Do you use Facebook? Are you for or against it?

Do you use Facebook?

• Yes. It's great! I get to post pictures and boast about my social life!

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I have an account but only to keep in touch with a few people.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I have an account but i hardly ever use it.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • No. Facebook is a waste of time.

Votes: 28 20.0%

• Total voters

shakethelight

lol. the one thing I do hate about it is those people who think they are "face book famous" one girl really, she posts every detail of her life, and I mean everyyyything on hers. It's odd. but she's on thedirty.com like four times so it's funny.

w*n*c*a*m

I like Facebook. And no, I don't have plenty of friends there. I actually have few. I seldom post. Its main purpose for me is to keep updated with friends, family and acquaintance. I only often use the 'chat' thingy so I don't look active in Facebook at all. It never bothered me if my page looks boring since I only add few people. That's what Facebook is for, isn't it? To connect with friends and not necessarily a popularity contest. LOL

TailsAlone

I had a FB account a few years ago to keep in touch with a long-distance girlfriend. I cancelled it when we broke up, so it lasted about a month. Haven't been back there since. I don't really see what the big deal is, but I guess some people find it interesting.

EitherOr

I use it rather reluctantly. Studies have been done and they found that Facebook does, indeed, depress people, as they see how "great" the lives of others are going.

I use it just to keep in touch with people from college for assignments, that sort of thing. I also keep it for my music profiles to keep people updated. Other than that...

Hastings & Main

Have an account for a year or so now. Kind of off of it for a few days as I'm going through that 'forgotten' feeling you get when friends are posting about all the awesome stuff they're doing and you're not a part of it, but rather facing a lonely apartment and nothing to do on the weekend.
Granted, these friends are either ones who have moved off to other cities/countries or have their own families to do stuff with or there's a noticeable age-difference and they have their own mainstay friends to hang with, but it still offers the same feeling, like being FB'ed-out.

I do sometimes get into a habit of posting 'negative' stuff, but try to catch it before I start a negative-string of posts.
You really want to reach out to people to let them all know what you're going through, but - as coyote said, "very few people have perfect, trouble-free lives. most of us have problems of one kind or another, most of us experience pain and unhappiness.", and sharing your portion of it more than a couple times, or even more than once, can get you a bad rep and maybe even a few unfriendings (or they just unsubscribe and it's like talking to the wind).
If you've ever watched postings by others who share their personal problems, it does come away as depressing and from someone who can't get their act together.
Which is ironic, since they're most likely asking for help in a non-direct manner.

It's not like you CAN'T post something about something bad in your life, but from my FB friends it's usually a once-every-few-months thing and it's always followed by one of their closer friends writing back that they'll give them a call and help them through it.
Something some of us can't expect from our posts.

FB is a happy-place. It's sites like THIS where we can let the demons out, even if our 'friends' on FB won't know about it.

MoonBoom

Where is, "yes because it's a hub for everyone I know and everything I like and makes life easier"

Metal_isthe_Answer

For me, Facebook is useful for following bands I like and finding out if they have a new album out, or are playing in a nearby city, as far as friends, I have a small number, and most are just out of courtesy cause they sent an invite

s17v3r

im a facebook junkie.. nah not one of them that posts there every move but more for the pokies.

coyote

saw this posted on Facebook:

394284_522264157803042_870334683_n.jpg

SmileMore

I used mostly to chat with some people, and may be a couple games if I'm really really bored.

SmileMore: Have you configured your newsfeed to stop receiving all the updates from your contacts and only the ones labeled as "only important"? That reduces significantly the amount of stuff on the newsfeed and makes it less overwhelming.

No, i haven't. I mainly deal with it by hardly ever going on there anymore. ::p:

PhantomPod

I don't talk to very many people on Facebook. I just mainly keep in touch with some family members. I love Facebook though, cause the thing I use Facebook the most for is to look at cute pictures of animals, look at funny pictures, and to follow pages about political issues.

CursedSoul

Banned
*Believe me its a see and follow game, you see someone around your place has FB and you make an account for yourself and find excuses to use it? Its all a new world fashion and a very few people use it for some substantial purpose....!
I bet soon they'd start charging for it once they get assured they've instilled enough addiction into people....and from that day onwards one third of the accounts would be inactive and the real excuses makers would run off for something else free; to nurture their new world fashion....

Flanscho

I stayed away from it until I had to use it because of work.

I do use it now, but I keep a super small friends list. If someone ain't a very close friend of me, I won't accept that friendship. And every few weeks I defriend people who I think don't really matter to me.