifts online for a couple of people, and i threw in some stuff i wanted too, and i am feeling guilty about buying things for myself ::(:

i try to justify it because it was all very inexpensive and on sale, and also because i bought things for other people but it isn't helping much!

i have a job and pay my own bills and everything, but most of the time i feel guilty buying stuff for myself that i don't necessarily need (clothes, shoes, games, electronics, etc.).

i almost feel like i should never spend money unless i absolutely have to, even though i know logically it is not a bad thing to treat myself to new things occasionally with my hard-earned money.

i didn't realize this post would be so long, i apologize ::p:

does anyone else experience this? :confused:

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

Don't apologize for the long post, it's fun to read more elaborate posts anyway :p
I feel this way. I go months without touching a dime, then I splurge online on herbal things and sorts and feel absoloutely horrible. It's gluttony, that horrible, destructive shameful irrational gluttonous feeling that turns my mind on itself. I end up buying a lot of stuff to escape the reality that I bought something I didn't need, does that make any sense? It's all a self worth game, and it's your money, you DO deserve anything you are able to have, you ARE worth being happy and treating yourself every once in awhile, don't let it get you down. It was nice of you to purcahse a gift for multiple people in the first place, to feel guilty about purchasing a little something for yourself is putting yourself below others and you don't deserve that. It's good to treat yourself with the same care you treat others, Don't feel bad! :)

Last edited:

Starlight87

I buy a lot for my nephew and niece because i think my sister loves me than alot.
Shes a woman who like presents for himself and his kids and then i buy and buy because she doesent show me that she loves me when i buy or not....its terrible!

Apple Strudel

Same here.

But only that I felt wasted. Like clothes or cosmetics. I mean, I hardly use them...since I don't go out often.

Ignace

I got it too, but with me it's because the money I spend is earned by my parents, since I don't have a job. I think it's because I let them down by not going out so I don't deserve any gifts. I also ask myself if it's really necessary, I keep asking it myself until the thing I wanted to buy is not for sale anymore. Missed chance.:mad: Aaah well, thinking of getting a subwoofer for my sound system here. Maybe a new phone wouldn't do any harm as well. Someone interested in a Samsung S5230 ?::eek::(Kidding, my friend is planning to buy it.::p:

Usually, yes I do feel guilty. But it's for the most part that I don't have a job and have to ask my mother for money. It's more shame mixed with guilt, then just guilt, for me. Not to mention most of the time there's a 4-6 month waiting period involved. :/

Though, if you buy those things with your own money, I don't think you should feel guilty at all. You worked for that money, and so that money is yours. And yours alone. :3

There's the reason why they reward jobs with money. It's because money is universally spendable. So you have a choice on how you want to reward yourself for your labor. Money itself is useless, only when you exchange it for something else it becomes worth the effort. That's really what you do when you buy something for yourself, you're rewarding yourself for a job well done. ;3

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

I always feel guilty when I buy stuff for myself, but that's because my moms income is the only income in the house & it's not much. I'm the one who's been in charge of the finances, since my mom had a bad stroke 9 years ago, but it's still not mine & I feel bad. I just bought myself a pair of shoes online maybe less than a month ago & felt really guilty about it, but I haven't had any in about a year & a half & needed new ones. If I had my own income, I know I wouldn't feel as guilty but I know I'd feel guilty because we still wouldn't have a lot of money. My mom doesn't care at all, but I still feel guilty when I buy myself anything. I even feel guilty when I buy myself something with Christmas or birthday money my dad sends because I feel like I should be saving it in case of an emergency or something.

Vecis

This also happens to myself since I feel guilt for spending money on some material things. I feel that I have a empty pockets and I need to get away from the shop as fast as possible.

Ignace

Usually, yes I do feel guilty. But it's for the most part that I don't have a job and have to ask my mother for money. It's more shame mixed with guilt, then just guilt, for me. Not to mention most of the time there's a 4-6 month waiting period involved. :/

Though, if you buy those things with your own money, I don't think you should feel guilty at all. You worked for that money, and so that money is yours. And yours alone. :3

There's the reason why they reward jobs with money. It's because money is universally spendable. So you have a choose on how you want to reward yourself for you labor. Money itself is useless, only when you exchange it for something else it becomes worth it. That's really what you do when you buy something for yourself, rewarding yourself for a job well done. ;3

I don't think anyone in the world can explain it better then blackpuma.;)
And because this reply is useless if I should press the 'Submit Reply' button, I'm gonna say myself that money excists for spending it. Not everything offcourse. Work to live, not live to work. Or something like that.:)

mrb

its your money , you earn it you deserve to buy yourself some treats from time to time , and it was nice of you to buy some stuff for your freinds , as far as (clothes, shoes, games, electronics, etc.). well dont we all buy them its good to buy yourself stuff , you need them , hell we all need them lolz :D it would be worse if you couldnt afford to buy them wouldnt it ;)

Ritta

I really do feel guilty when I buy things, because when I buy something it's probably something very expensive. I'm a geek. I love computer stuff and gadgets. The last few things I bought were 2 external 1Terabyte HDD. A new router and new wireless adapter. Also an HDMI media player. I suppose these are useful items. I'm using one of the HDD for backing up work stuff and the other for family photos, music and movies.

I'm tempted to buy a portable GPS system and a new laptop. But I'm gonna hold off on those. ::eek::

Ignace

I really do feel guilty when I buy things, because when I buy something it's probably something very expensive. I'm a geek. I love computer stuff and gadgets. The last few things I bought were 2 external 1Terabyte HDD. A new router and new wireless adapter. Also an HDMI media player. I suppose these are useful items. I'm using one of the HDD for backing up work stuff and the other for family photos, music and movies.

I'm tempted to buy a portable GPS system and a new laptop. But I'm gonna hold off on those. ::eek::

Be happy, I'm a nerd, it can go much worse then that. Saturday I had my new CPU-cooler from mail, but I'm pretty dissapointed in it.::(:
Anyone interested in a Scythe Kama Cross ?

coyote

I just bought one of these really cool shirts:

picture.php

I feel guilty buying more clothes that I don't need. Doing better than I was, though.

Ritta

Hey Coyote, are you gonna post a pic of you wearing that shirt? :D

Better not. I don't want to get you in trouble. Sorry my bad :p

Last edited:

coyote

Hey Coyote, are you gonna post a pic of you wearing that shirt? :D

Better not. I don't want to get you in trouble. Sorry my bad :p

Thanks, I don't wanna get whacked for displaying my man-boobs (exquisite as they may be).

recluse

Because i still live at home rent free i do feel guilty yes. I feel that because everyone else have to struggle with bills i have no right to treat myself.