Do you like music?

mikebird

Banned
This is not a lame question. How important is music to your life? 1 - 10
Can you use it to put you in a good / bad mood? Anger?
Memories?

How many of these do you have?
MP3s
CDs
Tapes
Vinyl
DATs
MiniDiscs

leave_me_alone

I totally agree with the post above. My music library has around 400GB, so you can imagine thats quite a couple of albums. :)

mikebird

Banned
I like 400Gb. Mine is tiny at 60Gb with all artwork, and vinyl is important, but I have a majority of it waiting to be listened to, and to be rated, and it will take the rest of my life to do that, and I don't think I'll achieve that.

HH

I freaking love music.....good music though. I haven't put all my CDs on my computer due to laziness but my CD collection is decent enough I think. I tend to buy music that I really love nowadays and not so trend driven as maybe I was in my teenage years (also less disposable cash now as well).

leave_me_alone

I like 400Gb. Mine is tiny at 60Gb with all artwork, and vinyl is important, but I have a majority of it waiting to be listened to, and to be rated, and it will take the rest of my life to do that, and I don't think I'll achieve that.

Lots of my albums are in lossless quality (.wav/.flac) and include hi-def artow, thats why it takes so much space. Still, i would say my collection is pretty large.

I would love to have collection of my favorite artists in form of CDs/Vinyls, but i cannot afford it at the moment.

Hastings & Main

Love music. Definite 10. It's a total memory/emotion guide for me.

Right now I have 45,000 files on the PC, about 6,700 vinyl (LP, 7" etc), couple hundred cassettes with no way to play them, and maybe 100 CD's which I rip to the computer anyways.

It's been my positive place to hit whenever I need it, to relax, get out some (or a lot of) anger, reminisce, feel happy etc. For me, no music, no life.

eek

^,^^,^^^.... music can be like an oasis in a desert sometimes

mp3s -- double digit gigs
other formats-- not so much

Lea

Banned
I like music (not all kinds of course), but can happily live without it. I am definitely not a music addict, I listen to it sometimes in my free time but don´t have to listen to it all day.. I don´t know how some play music when they're studying, working (mental work) or even sleeping :eek:.

How important is music to your life? 10!
Can you use it to put you in a good / bad mood? Anger?
Yes, I love to listen to music anytime, I listen to upbeat songs when I'm happy and when I'm sad just slow songs, but I love so many kinds of music.
I especially love music who are created by a real talent, a meaningful song or a nice melody and instruments/solo, or a good lyric to listen to.
And of course a nice beat, is nice too.

Making music with my family and working on some own songs, I love to do that. Or slamming the guitar, finger picking guitar, or playing a melodious piano song.
I looooove to sing, I'm doing a lot of vocals for tracks right now, I just love creating music, it's my passion.

Memories?
Yes, I have a lot of songs I dedicated to someone or a special moment in the past. Or songs I used to listen to, years ago.

I think I should download some songs for my Ipod, So I can listen to some songs again, I just deleted my music library, i will make a new one.
I used to have 992 songs on my ipod, But my iphone can store so much more GB of music.. I will start downloading haha, this topique gave me a great idea :D

KnuffleBunny

10, most definitely. Could not be without music.

I use music to help deal with my emotions sometimes. It helps me gradually cool my anger and also to express emotions I can't seem to let out otherwise.

It's the one thing in my life that can still alter my moods (in a good way) when I am so depressed that nothing else has any affect on me.

Definitely a big 10 :)

I find that it adds a great amount of romance to a very stale/gray way of life. I'd say about 7.

I avert from mp3's because I don't have a MP3/4 player to play them on. To preserve harddrive space, I use YouTube a lot to listen to music. :3

Porcupine

Music is quite important to me. I'd rate it 6 or 7. But silence is also important to me. I like music in some circumstances but not others.

In general if I'm walking in the street I want to hear what's around me, so I don't use my MP3 player while walking. When on the bus (my commute is around 1.5 hours each way) the noise of the bus interferes with the appreciation of music, so I don't listen while on the bus either. So my MP3 player hardly gets used. Also, I can't listen to music and concentrate at work so I don't listen then. I only listen while I'm at home.

I can't guage in GB because I have less than 2GB converted to MP3 (and GB alone is a useless measure because you can use different formats, compress more or less) but last time I counted I had 130 CDs. I have bought quite afew since then so I'd guess 150-170 CDs now. I don't have room for them all in one place now, so they're scattered around three rooms of the house, some in proper containers and some just stacked on shelves, in drawers, hiding behind computers, etc.

Most MP3s that I have were converted from CDs that I own, except for a few that I got off Napster back in the day that are still around but haven't been worth hunting down and buying.

I still have some vinyl but the record player isn't in service anymore.

I still have around 40 cassettes but most of the important ones were upgraded to CD years ago.

Music does help to put me in a good mood. If it puts me in a bad or angry mood I won't listen to it unless I'm already depressed or angry.

Some of it does evoke memories but not most of it. 80s pop tends to evoke memories of high school and college.

Illusions

Music is VERY important to me, so it's a solid 10. I listen to it no matter what mood I'm in. It's therapeutic for me when I'm feeling down, energising when I'm in a good mood, etc.

Last edited: