Fasting to cure mental illness

Sure_whynot

Idk if theirs some specific illness your talking about.

But starving yourself is probably not the answer.

WeirdGirl

Does it make any sense to you?

well yeah it does.
I'm really into the east asian approach to nutrition, as this has helped with physical illness in the past. I was just looking through my books on the subject of various mental illness, and it's main recomendation was fasting. beleiving that when peole get ill they commonly look for something to take to get better, when their bodies actually decrease appetite... hmmmm!

NormanBates

I've gotten sick a few times to where I really and most seriously did not want to eat.
And whenever I did try to eat, every food just tasted awful. Despicably horrendous. Even my usual favorite foods. And during those sicknesses which lasted 2 - 3 days I would only drink liquids because that was seriously all I wanted. When it was over, my appetite mysteriously came back and business went on as usual. With increased appetite of course.

Lea

Banned
Fasting is supposed to be good for everything, if done right. I once fasted 7 days. I´ve read that after 3 days the hunger feeling should disappear, but in my case it didn´t, I was terribly tortured by hunger the whole week. I wanted to fast more but had to give it up because due to hunger I couldn´t concentrate on anything. But one woman I know said she fasted about a month and had no hunger at all.
If someone of you decides to try, I would like to know how it goes, let me know.

One thing I forgot to say, when I was having a surgery I was about 16 days on parenteral nutrition, I didn´t even drink during this time. In the end due to this not only my body complaints were healed like never (until it got messed up again gradually), I was also incredibly calm, not a bundle of nerves like usualy. When I compare the peace I felt with how I am now, it makes me think I am in some half poisoned state (and if I started to take medicines it would make the body polution worse).

worrywort

I've only briefly looked into fasting, but I read that it can have huge health benefits [not sure about mental health benefits specifically? but may very well help]. I think it was the ancient egyptians who would fast for 3 days and nights, once a month, to keep themselves healthy. If you fast for more than about 24-36 hours I think it is, it totally cleans the toxins out of your body, and I read it can make your skin healthier and make your eyes whiter and there was a loads of other benefits that I've forgotten.

You'd have to read up on it again, don't take my word on any of this, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if it did have mental health benefits. Fasting was massively common in ancient cultures. But one little tip if you're gonna try it.....take it easy!.....I tried it last year...I only got to about 36 hours I think and it was one of the worst feelings I've ever felt in a long time. My whole mind and body felt totally depleted and sick. It was horrible. So I'd start with just, maybe, a 5-10 hour fast to start with, and build from there.

Danfalc

Banned
I'm really into the east asian approach to nutrition, as this has helped with physical illness in the past. I was just looking through my books on the subject of various mental illness, and it's main recomendation was fasting. beleiving that when peole get ill they commonly look for something to take to get better, when their bodies actually decrease appetite... hmmmm!

Im really ignorant when it comes to knowing anything about eastern/asian aproaches to treating illnesses.But just on my own reasoning i dont think fasting would help...if anything i think maybe it would make you worse.After all we need to eat to keep our strength up to fight off illness and stuff.The brain needs energy to function proerly aswell...I have an eating disorder and i know when i dont eat properly it makes me ten times worse.

Maybe fasting for a few days might do you some good if its like a detox for your body and then you go on to eat more healthily.But still i think its streching it.I think we get less hungry when were ill is because our body just isnt functioning 100%,our sex drive weakens,our motivation in general does.I think thats why our appetite does rather than it being a reason to fast.

This is all just my personal opinion,i dont claim to be any sort of expert or have knowledge or know any better than your books :)

Thelema

Cavemen fasted all the time...food was hard to find. They didn't live very long and they had bad teeth. Are supermodels superhuman specimens of physical perfection?

An athlete might consume 13,000 calories a day. Your body might consume 1500. Who is healthier?

Food isn't the enemy

Lea

Banned
I think every body functions a bit differently. I keep wondering why I have the stomach problems all the time even when I try good diets and there are people who seem to eat 10 times worse and say they have no complaints.

Sure_whynot

Sorry to flame, but this is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read.

your traditional asian approach is nice... but were in the year 2009. Check the internet, see a doctor.

--
Whoever told a story about someone fasting for a month, and then said if anyone tries it then you'd be interested to hear about it... Comon, seriously?
Way to turn people into human test subjects... With the descriptions your giving people are just going to stop eating and end up getting sick or hurting themselves.

----

Were not cavemen, whoever made that brilliant comparison. Were modern humans that need food regularly.

----

There were a few logical people here... good job. Dont try fasting randomly, its more complex then anyone here's explained.

----

I could only get half way before I had to stop reading and say some of these things. Dont fast, be smart, try using common scene? Good day. Also dont mean to hurt anyones feelings, I just dont want anyone trying this junk and getting hurt. Starving your brain & body from nutrients can have very severe permanent effects.

Lea

Banned
I don´t believe anyone could get hurt by fasting - a nonsense. Or perhaps just may be temporarily not well. There are so many things which hurt much more like bad eating, medicines... and strange nobody makes fuss about it. Same like people being angry at anorectics for doing themselves damage but nobody would ever say a word to a severely overweight person. Besides, when fasting the condition should first deteriorate which is called cleansing crisis - the accumulated poisons get into your system. So it is not due to the actual fasting, but due to the toxins accumulated before.

worrywort

wow, I'm quite surprised there are so many people who are opposed to the idea of fasting!....I mean, I could be wrong, I don't know enough about the subject, but I was under the impression that it's a perfectly healthy and common practice to participate in, so long as it's done sensibly.

anyway, here's some links that might help clear up the issue a little
Fasting Diet
Health Update: Fasting is good for you - Health News, Health & Wellbeing - The Independent
Nutritional Program for Fasting - Elson M. Haas M.D. - HealthWorld Online

I think if fasting for longer that 3 days you should seek medical supervision, and of course you'd have to go careful and be sensible, but if you do it right it's supposed to detoxicate your body, as well as having many other health benefits.

p.s. the last link is really long, I only skimmed through it, so I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.

SickJoke

Fasting helps if your diet is bad to begin with, because you won't be eating any processed, artificial crap. Instead of fasting, try just cutting out the bad stuff. For the most part I strictly eat lean meat and veggies, with the occasional whole grains.

whatever your viewpoints, people
fasting sure as hell isn't going to CURE any mental illness