Getting your hair cut

How do you get your hair cut?
I go to a barber and I have to say, I hate sitting in that chair..lol. People walking past gawking at you, the barber/hairdresser trying to make small talk.. My anxiety does get worse in that situation. I used to do my own buzz cut but for the past couple of years I need someone to do it for me because of a different style I have.

How about you?

Miserum

I just deal with it and make small talk.

I used to get tinglies all over my body when the barber put the buzzer to my neck when I was a kid. The forced social interaction nowadays just totally ruins it, even if we're not talking.

LoyalXenite

I used to get my hair cut by friends or my ex or various people I knew who could do a decent hack job :LOL:

Now its been a couple years since I went and I really need it cut again but havent managed to drag myself in to a proper hairdresser coz I hate the forced interaction and being touched by strangers :LOL:

I haven't been in around 5 or 6 years I think. When I did go I usually I didn't make small talk, I'd just sit and not say much, the barbers I went to never seemed to force conversation onto me. What I did hate was telling them what I wanted for a haircut. Early on I solved this by just getting it buzzed every time - it was quick and painless to say, and by getting it cut short it meant I could let it grow for a year without going back. One time I went and they didn't know what a buzz cut was though, boy did I feel awkward. I think that was like, 5 or 6 years ago?

Miserum

Now its been a couple years since I went and I really need it cut again but havent managed to drag myself in to a proper hairdresser coz I hate the forced interaction and being touched by strangers :LOL:
The upside of getting your hair cut (assuming you have long hair cause I know you're a LADY) is that you only have to do it once in a blue moon. :)

LoyalXenite

The upside of getting your hair cut (assuming you have long hair cause I know you're a LADY) is that you only have to do it once in a blue moon. :)
Good point, add to that that my hair is both very fine and sparse and slow growing and the only reason I really ever get it cut is split ends making it annoying when I brush it or making me look more and more deranged :LOL:

IKR. I get mine cut every two weeks. (n)
I got mine cut two years ago or so, and only because I had a cheap voucher for the uni hairdresser. Before that I dont even remember my last haircut :LOL:

Phoenixx

For me, the anxiety of getting my hair cut comes from whether or not the person can actually cut my hair without making my hair look like a frizzy pyramid. :rolleyes::LOL: I have fine, curly hair. So many hairdressers have not a single clue how to properly cut curly hair.

I haven't gone to get my hair cut in 7 months. The last person to do it gave me the dreaded blunt cut after I asked twice for a long layered cut and showed pictures. Ugh.... Sounds vain I know, but I'm a self conscious person as far as appearance goes.

For me, the anxiety of getting my hair cut comes from whether or not the person can actually cut my hair without making my hair look like a frizzy pyramid. :rolleyes::LOL: I have fine, curly hair. So many hairdressers have not a single clue how to properly cut curly hair.

I haven't gone to get my hair cut in 7 months. The last person to do it gave me the dreaded blunt cut after I asked twice for a long layered cut and showed pictures. Ugh.... Sounds vain I know, but I'm a self conscious person as far as appearance goes.
I totally understand about feeling a biit vain with our hair. I think most people would be upset if the hairdresser doesnt listen or has no clue and stuff's it up.

FriendlyShadow

The only thing I like about going to the hair salon is getting my hair washed. It feels nice at least for a few minutes.

Some of the women who cut my hair end up cutting way too much than I wanted. In fact. I make it specifically clear how much hair I want taken off, the exact length I want, but for some reason they keep cutting it way too short. My hair doesn't grow fast.

Kiwong

I really hate the mirrors, I don't like seeing myself, or the barber. One of the barbers is a red neck, they made fun of me when my anxiety was worse. Lost my business.

Worst part is when they get the razor out. I fear my head will shake and they will cut me. Other thing is handing cash over and taking change.

Thankfully, and when I was a kid, the barber would always be busy chatting with his colleagues as to not engage in any conversation since it had always been the same barber knowing what sort of haircut I fancied. I'd hardly be spoken to about anything other than my haircut or some skin condition I had on my head.

Still as a kid, I remember my father always drawing closer to the barber to ensure he switched the razor blades before using it on my neck; that was rather embarrassing to me.

Then came university, I bought some hair clipper; I would just let my hair grow for 3 months then shave it all off for a year, so I had to jog my classmates' memory about who I was, once in a while.

In the past 7 years, I've just gone 3 times to the barber's, the first time was a success, then after 2 failed attempts, I decided to go back to my old money-saving business...because the guy would end up cutting it too short to my taste anyway /:

That's a good piece of advice Phoenixx is giving, just show a picture of yourself to the barber with the desired hairstyle — a photo is better than words.

I guess it's acceptable to be on your phone or read something when you're having your hair cut, to avoid conversation, but I've never tried it myself.

Sacrament

I remember back when my anxiety got really bad and I couldn't even get out of the house (when I was about 18). I wouldn't even look in mirrors and I would avoid any reflections as much as I possibly could. One day I tried going to the barbers to get a haircut, and I remember the day being really gloomy and I was anxious as hell hoping there were no other customers, but there were. I went in and got my haircut but I had a really bad anxiety crisis during the whole thing, and my face got really red and the other customers were staring, and I remember when I left it was raining tremendously and I just walked home soaking wet and wrote the angriest poem I've ever written. Not good.

Nowadays I still get anxious getting a haircut, but I try to focus on the positive aspects (looking better, the back of my neck getting all tingly when they shave those last few hairs before you leave, etc).

SoScared

Just had a trim. I think that she got it right this time. Normally she undercuts it but this time following my frequent requests to leave it a bit shorter she has.