Gluten free!!!

mummylala

Just started my new Gluten free diet that i now have to stick to.. Is there anyone else here that is on one, I think im gonna struggle, the list of foods that i cant eat is endless..

It sucks :(

ok lala now I am just pure stalking you :eek:

alfie has to have a gluten free diet

its so feckin hard isnt it ?

any questions ...alfie is an expert !!!!

x000x

Well I'm not on this particular diet, but I'm on a vegan diet (and lifestyles). It could be harder for you to deal with the new diet because it's not directly linked with certain values you have. So maybe you could find out how keeping a gluten free diet is helpful to yourself and maybe how it can help promote others to become gluten free. Maybe that would help you want to stick with the diet more. Sorry for the rambling.

GreenEyedRedHead

I also have gluten intolerance. You'll be amazed how much better you feel when you cut out gluten. Here's my peanut butter cookie recipe:

Mix 1 cup natural peanut butter, 1 egg, and 1 cup sugar together. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Use a fork dipped in sugar to flatten them in a criss-cross pattern. Bake at 350 for about 9 minutes until golden brown.

You'll be surprised at how much these are just like regular cookies. I use 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar, but do what you like. It's nice to be able to have a good cookie when most baked goods have gluten and you're deprived. By the way, unlike other cookies, I don't like to eat these while they're warm. The flavor isn't as good until they're completely cooled. Good Luck!

Feathers

Another gluten-free thread, bumped up! :)

Apparently not sugar-free and cookie-free though! :) Yikes!

It would be interesting to know if one is just sensitive/allergic to gluten or to sugar too.. hmm!
(Though I suspect sugar is a no go or 'stay away from as much as possible' right now for me too..)

Gerdje

Hear many rumours that gluten does have a very high impact on anxiety, it's in most of our todays food, the way it was processed, in the countless "additions", but finding gluten free is extremely difficult and extremely expensive.

Here in belgium, I found gluten free spaghetti, while a pack of the "normal" spaghetti would cost me 0.60€ , the same amount of gluten free spaghetti costs 16€

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hear many rumours that gluten does have a very high impact on anxiety, it's in most of our todays food, the way it was processed, in the countless "additions", but finding gluten free is extremely difficult and extremely expensive.

Here in belgium, I found gluten free spaghetti, while a pack of the "normal" spaghetti would cost me 0.60€ , the same amount of gluten free spaghetti costs 16€

You have to go to specialized grocery - once you found your places, it's way easier. It is more expensive but if I have to invest in something it would definitely be my physical and mental health. Way more valuable than material.

miss_amy

I'm qualified in nutrition.

I'm in the understanding that the opening poster and the others who HAVE to follow a gluten free diet have had medical and diet advice from professionals.

Please please please don't anyone else follow crazy extreme diets without professional advice. You can do yourself extreme damage. Gluten, unless you have an allergy or intolerance in not a bad thing, it is a natural part of most grains which should make up part of a balanced diet.

Please see a doctor or dietician and get professional advice before cutting out gluten.

Pacific_Loner

I'm qualified in nutrition.

I'm in the understanding that the opening poster and the others who HAVE to follow a gluten free diet have had medical and diet advice from professionals.

Please please please don't anyone else follow crazy extreme diets without professional advice. You can do yourself extreme damage. Gluten, unless you have an allergy or intolerance in not a bad thing, it is a natural part of most grains which should make up part of a balanced diet.

Please see a doctor or dietician and get professional advice before cutting out gluten.

Hmmm... I think I disagree with you, I stopped gluten, dairies, eggs and soya without professional advice and all it has done is forcing me into more natural food and organic cereals like flax, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat and (non-organic) rice and corn. And more fruits and vegetables. Unless if you replace wheat by "nothing" and just starve, what you will eat after cutting gluten cannot be worst than what we normally eat (in fact there is good chances that it will be better for your health). Wheat is just one cereal amongs others, there is nothing so alarmous about cutting it.

Pacific_Loner

And your qualifications are???

Why would I need a diploma to know what I need to put in my body for it to be able to function, it's like, basic survival skills
Anyway I hope I'm not starting a fight, that's just my opinion based on experience

Phoenixx

Thanks for digging up this gluten free thread, Feathers! :)

Going gluten free is tough, especially if you're allergic to a couple other gluten free grains like I am (I'm allergic to corn and rice, which are found in most gluten free things). Now, I'm not exactly gluten free, but I'm allergic to wheat. A lot of grains that contain gluten are related to wheat, so the only "gluten-ed" grains I eat are oats (I'm extremely careful with these, since sometimes they contain traces of wheat), rye, and kamut. Wheat is found in pretty much every commercial, prepackaged item imaginable. So instead of searching continuously for something that doesn't contain wheat, I just choose to go gluten free, since it's easier for me. If I can't buy something gluten free, I just make it myself. Gluten free cooking isn't so bad, but baking is pretty challenging... And sometimes aggravating, but you get to teach yourself something new right? ;) And once you start to get the hang of it, it gets so much easier.

Its funny, I was just reading an article today about people who have breathing problems and its like they can't get a breath deep enough, its sometimes a gluten allergy that causes that.

Feathers

PhillyGrl, interesting. Didn't know that!

Amy, I agree that finding a dietician/nutritionist/expert advice is great and probably the best way to go. If you can find someone knowledgeable enough locally, and have funds/options to afford it etc.
It is ideal to get tested for sensitivity/allergy or Celiac before you go gluten-free. Because you need to be eating gluten for a while to test properly.

I understand people who just experiment and cut it out too.. I've done it myself, since waiting lists for proper tests here in my country are so long and some tests aren't reliable, some don't seem to be so awesome either.. in the end, the final test is how you feel afterwards, no?

At worst, going gluten-free for a while could trigger a stronger sensitivity/allergy or such if you ever wanted to return to it, right? I read online that even if properly tested for celiac, one may re-test after 2 years or so to see if one still needs to stay on the gluten-free diet, if one would wish to return to 'normal' diet. (If I remember it right.)

Also, the difference between sensitivity and allergy and celiac can be important when it comes to 'small amounts' of gluten. Small or 'trace' amounts may not be so important for someone with 'just' sensitivity/allergy like for someone with full-blown celiac. So if you want to 'cheat' occasionally, the differences may be important!

I think that stopping milk/dairy products is actually more potentially problematic, because of calcium. You need to substitute with other sources of calcium. And/or work on reducing need for it. (Relaxation, stress-reduction...) And work on other measures for bone health.

Soy can be replaced with beans/chick peas etc (or homegrown organic soy, in some cases).
Eggs - if you're a vegetarian or vegan you need to know what you're doing even more than with 'mainstream' diet.. B12 deficiencies or such could occur otherwise..

If you eat lots of meat and don't eat diary, it can be a bit problematic for bone health too.. So, there are quite some factors to consider, and ideally one would be informed about the choices and options..
Yeah, support of experts would be GREAT! :)

Feathers

^ Oh really?? Great to know. Mind if I ask how it's so problematic?

Hmm, well I read that buddhist nuns (I think) had ok bone density on vegan diet, if I remember it right. And some women had bone density problems on some special diets.. So I kinda connected the dots.. Personally, I had some bone density problems that were discovered after reading about these things and going gluten-free and milk-free, I'm not sure if it's related or not.. (I was online/on computer a lot too, and not outside as much as would be ideal!)

There is some info online that suggests a connection, one site that briefly mentions the high-protein diet possibly being problematic: Dairy And Osteoporosis | LIVESTRONG.COM (at the end of the article, not sure how accurate the article is, there is a lot of conflicting info online and in books even, when it comes to nutrition)

According to this site it's not really straight-forward, so maybe some more research would be needed: Acid Diet (High-Meat Protein) Effects on Calcium Metabolism and Bone Health - Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald (I just quickly googled it up, not sure how accurate it is) It says it's important what else you eat, which I agree with. Bone density does not depend just on calcium, other vitamins & minerals & lifestyle are important too.

I think that one theory was perhaps also because of calcium that is needed for meat-processing, something like that... Or at least that is the way I thought about it. Kinda like when you eat protein/meat, you need more water for metabolism than when you eat vegetables or fruits. In the Middle/Northern Europe countries, meat-dairy is 'traditional' nutrition too, though our ancestors ate much less of both (cause they couldn't afford it). Some nutrition theories say to look at the way your ancestors ate.. I find some truth in it.. (in personal experience)

Hey, I'm really sleepy (it's late here) and won't be online for a few days, I'll try to find any other links next week and post them... or you can do some researching too.. sometimes, one has to be a bit of a 'detective' with these things.. Maybe this is better for a 'dairy free' thread though! :) I'm sure there's one around? (Or we need one? :))

Phoenixx

Hmm, well I read that buddhist nuns (I think) had ok bone density on vegan diet, if I remember it right. And some women had bone density problems on some special diets.. So I kinda connected the dots.. Personally, I had some bone density problems that were discovered after reading about these things and going gluten-free and milk-free, I'm not sure if it's related or not.. (I was online/on computer a lot too, and not outside as much as would be ideal!)

There is some info online that suggests a connection, one site that briefly mentions the high-protein diet possibly being problematic: Dairy And Osteoporosis | LIVESTRONG.COM (at the end of the article, not sure how accurate the article is, there is a lot of conflicting info online and in books even, when it comes to nutrition)

According to this site it's not really straight-forward, so maybe some more research would be needed: Acid Diet (High-Meat Protein) Effects on Calcium Metabolism and Bone Health - Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald (I just quickly googled it up, not sure how accurate it is) It says it's important what else you eat, which I agree with. Bone density does not depend just on calcium, other vitamins & minerals & lifestyle are important too.

I think that one theory was perhaps also because of calcium that is needed for meat-processing, something like that... Or at least that is the way I thought about it. Kinda like when you eat protein/meat, you need more water for metabolism than when you eat vegetables or fruits. In the Middle/Northern Europe countries, meat-dairy is 'traditional' nutrition too, though our ancestors ate much less of both (cause they couldn't afford it). Some nutrition theories say to look at the way your ancestors ate.. I find some truth in it.. (in personal experience)

Hey, I'm really sleepy (it's late here) and won't be online for a few days, I'll try to find any other links next week and post them... or you can do some researching too.. sometimes, one has to be a bit of a 'detective' with these things.. Maybe this is better for a 'dairy free' thread though! :) I'm sure there's one around? (Or we need one? :))
^ Oh I see. I think I understand. So in order to get the full nutrition from meat, you have to have dairy with it because of the calcium? I'm usually a bit of a detective whenever it comes to nutrition and food. Like, just tonight I was researching the difference between canola oil and rapeseed oil. (Here's the article if you're interested What is the Canola Oil Extraction Process? | eHow.com)

JosephG

Gluten Free Diet

I am extremely interested in what I've read on this forum and on the internet about food intolerances and their effect on a person's mental well-being. I would now like to try a gluten and dairy free diet to see if those foods aren't doing me any good. But I do not have a clue how to go about it - I mean isn't gluten in like everything? I am pretty sure it is in 90 percent of the things I eat and modifying my diet seems like it would be too expensive/inconvenient. But I really want to try this.
How does one suggest I go about this? I am a student, low on cash and living at home. Has anybody got any sites or tips and ideas about recommended diets? I simply haven no clue about what to eat. I do remember a member of this forum endorsing this diet so I hope they can come to my aid here :)
Thanks for reading this
x

Pacific_Loner

Re: Gluten Free Diet

Hi Joseph, I'm on gluten-free/dairy-free diet since more than 1 year, basically I buy food in organic groceries and in gluten-free sections, and you really have to check the ingredients of everything you buy, and yes it's more expensive, but it's worth it. I'm kind of in a hurry right now but I'll come back to you later for a more elaborated answer (like ideas of what to eat).