Gathering in Sydney

jamez

Hi, guys.

I was reading through this thread. Seems it didn't come off. I wouldn't mind coming to one of these. Just need someone to organize it. I'd be happy to, but I will be a bit busy with work and TAFE in the next week or 2.

duma

Hi

Is anyone interested in a meetup? I am on the northern beaches. I'm 22yo & currently attending Univeristy. :)

Videotape

YES i'm interested in a meet-up!!!!!! anyone want to meet in the city tomorrow? i'll be there. ok cool see you there.

Videotape

but seriously. message me if you want to meet somewhere. i'm not in the mood to wait for a month+ only for no gathering to happen.

Lexine

Hi everyone,
I am a clinical psychologist and researcher at Macquarie University. I think it's great that so many of you are posting on this forum and supporting each other.
Within the Centre for Emotional Health at Macquarie University (Sydney) we have a research clinic where we are trying to learn more about social anxiety, and how best to help people who experience it. Many of you have spoken openly (and bravely!) about the loneliness you experience, and the sense that life is passing you by. One of the goals of our clinic is to develop treatment programs to help people develop practical skills and strategies to cope with their anxiety, so they are able to get out and do the things they want to do with their life. We offer group treatments, which our clients find really beneficial as they have the opportunity to meet other people with similar concerns, and practice the skills with each other while they are learning them.
Our treatments are based on cognitive behavioural therapy, and so far our results have been very promising! Our research shows us that after treatment, people experience less symptoms of social anxiety (e.g. panicky feelings, shaking, blushing, sweating, mind blanks, dwelling on negative thoughts), and have been able to make significant improvements to their quality of life (things like finding a new job, getting back to study, or joining a sporting or social group). Our clients often report feeling more self confident and happier in their own skin.
I think it is really important that people are aware that there are steps you can take to get help for social anxiety. As some of you have already commented, being proactive is important! It takes a lot of courage to take that first step, but from what I have seen from my clients, it is definitely worth it. Our treatment programs are supported by our research funding, so we are able to offer them at very low cost to you (and some programs are free).
If you want to find out more about our programs, you can visit our website: http://www.psy.mq.edu.au/CEH/muaru.html
Phone us on 9850 8711, or email me at [email protected]
Wishing you all the best!
-Lexine

tommydog

Next time I plan a trip to Sydney id like to be part of a meet up too :)

Certainly not July 18 though.

QVB's a good spot for me I often go to the JEt cafe

Anyway just putting my hand up for another time ..

evie

This sounds like a great idea, and even though I'd probably be really nervous, I'd love to come along if a meeting is organised.

B

bradj29

Hey there,

My names Brad and am interested in joining the group meetings in Sydney.

Also am interested in meeting with just another person if the group meetings are hard to organise. It's fundamental to healing being able to talk to others with similar feelings.

If anyone wants to meet up my email is ****

Brad.

bradj29

Hi guys,

I'd like to join the group if you are meeting again soon.

Also happy to meet with just another person or two if its easier. Its good to be able to talk to others that feel the same way.

If anyone wants to meet up my email is [email protected]

Cheers,

Brad.

bradj29

Hey guys,

Just checking in, seeing if ANYONE out there wants to meet up and chat about things.

I'm eager to get a small group started so drop me an email or call!

Cheers, Brad

[email protected]
0449 908 996

PennyLane

im in sid knee too :)

I would def come but i'm leaving next month...because my degree is finished. I just read the thread...hope the meet up works this time :)