Ever since I got a job

UnderTheBoughs

Ever since I got a job, about 3 weeks ago now, it's like I just live day to day. Not because of money or anything. I work in the evenings, so every day it's always "I have x hours before work..." and that's now as far ahead as I sort of... 'live'. It's really bugging me.

When I was still unemployed, I felt like I had long-term goals and stuff. Now I just sort of, like I said live each day and that's it, and I feel like I never have time, which is stupid because I barely work full time (20 hours per week, according to JobCentre 16 or more is full time). I want it to be like before when I didn't worry about what I was going to do because I had nothing but free time. Now it's like I am always thinking "What can I do in the x hours before I go to work", and I stay up to the early hours of morning just to put off going to work, which is stupid again because I don't actually mind the work itself. I am always busy doing something so it's not as though it's boring or anything, but it always seems like an ordeal in the time leading up to leaving the house.

Even combating my shyness/anxiety issues has been completely dropped. Before, I was seeing a counselor and I was supposed to continue working on things after the progress we made. But it's like I have just forgotten everything.

The other thing as well, which annoys me, is when I was unemployed I was so desperate to get a job, I wanted anything. Now that I have this a job, a cleaning post, I often think "Oh I wish I had a better job". Like, beggars can't be choosers and all that. It's annoying, because before I would have taken anything I could have gotten, and now I feel bad for desiring something better.

In any case, I have felt enormously better about myself in general since becoming employed, but yesterday I saw someone I knew from school who works at the same place (but different job) and he asked how I was doing and it brought everything back and I felt really down again. After he asked about uni and I told him I dropped out, I just felt like a failure again and everything was put back into focus such as not having any social life, friends, never having a relationship, etc.

I have just thought, is this how everyone with a job lives? Like day to day without any goals, ambitions, dreams?

Ashiene

It is same for me. If I have to work or school in the later half of the day, I spend the entire morning and early afternoon either dreading it or find that I can't get the energy to do anything at all.

hidwell

I don't work, but when I did have a job it was definitely like I was on the treadmill, the daily grind. Unless you are doing a job which stimulates your senses and you actually enjoy, it feels like ground hog day.

Hoppy

I work 60 hours a week.

You haven't worked before, you need time to adjust properly.

The important thing is to get the time management sorted and figure out where your priorities is. Get a notice board of some kind and start writing down what you do and when. Then purge all the time wasters.

MrSunday

I work 37.5 hours per week. I work in accounts and I hate it. I don't hate accounting as a subject. I just hate the workplace. I'm an apprentice and only earn ****in £2.60 per hour. That's a ****in disgrace. I'm not asking to be paid in millions but geez, £2.60? WHAT THE ****! It makes me so angry. How the hell I'm supposed to live when I only earn £2.60? It pisses' me off and motivates me to complete my qualification, gain experience and find a job where my employer pays me the national minimum wage. That's all I want.

When I was unemployed, I really wanted a job. Now that I have a job, I just want the national minimum wage so I can get on with my life. The apprentice minimum wage is absolutely ridiculous.

Ignace

I work 37.5 hours per week. I work in accounts and I hate it. I don't hate accounting as a subject. I just hate the workplace. I'm an apprentice and only earn ****in £2.60 per hour. That's a ****in disgrace. I'm not asking to be paid in millions but geez, £2.60? WHAT THE ****! It makes me so angry. How the hell I'm supposed to live when I only earn £2.60? It pisses' me off and motivates me to complete my qualification, gain experience and find a job where my employer pays me the national minimum wage. That's all I want.

When I was unemployed, I really wanted a job. Now that I have a job, I just want the national minimum wage so I can get on with my life. The apprentice minimum wage is absolutely ridiculous.

I did 2 years of internship and got paid exactly €0,00. This year I did logistics and it's hard physical work which they should pay, because their motivation of free work is to gain experience. But if it's just breaking your back you should earn money. There's nothing to learn from working in logistics. ::p:

WeirdyMcGee

You can still have longterm goals while you're working.
Work-- and that feeling of living day to day was what kept me going as a younger person. During the school year in highschool, I worked 60 hours a week and in the summer with my 3 jobs, it was closer to 120.
Working so much allowed little time for me to sit around and think about how depressed I was-- unlike now; being unemployed and unable to work and with NO money... it's a big life change; just like I imagine it is for you to be working suddenly.

It takes some time to adjust and figure out how to re-arrange your long term goals to fit this new lifestyle.

dyingtolive

20 hours a week is good. like hoppy said, he works 60 hours a week. You just gotta get used to it.

I work about 45-50+ hours a week.
And some ppl can have full time jobs, families, hobbies, and dreams at the side. I'm not so good at it that's why i am thinking about working a less hectic job.

Now that u do have a job, now's a time you can get to think about your dreams, and realize that you have to squeeze them in. And hopefully it will help you to act on them as well... 20 hours a week is a good balance to do other things while still making money...

Heres something i found just now:

coca-cola.jpg

Boby

Well I got only 0.75 per hour when I worked as an engineer apprentice and it was at an multinational microelectronics company,but not even now I don't do to well,I get only 10 euros per hour for only 10 hours per week.
But I agree those wages are to god damn small.

karl:-/

Ever since o lost my job I've noticed the amount of times stuff has risen in price but neva your pay packet :-/ I want to work but with HH nd pay so low.. Bollocks! to that.

da_illest101

Same for me, if I work in the morning I count how many hours I have until I have to go to sleep.

I just hate working period. It doesn't matter what type of job it is, I'll never enjoy it

Bustn Justin

I work 45-50 hours a week and still find time to goof off.

In uni I had a part time job and would have to come in at 5PM and would think that my day is wasted. During the summer months I would go into work till 10, go home , stay up until 5 AM, sleep, get up in the afternoon, then work again.

bcsr

I had a job I DESPISED for almost 3 years,. It was basically the same for me.
I kind of like my current job, though. :D

MrSunday

Well I got only 0.75 per hour when I worked as an engineer apprentice and it was at an multinational microelectronics company,but not even now I don't do to well,I get only 10 euros per hour for only 10 hours per week.
But I agree those wages are to god damn small.

WHAT? O_O 0:75? That's disgusting.

Low wage motivates me to turn to crime at times. I will only consider this if I were to be made homeless and have nothing to lose. I will do whatever I please if I'm made homeless and will not tolerate being mistreated, like other homeless people. Suicide can be an option too, don't care what other people think.

Once my parents die, I will be broke if I don't get a better job. Most likely I will commit suicide than turn to crime.

ありがとう

No it's perfectly normal to feel this way. You're so used to doing nothing that now you're working (and probably tired from it too) you haven't really adjusted to it. Its only been 3 weeks - give it a few months! And it's okay for wanting a better job, I am not surprised why, it must get tedious for you! But any job is better than being unemployed at this economy now. You can search for a better job whilst you work. Keep your chin up! :) As for dreams, goals and ambition... Some people who work has them, some don't. It's your choice to have them or not.

I'm going to start a job in the summer and I'm going to have to work 5 days per week and start at 9:00. I'm going to be making $10.75 an hour part time so it's not completely horrible. I much prefer working in the morning, though.

coyote

i worked evenings for many years - it does suck the life out of you - hard to do anything else but worry about work, get ready for work, unwind from work, and sleep

i managed to work my way to the top of my profession - had a household income well over six figures - nice house in the city, couple of sports cars

but the stress of it all was killing me

so i gave it all up* - career, income, spouse, cars, house, family....

moved to a quiet coastal resort village and got a job that just covers my living expenses

life is good

*that's my story, and i'm sticking to it

Last edited:

Yes We Can

I definitely know the feeling. I hate going to my job, although I'm thankful I have one. It's really stressful walking into a room full of people and having to wait until I'm handed my work assignment, then I can hit the road and get to it.
I'm always tired, I fall asleep on the subway on my way to work, on my way home, and if I sit down for too long during the day while making deliveries I tend to fall asleep. I think some of it is due to stress. I too, prefer to work in the earlier part of the day. just recently I started back doing some of the things I enjoy, such as going for walks, sitting in the park, etc.. until now I just pretty much worked, went home, eat sleep, get up... repeat cycle.. Lol.
and Coyote, that sounds really cool, the trade off that you described, sounds like something I would like.. and hopefully at some point I can freelance/work for myself..

Richey

I remember working in a few offices. I used to get some nasty panic attack. I would receive a heap of emails asking for such and such to be completed asap and i would literally panic that my stomach would start to get really loud so the whole office would hear then i had to walk out of the office just to get oxygen.

i have no idea how people can put up with that sort of job environment for years like robots without going loopy. Perhaps i am just overly sensitive but i found certain things daunting and other things ok to handle.

trust me, so called distinguished jobs are overated and you'll only ever get paid well if you reach management, in those so called distinguished, so called professional jobs.

Last edited: