Gamers thread

Finally made it to the Mun in KSP.

(Behind them is the 3rd stage of the rocket, not their lander. They made it back fine.)
3n7wEpb.jpg

Last edited:

Argentum

Still working through Divinity: Original Sin. The game with such an astonishing story, they could only afford to hire a 6-year-old for the actual controls.

squidgee

Replaying Dragon Age series, and then finally playing Inquistion when I'm done. Excited to see how it turns out. Critics have been happy with it, though user reviews have been mixed. :/

Ithior

I've been playing The Sims 4, though I had never got into the previous titles. Life as a Sim is so easy.

surewhynot

Replaying Dragon Age series, and then finally playing Inquistion when I'm done. Excited to see how it turns out. Critics have been happy with it, though user reviews have been mixed. :/

From what I understand, DA:I is a great game but it's more similar to Skyrim than to DA:O, which is a shame because that game was a masterpiece. The tactical screen is basically useless, it plays more akin to an action rpg than a tactical rpg. So it really depends on what you're looking for.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
From what I understand, DA:I is a great game but it's more similar to Skyrim than to DA:O, which is a shame because that game was a masterpiece. The tactical screen is basically useless, it plays more akin to an action rpg than a tactical rpg. So it really depends on what you're looking for.

I hate to hear that.

I don't play many games these days, but Origins was fantastic. I skipped the sequel based on the reviews, but had hoped for a return to form with this installment.

DepravedFurball

Just picked up Inquisition on the way home from my night shift, and I'm aboot to fire it up.

Of all the reviews I read (perhaps a dozen), I found that only one thing mattered: on average, it took 75 hours to clear the game the first time, due to side-questing and exploration.

Plus, considering that there's the obvious three classes, and multiple ways that you can build up your power-base... I'd hazard a guess that I'm in for about 400-500 hours of play.

:thumbup:

Sounds like 'Origins', really. I played the hell out of that one. Made a character from every race and creed, just to see how it would affect the arcing storyline.

I'm still concerned that they kept the 'action-oriented' fighting of DA2, since that's mostly just tapping the X-button constantly... but if they got away from the linear story and re-used levels from DA2, then I can forgive it easily.

JuiceB

I'm still concerned that they kept the 'action-oriented' fighting of DA2, since that's mostly just tapping the X-button constantly... but if they got away from the linear story and re-used levels from DA2, then I can forgive it easily.

The world is much bigger than the previous games, comparable to Skyrim in fact. I think the fighting mechanic here is more of a combo between Origins and DA2. I've been playing it on and off since Tuesday and there's alot of content to keep me going so far.

squidgee

Just picked up Inquisition on the way home from my night shift, and I'm aboot to fire it up.

Of all the reviews I read (perhaps a dozen), I found that only one thing mattered: on average, it took 75 hours to clear the game the first time, due to side-questing and exploration.

Plus, considering that there's the obvious three classes, and multiple ways that you can build up your power-base... I'd hazard a guess that I'm in for about 400-500 hours of play.

:thumbup:

Sounds like 'Origins', really. I played the hell out of that one. Made a character from every race and creed, just to see how it would affect the arcing storyline.

Personally, I actually liked the faster paced combat in DA2 more than in Origins, so I don't think that will be much of a problem in Inquisition for me. The thing I'm most concerned about though is if those many extra hours of content in DA:I are actually quests with full fledged stories and secondary characters, and not just cookie cutter fetch/collectible quests. After all, quality>quantity.

DepravedFurball

Personally, I actually liked the faster paced combat in DA2 more than in Origins, so I don't think that will be much of a problem in Inquisition for me. The thing I'm most concerned about though is if those many extra hours of content in DA:I are actually quests with full fledged stories and secondary characters, and not just cookie cutter fetch/collectible quests. After all, quality>quantity.

Well, 20 hours in, and I can tell you.... this game is friggin' huge.

I don't even have all the playable characters yet. I think I'm still lacking the last mage.... oh, and a Qunari warrior. So two of them. >.<

My fears about the combat were laid to rest a little, though. Instead of constantly tapping the 'X'-button, now you just have to hold down 'R2', which is actually rather nice.

Unfortunately, they've stuck with limited skill-trees, with a lot of spells/abilities carrying over directly from DA2. I would have loved to see a lot more options with spells and the like, since after 20 hours and 3 re-skillings, I've already found the 'perfect' set of spells and abilities for my Qunari mage. Which is a shame, 'cause now the rest of my time in my first playthrough will just become tedious.

I'm liking the 'war council'-thing... standing over a table with various little side-quests, sending your agents out to do your bidding... makes me feel like an evil mastermind. Which... I am. XD

EDIT- Ah, there are some standard fetch-quests... though with a twist, such as solving a puzzle in order to find them on the map, or looking through a magical spy-glass to find where they are in the distance. Also, the characters themselves brings quests in to flesh out their own stories, so it looks rather promising.

I was forced to snag the day-1 patch for the PS3, though, since there were a few bugs screwing me up constantly. After that, though, no crashes of convo hang-ups, so it's back to being awesome.

Really... 8/10 so far. The lore, characters, backgrounds, combat, and size of the world are astounding. The only thing that holds it back are the lack of fresh skills.

I'm playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 a lot lately an just bought my first truck. I called it ''PUSSMANG.''

I laughed for a good fifteen minutes.

Argentum

Bought a couple small things on sale:

Nihilumbra
Diehard Dungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer

I've been itching to try the last one for awhile now, but finally caved and bought it. Rhythm/roguelike combo now that I'm pretty much burned out on The Binding of Isaac.

NamiraWilhelm

I'm bored of DA:I and now I'm gameless >.<

Fabulous game but I'm really struggling to do a second playthrough. Given how much differentiation there should be I should bang out several playthroughs easily but it's just monotonous for me :/ Can't even finish my cannon playthrough because bugs are stopping me completing the collections... oh well. At least I finally got to romance Cullen.

Being gameless is like... being stuck in limbo for me...

DepravedFurball

I'm bored of DA:I and now I'm gameless >.<

I feel yah.

I put 135 hours into my initial play-through... and I was left wanting afterwards.

All the time I sunk into cultivating alliances, upgrading different things, following sub-quests and whatnot... it all amounted to nothing.

Where was the defense of the keep I struggled to fix, like in DA: Origins - Awakening? Seriously, I was expecting to survive wave after wave of increasingly bad-arsed demons... and all I got was a final boss-battle that didn't make use of my alliances at all. >.<

And there's one other thing that's keeping me from pursuing secondary play-throughs... namely, the ease of the game itself. All encounters are simple, and you never feel overwhelmed... which is utter crap. Even the large-scale war-zones are broken up into easily-digestible groups.

*le sigh*

Its unfortunate that I got my hopes up so much. While I did get a massive amount of glee (Morrigan lookin' sexier than ever), and the game definitely served to expand that unique universe... I just don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to complete a second run. The tedium of scouring the countryside for collectables without enough combat to break up the monotony would simply weigh far too heavily on my mind.

Thus, I went with a slightly more safe option, and picked up FarCry 4. Shooting people in the face with a bow will never get old. Plus, elephants.

surewhynot

I feel yah.

I put 135 hours into my initial play-through... and I was left wanting afterwards.

All the time I sunk into cultivating alliances, upgrading different things, following sub-quests and whatnot... it all amounted to nothing.

Where was the defense of the keep I struggled to fix, like in DA: Origins - Awakening? Seriously, I was expecting to survive wave after wave of increasingly bad-arsed demons... and all I got was a final boss-battle that didn't make use of my alliances at all. >.<

And there's one other thing that's keeping me from pursuing secondary play-throughs... namely, the ease of the game itself. All encounters are simple, and you never feel overwhelmed... which is utter crap. Even the large-scale war-zones are broken up into easily-digestible groups.

*le sigh*

Its unfortunate that I got my hopes up so much. While I did get a massive amount of glee (Morrigan lookin' sexier than ever), and the game definitely served to expand that unique universe... I just don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to complete a second run. The tedium of scouring the countryside for collectables without enough combat to break up the monotony would simply weigh far too heavily on my mind.

Thus, I went with a slightly more safe option, and picked up FarCry 4. Shooting people in the face with a bow will never get old. Plus, elephants.

If you liked Origins you could check out Divinity Original Sin. Also Wasteland 2 if you enjoy the post-apocalyptic scene. Those two are pretty great CRPGs akin to Origins that came out this year.