Fasting to cure mental illness

striker

My knowledge of fasting comes from Yoga and Ayurvedic philosophy (YAP). Also I have done the 10 day Master cleanse where all you drink is pretty much lemon juice.

Fasting increases your nervous energy, so it is not recommended for people who are already having excess nervous energy.

One of the reasons people get anxiety is that they weren't eating their meals on time.
Do this for a while and increase your stress over a period of time. All that nervous energy accumulates in the body and leads to problems such as these found on this website.

btw, the nervous energy that I am referring to is called Vata in Ayurveda. To balance it, you eat warm, somewhat heavy food regularly. Vata is light, cold and dry.
So to counter it, you need warm, heavy and fluid. Hence warm soups are good for it.

I am keep typing on this stuff... its going to take me for ever. But I highly recommend reading an Ayurvedic book and once you get the fundamentals.. it will blow your mind.
Its a simple medical abstraction that can show you how to fix your health issues using one's diet and habits.

Thelema

My knowledge of fasting comes from Yoga and Ayurvedic philosophy (YAP). Also I have done the 10 day Master cleanse where all you drink is pretty much lemon juice.

Fasting increases your nervous energy, so it is not recommended for people who are already having excess nervous energy.

One of the reasons people get anxiety is that they weren't eating their meals on time.
Do this for a while and increase your stress over a period of time. All that nervous energy accumulates in the body and leads to problems such as these found on this website.

btw, the nervous energy that I am referring to is called Vata in Ayurveda. To balance it, you eat warm, somewhat heavy food regularly. Vata is light, cold and dry.
So to counter it, you need warm, heavy and fluid. Hence warm soups are good for it.

I am keep typing on this stuff... its going to take me for ever. But I highly recommend reading an Ayurvedic book and once you get the fundamentals.. it will blow your mind.
Its a simple medical abstraction that can show you how to fix your health issues using one's diet and habits.

Where's the science? Sounds like a bunch of superstitions to me

NormanBates

Is this a critical point in society? Do we need a new kind of education curriculum in school? Maybe have a panel of government appointed people to test this out to decide if it's something good to teach to people so they aren't so apt to develop these kinds of issues?

Last edited:

Thelema

Is this a critical point in society? Do we need a new kind of education curriculum in school? Maybe have a panel of government appointed people to test this out to decide if it's something good to teach to people so they aren't so apt to develop these kinds of issues?

Science is the answer

WeirdGirl

Science is the answer

You make some interesting points and I'm pleased you believe so strongly in your argument, but remember some of the best scientist, once thought the world was flat, my mind stays open ;) but for now i'll be choosing the path that has helped my condition thus far.

WeirdGirl

Which books do you find to be the best on this??

I was under the impression that the east beleive that weak kidney energy is responsible for anxiety and nervousness. Hmmmm

striker

You could be right about that. It seems like chinese medicine.
What causes that?

-----------
Eastern medicine can further divided into Indian (Ayurveda), Chinese (TCM), Japanese (macrobiotic) etc
Each of these philosophies have similar leanings.

Read books by David Frawley on Ayurveda.

You can actually find the "Ayurveda Encyclopedia" online if you know how to look for torrents. That book alone has enough information to give you about 2/3 years worth of information.

It took me a while to get the basic concepts. Once you do, it falls into place. Its a simple theory but all encompassing. Pretty similar to ying/yang theory but on a different abstraction scale.

Everything in the body is divided into 3 major energies (not the proper word).
Vata. Pitta and Kapha. You can also read about it online on some sites and do tests which show what your traits are and where you are imbalanced.

I can tell you that SA is having too much Vata energy. It is light, moves too much, kinda like the wind. Nervous energy falls in this category. Like Imagine how one feels when one is shaking. The main site of this energy is the Long intestine.

What is Vata dosha to give you some idea.

striker

you are right about the kidney yin deficiency.

http://tinyurl.com/c96gka

I think the Jing in TCM refers to the Ojas in Ayurveda. They give one immunity, stamina etc

I did a treatment with a macrobiotic guy for 2 months. Then due to relocation I could not continue that diet.

But I will explore TCM (Tradiional Chinese Medicine) and learn about it as much as I can.
Let me know if you need understandings Ayurvedic Concepts.

Thelema

You make some interesting points and I'm pleased you believe so strongly in your argument, but remember some of the best scientist, once thought the world was flat, my mind stays open ;) but for now i'll be choosing the path that has helped my condition thus far.

Actually scientists were the ones that came up with the idea that the Earth was a sphere::p:

Society took a long to come around to the idea that a scientist can know better than some guy proclaiming that the Bible said it was flat and therefore it was. So it was evidence piling up against some guy that knew nothing...like it is with fasting and other weird beliefs like these. If we didn't have pictures of our spherical Earth taken from space, I'm sure people clinging to their old beliefs would still be arguing it was flat.

Last edited:

striker

Science is awesome. A capitalistic model thrives on growth. That applies to medicine too.
Human personalities and medical companies are driven by human psychology. Dig a little deeper into the whole medical/pharmaceutical industry. It is kinda sad that most doctors have become glorified salesmen. My experience as well as interacting with doctors on a personal level has confirmed this to me. Most doctors don't care about the patient. If they don't have a cure or knowledge about something, they will still treat you, cause its profitable.
Do you then blame Science for this. I don't think so, cause Science is a body of knowledge, where as doctors, companies have a profit motive behind them.
So framing the medical industry to be on par with Science is incorrect.

Also try to think about the direction that Science takes. It is driven by the same profit induced industry. Do you think if Science finds a cure for cancer which costs less than a $1, they will let it out?

There are a few books on such a counter point written by Doctors who are tired of such a system. Explore them and think about it. Similarly, Imagine a system of medicine which works but isn't part of the western medical money machine. How is that beneficial to the medical powers that run the current system. Especially when such a counter medical system uses simple natural herbs which aren't as expensive as synthetic drugs which can be priced as much as medical fraternity decides.

In such a growth driven world, Science gets watered down. I am talking about the practical application of techniques that Science gives us.

I have personally used Ayurveda to treat my Acid Reflux and Back pain. This did not involve using drugs. In fact, i used things we find in our kitchen to treat them. Now do I need a 'Scientific study' to confirm these findings, before I try substances i find in my kitchen?

Explore eastern medical philosophies and try to understand them if you can. Its not easy, but there abstractions and terminology are different from what we are used it. Once you 'get' them, your worldview will shake at the foundations.

Last edited:

cosmosis

Striker,

Ha exactly, I was just about to write something just like that. You beat me to it.

What most people consider 'science' is filtered through government and corporations. If you don't believe me, just go look at the food pyramid :) There are raw scientific findings, but we don't really see that. What we see is the money driven interpretation of that.

Doctors are not scientists..that's almost laughable. They are essentially glorified sales people like striker said. They work for the insurance and drug companies. And the insurance and drug companies are money driven entities.

The 'scientific research' that you hear about is usually done by the corporations for drug or profit finding or the government on behalf of corporations. They could care less about the big picture or truth. In fact, there is much more money to be made if you can break it down into small parts and treat every little part seperate.

You won't find insurance doctors advocating fasting because there's no money in it and it takes away from their business, plus they would lose their insurance because it's not what the drug and insurance companies want.

Thelema, if you are going to be a cynic, which is good, atleast be consistent.

Last edited:

WeirdGirl

You could be right about that. It seems like chinese medicine.
What causes that?

-----------
Eastern medicine can further divided into Indian (Ayurveda), Chinese (TCM), Japanese (macrobiotic) etc
Each of these philosophies have similar leanings.

Read books by David Frawley on Ayurveda.

I can tell you that SA is having too much Vata energy. It is light, moves too much, kinda like the wind. Nervous energy falls in this category. Like Imagine how one feels when one is shaking. The main site of this energy is the Long intestine.

What is Vata dosha to give you some idea.

Coffee, alcohol, sugar, tobacco are the main ones that deplete the kidneys of yin.
You are right the concepts to ayurveda sound allot like the concepts of traditional chinese medicine, they beleive that external elements (heat, cold, wind & damp) can enter the body and create imbalances. Vata energy sounds allot like wind in TCM.

thanks muchly for the tip :D
sounds like an interesting read!

Look for scientific backing of these mysterious "toxins" in our bodies that are supposedly the cause of all our problems. We all have weird substances that shouldn't be there, but that doesn't mean they're killing us and it doesn't mean starving yourself gets rid of them.

That study is suspicious to me. I suspect that an active person burning more calories from activity is going to be healthier than a person that eats less and never gets off the couch. Jack Lalanne works out 2 hours a day and he's in his 90s and healthy as ever

Well these toxins are things like alkaloids, which plants make to try to prevent being eaten by animals or insects, and to poison other nearby plants. And part of the function of the liver is to detoxify them by making them more water-soluble so they can be excreted.

While it's true we selected plants for farming based on how well we could digest them, it's possible they still have an effect, if nothing else in keeping the liver busy. Why not try giving it a break and see what happens? That's scientific!

I don't think anyone claimed that toxins were the cause of all our problems. And just because the new agers are into detoxing, or that scams have arisen around it, doesn't mean there's not a basis for it.

And yes those studies on calorie restriction are also scientific. They're not claiming that they're healthier, just that they live longer. It also makes sense evolutionarily - if your food supply disappears, you're better off it your metabolism slows down so you will survive till it reappears. And a side effect of that might be living longer (at least if you're living safely in a cage).

Thelema

Striker,

Ha exactly, I was just about to write something just like that. You beat me to it.

What most people consider 'science' is filtered through government and corporations. If you don't believe me, just go look at the food pyramid :) There are raw scientific findings, but we don't really see that. What we see is the money driven interpretation of that.

Doctors are not scientists..that's almost laughable. They are essentially glorified sales people like striker said. They work for the insurance and drug companies. And the insurance and drug companies are money driven entities.

The 'scientific research' that you hear about is usually done by the corporations for drug or profit finding or the government on behalf of corporations. They could care less about the big picture or truth. In fact, there is much more money to be made if you can break it down into small parts and treat every little part seperate.

You won't find insurance doctors advocating fasting because there's no money in it and it takes away from their business, plus they would lose their insurance because it's not what the drug and insurance companies want.

Thelema, if you are going to be a cynic, which is good, atleast be consistent.

That is a very paranoid vision of our post industrial society. I am not going to argue with you whether the Government and corporations are deliberately causing pain and suffering to millions of people for money. I'm not going to dignify paranoid delusions with a response.

It's as if you're telling me the Earth is a cube and the Government has convinced us it's a sphere...I'm not even going to argue with you

Last edited:

Thelema

Well these toxins are things like alkaloids, which plants make to try to prevent being eaten by animals or insects, and to poison other nearby plants. And part of the function of the liver is to detoxify them by making them more water-soluble so they can be excreted.

While it's true we selected plants for farming based on how well we could digest them, it's possible they still have an effect, if nothing else in keeping the liver busy. Why not try giving it a break and see what happens? That's scientific!

I don't think anyone claimed that toxins were the cause of all our problems. And just because the new agers are into detoxing, or that scams have arisen around it, doesn't mean there's not a basis for it.

And yes those studies on calorie restriction are also scientific. They're not claiming that they're healthier, just that they live longer. It also makes sense evolutionarily - if your food supply disappears, you're better off it your metabolism slows down so you will survive till it reappears. And a side effect of that might be living longer (at least if you're living safely in a cage).

Because they tested healthy people that fast against equivalent people that don't fast and they were equally as healthy.

The question isn't really if these "toxins" exist, but that fasting will increase your health. There is no evidence that it does

Yes more studies need to be done before you change the way you live your life in hopes of living longer. The effects of exercise will make a huge difference in the health of a human and that was a factor that wasn't studied in the monkeys.

Last edited:

Thelema

Science is awesome. A capitalistic model thrives on growth. That applies to medicine too.
Human personalities and medical companies are driven by human psychology. Dig a little deeper into the whole medical/pharmaceutical industry. It is kinda sad that most doctors have become glorified salesmen. My experience as well as interacting with doctors on a personal level has confirmed this to me. Most doctors don't care about the patient. If they don't have a cure or knowledge about something, they will still treat you, cause its profitable.
Do you then blame Science for this. I don't think so, cause Science is a body of knowledge, where as doctors, companies have a profit motive behind them.
So framing the medical industry to be on par with Science is incorrect.

Also try to think about the direction that Science takes. It is driven by the same profit induced industry. Do you think if Science finds a cure for cancer which costs less than a $1, they will let it out?

There are a few books on such a counter point written by Doctors who are tired of such a system. Explore them and think about it. Similarly, Imagine a system of medicine which works but isn't part of the western medical money machine. How is that beneficial to the medical powers that run the current system. Especially when such a counter medical system uses simple natural herbs which aren't as expensive as synthetic drugs which can be priced as much as medical fraternity decides.

In such a growth driven world, Science gets watered down. I am talking about the practical application of techniques that Science gives us.

I have personally used Ayurveda to treat my Acid Reflux and Back pain. This did not involve using drugs. In fact, i used things we find in our kitchen to treat them. Now do I need a 'Scientific study' to confirm these findings, before I try substances i find in my kitchen?

Explore eastern medical philosophies and try to understand them if you can. Its not easy, but there abstractions and terminology are different from what we are used it. Once you 'get' them, your worldview will shake at the foundations.

If you're in a car accident, feel free to limp on over to your faith healer with your guts hanging out and your spine broken; I will go to the hospital to a team of highly trained surgeons. We'll see who fairs better. I will gladly fuel the capitalist system with my mended guts and spine. I fear eating light cool foods won't do much to stop the blood loss, much less fix your spine...those things can be tricky

Fairy001

I don't think fasting will solve most illness, certainly not MH problems. With depression and alike we need regular energy in the form of food. I agree, it is important not to stuff ourselves full of crap food. If your main diet is burgers and chips then I am sure fasting would be good to rid your body of all the salt and toxins. However, if you eat a good balanced diet, you would be better to stick to that.

I have fasted for 3 days before, I believe it evoked mania! I have also done the Atkins Diet, after 3 days was very mentally unwell.

My Mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, she stopped eating completely. It sped up her death by several months. No cure there.

Peace