Does Your Emotions Always Show In Your Face?

theoutsider

How good at you at hiding your emotions? I must admit I am terrible at it. Whatever I'm feeling shows in my facial expression. So, I can never pretend to be happy when I am really pissed about something. Or if somebody is creeping me out it shows as well no matter how much I try to appear normal. This has never been a problem for me, I just thought it would be interesting to see how many others have problems hiding their true emotions. :giggle:

Raichel

Oooh yes. Definitely a yes. Unlike you, I've experienced quite a few problematic situations where I wasn't able to control my, erm, facial muscles. Being tactful isn't my strongest suit I guess.

It's just, whenever I feel unhappy about something I -cannot- hide it, not even if I wanted to. My entire face and body language seem to be oozing disapproval. People who are closer to me - and not too easily offended I guess - teasingly refer to it as 'Raichel's do not want face .jpg'

ffeev223234

my facial expressions remains the same and the only question i'm only asked when they attempt to begin a conversation would be, "Why so serious?"

Not all of my emotions show on my face all the time, but I do find it hard to hide when I am feeling a lot of misery of any sort. It gets especially difficult at work, where I have to be smiley and cheery all the time and if I just don't feel like it, when my managers aren't around I make the bare minimal effort because it feels horrendously fake :idontknow:

SmileMore

I always get told to smile or people ask if i'm ok even when i don't feel particularly sad. I must just look miserable.

JuiceB

I always get told to smile or people ask if i'm ok even when i don't feel particularly sad. I must just look miserable.
I tend to have the "miserable face" too. Smiling for me doesn't work well because it's always forced.

theoutsider

Oooh yes. Definitely a yes. Unlike you, I've experienced quite a few problematic situations where I wasn't able to control my, erm, facial muscles. Being tactful isn't my strongest suit I guess.

It's just, whenever I feel unhappy about something I -cannot- hide it, not even if I wanted to. My entire face and body language seem to be oozing disapproval. People who are closer to me - and not too easily offended I guess - teasingly refer to it as 'Raichel's do not want face .jpg'

I used to think I was hiding my emotions pretty well but my friends would always come up to me later and say things like, "I could tell you didn't like that at all because of the look on your face."

I can be very happy or so upset I'm having to mentally restrain myself from doing something stupid and I still have a blank facial expression. More of a sarcastic smirk.

dottie

yeah, my emotions are usually obvious on my face...

which makes me feel vulnerable and out of control... a major contributor to anxiety. i can exert a LOT of energy trying to maintain a friendly face when really i feel social anxiety/ptsd (= threatened = fight/flight response = want to be anywhere but there = painfully uncomfortable = unhappy). it is very tiring trying to wear an adaptive "mask."

Subpop

People will comment that I look either unwell/very tired or anxious. However, I have been told over the years that I have a somewhat infectious laugh and I can usually make anyone laugh about something. I think sometimes I experience something like mania....very rarely but when I do I like to provoke people into laughing

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I always thought it did, but I get the "it's easy for you because you have no emotions" comment a lot, so I guess it doesn't.

Predacon

I'm pretty relaxed around my family. With strangers I generally keep a straight face most of the time, the only time my emotions might show is when I get flustered or embarrassed, though I try to smile when I'm thanking them for something to show its geniune.

LoyalXenite

Sometimes my emotions are very plain on my face, but then sometimes im really good at faking a smile so people leave me alone... only two people have ever been able to see through my fake smile, its quite good.