going to concerts

jco3

I'm going to start going to concerts in the next coming months, and was curious if any of you attend concerts regularly/semi-regularly... Plus, when did you start going, what type of music do you enjoy seeing live most, how old are you, how old were you when you first started going to concerts, do you wish to go to concerts but feel incapable of doing so, if so, what's holding you back!? etc.

I know this seems out of the realm for SA, but I absolutely love music and am tired of missing out on live acts. This is just something I have to do for me, and it's also something I'm very excited about.

I'm 19, and just beginning my concert going adventures. It should be a really great time... There is one catch - one that WILL NOT hold me back, and it's this: I have no friends in the area, all of them have gone off to college in other states. So unfortunately I will be going alone - maybe this will change soon.

In a way, it really does feel liberating and fantastic that I'm finally trying to get out there and do things on my own. I'm very optimistic at this point.

LadyWench

Congrats on the new feelings of optimism. I think going to concerts (especially alone!) is exactly how you described it: liberating.

I went to my first real concert back in May of 2009. It was probably one of the most amazing and euphoric experiences of my life. I doubt I would be able to go to a concert alone, so I definitely applaud you on that. But it's still amazing, nonetheless. Despite how scared and nervous I was about attending, because of ALL the people, I was still able to lose myself within the music and just focus on how it shakes up my soul.

shore_of_glass

I only started going to concerts last year, at the age of 19 as well. My music tastes changed drastically since 3 years ago, so since then, I've only atended like 3 or 4 very small concerts from unkown bands, until last year.

Last year I went to a festival, bigger of course, there were bands from my country and then there was Lamb, Primal Scream and Kaiser Chiefs. I was with a couple of friends to whom I never shown my wild side before (never shown anyone for that matter) so I was a little afraid to do the jumpin and the singing, but I did it somehow :p it was great.

I wish I attended more concerts since then. I just found out I missed a The Rakes concert here in my city about 3 months ago, It felt so bad <.< and then I didn't buy the tickets to Arctic Monkeys (the first band to change my tastes) on time, and then it was sold out. Damn...

I'm probably gonna go to the biggest festival here in Portugal this summer, Rock In Rio. There's gonna be Muse and Radiohead and others, but its not very well defined yet. Since its a large festival, its expensive and its 3 days of concerts, I think I'm not attending all of them because there are some artists going that I don't like at all (Lady Gaga and other pop stuff, maybe there's gonna be a metal day, not sure).
Since I have to travel half my country to get there, I'm not sure how it's gonna be regarding expenses, I'm a little short on cash eeheh

Anyways, I hope I attend more concerts this summer and years to come. And I wish there were more indie and rock bands like The Foals and Yeah Yeah Yeahs to come to or originate in Portugal.

btw, congrats on the optimism, jco3, going alone sure shows a true love for music and concerts!

Last edited:

eski

If you really like to band your seeing, definitely go for it... you will really enjoy yourself even if you go alone.

I went to my first concerts in march last year by myself and yes it was very liberating once the band is up on stage and playing your favourite songs. Yes the wait beforehand may feel a little lonely at first but once the music starts you won't care so much anymore as you'll probably be dancing and jumping in excitement as I did :) Really some of the best fun I've had were at concerts even though I was alone.

Generical

I've been to a few...locally too i don't live in a particularly populated place so they're generally small but somehow the organisers managed to get jeru and de la soul down here so it can't be that bad. And when they perform your favourite songs, even if you are alone it's just overwhelmingly good. A lot of my favourite music is american (hip hop) and getting on for two decades old so it's not gonna happen often...then there's drum and bass and electronic stuff....seen bonobo which was insane, thinking about it he's doing another show soon :D!!! Would also F**KING love to see Amon Tobin. I most often go to drum and bass things though, just like if you were going to a club (but actually good music) with friends that haven't pissed off to uni, rarely know the artists though so it's not like a concert so much just....yeh like a club heh.

Mikey

Going to gigs is my favorite thing in the world to do. Once the band gets on stage it's like my social anxiety lifts right out of my body, and for an hour or two, I feel "normal". My mom and friends have noticed this as well. It's a great experience.

Concerts are awesome! With S.A. I can still go because everyone is there for the music and everybody is unitied because of the music, nobody is paying attention to you.
My first concert ever was Marilyn Manson and after that Ive seen very different acts, like The B-52s, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Brian Sezter Orchastra, Fiona Apple, Martina McBride, The Police, Kenny Chesney...as you can see an assortment of music...for me concerts are a way of letting go and just enjoying yourself.

shore_of_glass

Concerts are awesome! With S.A. I can still go because everyone is there for the music and everybody is unitied because of the music, nobody is paying attention to you.
My first concert ever was Marilyn Manson and after that Ive seen very different acts, like The B-52s, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Brian Sezter Orchastra, Fiona Apple, Martina McBride, The Police, Kenny Chesney...as you can see an assortment of music...for me concerts are a way of letting go and just enjoying yourself.

omg you saw fiona apple D: lucky bastard i wish she came here

Lonelykitsune

Im 16 and Thats one thing id love to try.Id love to go to the oxegen festival,the biggest in ireland,but ive never been.
I think it would be amazing,and im annoyed cos last year florence and the machine were their and i missed them.I have to go to one of her concerts :'(.I'd try and forgt about SA for it.

But i would b4e nervous about all the people and drunks and stuff.

rescued

I've been going to gigs for years, since I was much younger. I go to one about every few weeks, it's actually pretty much the only time I go out properly anymore. They can be a bit of a mixed bag for me, sometimes it's great and I can relax a bit knowing that no-one really has much interest in me, but sometimes it's the complete opposite. I really enjoy tiny, intimate shows but a lot of the time they put me on edge because they can be so cliquey, I end up feeling almost like I shouldn't be there.

Krista

I'm going to start going to concerts in the next coming months, and was curious if any of you attend concerts regularly/semi-regularly... Plus, when did you start going, what type of music do you enjoy seeing live most, how old are you, how old were you when you first started going to concerts, do you wish to go to concerts but feel incapable of doing so, if so, what's holding you back!? etc.

I know this seems out of the realm for SA, but I absolutely love music and am tired of missing out on live acts. This is just something I have to do for me, and it's also something I'm very excited about.

I'm 19, and just beginning my concert going adventures. It should be a really great time... There is one catch - one that WILL NOT hold me back, and it's this: I have no friends in the area, all of them have gone off to college in other states. So unfortunately I will be going alone - maybe this will change soon.

In a way, it really does feel liberating and fantastic that I'm finally trying to get out there and do things on my own. I'm very optimistic at this point.

No this is a great idea, to me at least. I'm a regular concert attendee and I can they're great. You're going because you love the music and no one ever pays much attention to you because they're all pretty much focused on enjoying themselves. It's great to meet new people at too.

I'm 19, going to concerts for quite some time now :rolleyes: I mostly listen to rock though, so what I go see ranges from Ozzy's Ozzfest to Korn. I think you'll really enjoy yourself.

Richey

yeh sometimes i have this issue of expressing a fun side in public, which is why i dont really like dancing in public, if you looked at me you'd be surprised by that because i dress like i live at indie rock concerts. i have this move where i jump and bop my head and i wave my arms about and its the coolest move i've ever tried so i'll do that but i'm mostly low key at gigs, happy to even sit down and watch the band and crowd in the distance. every so often you get people hinting at me to stand up and jump around but i don't really care, its just what i feel like doing at the time and i'm fine with that, i dont feel that i need to act a certain way to please others. if i like the song i'll become more eager to get up.

there was this video footage i remember seeing of Jonny Greenwood from radiohead at a rehearsal, and the band are playing a song but he is on the ground reading a book until its his turn to play the solo, and i just thought that was incredible to see something like that.

janes addiction are on tour, it may be the last chance i ever get to see them live considerring. i just want to hear perry farrels voice live, i imagine it to be an awsome experience. i've always dreamed of seeing them at a festival with perry;s soaring vocals on jane says.

i missed out on yeah yeah yeahs tickets and i'm guttered.

Last edited:

BlackKids

I love going to any kinda live music as it's just super fun and you generally have an excuse not to be too friendly lol.

I suppose from an anxiety point of view going to stadiums is easier. Lots of people and noone gives a crap about you, perfect :)

ou2saved2

I can see most of you are very young and I was almost 40 before I was able to go to a concert. I am so glad to hear that you can begin to plan a concert! awesome I think. I was social phobic by age 13 and quickly was broken, but one of the things I used to keep myself alive was the thought that one day I could go see a concert! and I did, and enjoyed every minute of it!
I am so happy to read your replies and can tell that this is a great way to overcome S.A. by the way, oddly, it is easier to be around 1,000 people than it is to be with one. reason is with the masses no one is really looking at you because there is so much going on.

There's nothing like that buzz and chatter in the arena before the concert begins, with random music playing as you just take in the scene.

Last edited: