Gluten free!!!

gazelle

Re: Gluten Free Diet

I'm also on a gluten free,milk free,egg free diet and it's made much difference in my mood and energy levels .Not all poeple have food intolerances maybe you should try eliminating milk,eggs ,gluten or whatever food that you suspect from your diet first and then add them one by one and see if it makes any difference,if so you're probably allergic to that food(that's how I figured my allergies).For me the symptoms of my allergies were fatigue and brain fogginess and having a sudden mood swing of feeling down the day after I ate the specific food.I'm also planing to do a blood test called Elisa IGg food allergy test to identify all the other possible allergies that I might have.

bigcat1967

I wish you guys best. I eat pretty healthy but need to do better. I eat lots of fish - brain food ya know. :)

Phoenixx

I have been on a dairy free, (almost) gluten free diet for about a year now and it's done me wonders. Even though I'm allergic to dairy, I'm not allergic to gluten, just wheat. I choose to go on a mostly gluten free diet because finding stuff without wheat in it is basically impossible. It's pretty difficult finding stuff to eat at first. You start to think you're never going to eat again, but alas, you do find stuff eventually. :)

Going gluten free and dairy free can be expensive, just to warn you. At least it is for me. But then again, you can probably tolerate the cheap gluten free options, like rice and corn. Unfortunately I am also allergic to both, so my diet is pretty pricey, and annoying. Since you're living at home, are you planning on cooking gluten free at all? Or trying to bake gluten free? It's an interesting process on its own, but baking is a challenge!

For gluten free baking, here's a nice thesaurus about gf flours and such. >> Cook's Thesaurus: Non-Wheat Flours
Want some recipes and baking tips? These sites are pretty good and definitely informative. >> Gluten-Free Recipes | GFG Living Without - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Other Food Allergies

When doing this diet, always be sure to read the labels for hidden gluten and dairy products. Yes, it does get annoying reading label after label, but in the long run it's good, especially if these things are doing more harm to your body. The labels normally tell you at the bottom in bold what the allergens are, but even if there isn't any bold doesn't always mean it's free of gluten. Here's a good site that lists names for hidden gluten >> Wheat Allergy | How to Read a Label for Hidden Wheat Yes, I know it says hidden wheat, but the same concept still applies for all glutens.

I apologize for the super long post and spamming the page with links, but I hope it helps.

Mokkat

I recommend that you go to a professional to do or plan this kind of testing, to lower the possibility of placeboing yourself and to get a more factual test. From a price/effort vs actual health benefit it is a pretty dumb move to avoid whole grain wheat products and dairy products for the majority of people in Europe.
Whole grain wheat is great for your digestive system with its fibres, and the B vitamins and vitamins like phosperous are great. Dairy products are great for your digestion (yogurts, other sour stuff, especially with proactive cultures) and dairy products in general are great for the calcium, animalous proteins and various vitamins

edit: if you must do it yourself, I suggest finding a healthy diet without gluten/ dairy and keeping it for 1-2 months and then going 1 month with the same diet and some gluten / dairy to see if you feel a difference

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

So happy to hear other people are feeling better on the diet also :)
And I think it's a great thing to look into. Great perspective to explore IMO.
You probably know my experience with gluten/dairy/soy (soy is just as bad as gluten for me... Might want to rid that one too becuase it's really common also :/), it had a massive effect on me that I had no idea about before removing it. Some things that I got rid of just by removing food: Severity of depression, urge to self harm and suicidal thoughts, chronic fatigue, physical anxiety and paranoia, panic attacks, compulsions / obsessive behaviours, visual distortions and mild psychotic-like-hallucinations, "ADD" and alexithymia (inability to process or realize emotions). Main symptom for me was I felt like I was living in my head and couldn't get out. When I took away all food intolerances I felt like I slowly, over the course of months, came out of a coma. Craziness

I really believe it can help anybody to remove these things...

celiac.com
Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Forum
I realize you might not exactly be a celiac (celiac is just a certain type of a more severe gluten intolerance that causes malabsorption) but it has TONS of information on gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity, other food intolerances to suspect later.. everything you need to know is in the forums! There is so much information that it is quite an eye opener, some people's experiences. If you post a thread about needing to eat cheaply on this elimination diet they will give you lots of possibilities. Lovely site and loooveely people there! Equally as accepting as here if not more lol... anyways.s.

Rice! It's pretty cheap, it's hardy, it's a great replacement if you're a simple-eat-person.
Frozen vegetables, canned beans (that are solely beans and no sauces or anything)... I'm sure the celiac.com people will have better suggestions than I do because I eat mainly expensive whole foods and don't know much about budgeting , ho hum

Ideally, to be completely gluten free it's best to not eat anything packaged that does not say "gluten free" on the front. I think the only way to fully avoid small accidental contact is through eating mainly whole foods. The gluten free diet will only show dramatic results if you exclude all sources of gluten, not even small amounts. Sometimes things like "caramel colour" or "spices" in things such as Ketchup, canned things, packaged frozen things etc will contain gluten.

It's also important, for this reason, to check that your shampoo does not have gluten derived ingredients in it. If it gets into your mouth or nose, eyes, skin.. Most likely, it will still have a minor effect. But I wouldn't worry about that so much as long as you focus on eating gluten free.. And then check shampoo, toothpaste, deoderants, lotions, etc IF you don't see much result to be sure.

Lastly, it is important to be gluten free for at least a month. This is because if you are pretty severely intolerant and never knew it, you could have withdrawal symptoms and you might actually feel worse at first. This didn't happen with me, but it's pretty common. If you DO feel worse, it means that you probably are gluten/dairy intolerant and it will fade within a matter of weeks.

Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)

Yes, that's a long food list! A lot of things are quite unfamiliar though

Hmm hmm what else what else.

Could Depression/anxiety Issues Be Due To Gluten? - Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Forum (Home)

Yep. Keep us updated if it does anything for ya ! Best wishes..

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

Feeling like I might have spat out a lot of information (too much?)
Blame the caffeine !
Firewalk is a right fine speaker.

Edit: This is very interesting, found today
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18365905
70% of celiac patients (extreme gluten intolerance) have social phobia versus 16% of general population

Last edited:

Felgen

Cutting the gluten from my diet (basically, I just stopped eating bread) eased my Asoerger's syndrome a bit. I no longer stim or experience sensory overloads that much. I still eat cassein though; I do not believe that removing it from my diet will do anything.

Remus

Staff member
I'm qualified in nutrition.

I'm in the understanding that the opening poster and the others who HAVE to follow a gluten free diet have had medical and diet advice from professionals.

Please please please don't anyone else follow crazy extreme diets without professional advice. You can do yourself extreme damage. Gluten, unless you have an allergy or intolerance in not a bad thing, it is a natural part of most grains which should make up part of a balanced diet.

Please see a doctor or dietician and get professional advice before cutting out gluten.

Wise words and also forum policy (unqualified diagnosis and treatment)

Lets be careful how we recommend diets to people who may not need them.

JosephG

hello there. I thank you all for your very detailed posts and you have aided my greatly in my learning about this.
I am not sure whether gluten affects me but I think it's a possibility that a lot of people suffering these problems should look in to. I mean everything in your body is made from the things you eat so what's to say the things that you eat aren't affecting the way in which your bodys works?
I only raised this as a possibility for me because I always feel sick/not right after eating breakfast and for breakfast I eat a high gluten/dairy meal. I realised that when I eat nothing/ eat only fruit for breakfast I feel much more alert and normal throughout the day. So I would like to try the diet and maybe a few allergy tests to see if I am affected by this.

Also looking at that study the sample size is way too small to take anything significant from it but it looks extremely interesting. I think that scientists should look more into the way in which amino acids are absorbed/formed in the body and their links to mental illness.

thanks again, I would write more but I am finding it hard to post at the moment due to low energy.
x

Phoenixx

Okay, so I've recently made some awesome gluten free bread. Someone on the forum already asked to have it posted, so I'll post it here in case anyone else who is gluten free is looking for a nice bread recipe.

Gluten-free Bread

3/4 c. carbonated water (Don't try to substitute this with regular water because I don't think it will work)
2 tbsp. milk or non-dairy milk (I actually used unsweetened almond milk)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. yeast
2 eggs
1 c. sorghum flour
1 c. garbanzo bean flour
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1/2 c. arrowroot starch
3 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. white vinegar or lemon juice

Whisk together dry ingredients (except yeast) in a separate bowl, set aside. Combine wet ingredients, except carbonated water, and mix in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment on low-medium speed. Add in dry ingredients, adding the yeast last, and mix on medium speed. Slowly add carbonated water. Once all the ingredients are in, mix batter on high for 3 mins.

Using a wet spatula, put batter in a greased 8 x 4 loaf pan. Smooth the top and place in a warmed oven (At 200°F) to rise for 40 - 50 mins., covered with plastic wrap. Be sure to leave the oven door opened a little.

Once it's rose, remove plastic and bake at 325°F for 45 - 50 mins.* Remove and let cool. Enjoy!

*I'm still somewhat playing with the baking time. When I made it today, I ended up taking it out a little too early, so it was still under baked. I believe I had only baked it 35 - 40 mins., so I increased the time on this recipe. I'll be sure to post a picture sometime, don't worry.

JosephG

Oo I bet that tastes awesome Phoenixx :) When I get more energy (and money XD) I will have to try it. Although I'm not much of a cook :( I can do a mean English breakfast though!

Phoenixx

Oo I bet that tastes awesome Phoenixx :) When I get more energy (and money XD) I will have to try it. Although I'm not much of a cook :( I can do a mean English breakfast though!
^ Yeah, mine did taste pretty awesome, even though it was a little under baked. Oh well, I'll just have to pop it in the toaster. No biggie. ;) And a mean English breakfast you say? I'm in!

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole

Okay, so I've recently made some awesome gluten free bread. Someone on the forum already asked to have it posted, so I'll post it here in case anyone else who is gluten free is looking for a nice bread recipe.

Wow you have no idea since how long I have been looking for a bread recipe using sorghum flour and tapioca flour. Thanks!! Can't wait to try it :D

gazelle

Thank you for posting this recipe Phoenixx! :) I've just copy pasted it and will try it also as soon as I find the needed flour.And I like the idea of using almond milk instead of milk,I'm also on a dairy free diet and almonds are a good source of calcium.

Phoenixx

Thank you for posting this recipe Phoenixx! :) I've just copy pasted it and will try it also as soon as I find the needed flour.And I like the idea of using almond milk instead of milk,I'm also on a dairy free diet and almonds are a good source of calcium.
^ Yeah, I'm dairy free too and I love almond milk. One of my favorites. I was originally going to use full-fat coconut milk, but I didn't have any.