Do you have friends?

What best describes your relationships with others?

• I have neither acquaintances nor friends.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • I have acquaintances, but no friends.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I have friends, but no acquaintances.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have both acquaintances and friends.

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters

reslo

i have both.... lately, I've been socializing a lot... for me... (about once a week) but usually it's once every couple weeks. i'm hoping to get a job soon, so hopefully, I will have some more acquaintances. I haven't met any new people in the specific town I live in and I've been living there 4 years. Most of my friends are people I knew in high school that didn't go away for college. So i'm thankful for the friends/acquaintances I do have... most i do keep at a distance, which is more me than it is them.

Silvox Black

One true friend, the rest are merely acquaintances. They are intelligent enough yes, but they and I simply have found too many barriers to be able to truly understand each other.

Harleyq

I think when I talk about friends on here, it sounds like I have more than I actually do.

There's my bf, I have one person whom I can call a friend, an old friend from 2nd grade recently started going to campus so I guess I should count him too, although to be perfectly honest, I have a feeling it'll fade away.

There's a busgirl at work who I would like to consider myself friends with as we're alike and we're supportive of eachother but we don't hang out outside of work or talk on the phone. I don't know what to consider her. When I write about her on here, she switches between "my friend" and merely "my coworker"

Then there are the ones I know are acquaintances - people I talk casually with at work, a couple at school.

There's one guy I want to consider my friend because we hung out a LOT last year and he called me his best friend and his sister but he hasn't kept contact with me :confused:

So all in all, two friends including my bf, a couple of people whom my relationships with are vague, and a few acquaintances. That's it.

Last edited:
2 close friends who would do stuff for me if I asked (within reasonable limits)

Over 9000 acquaintances that would randomly bump into me on campus and exchange an awkward hello

This is after my SA improved a lot though.
before university:
1 "friend"
a few acquaintances

Pretty much all acquaintances, no one that I "hang out" with... unless you count online friends and chatting via the internet.

I have one true friend and a few acquaintances. Back in high school I had a group of friends, but it didn't really make me happy, it was just a catch-22. I was always stressing about what they thought of me, if I did something to piss them off, if they were going to stop being friends with me, etc. It is much less stressful having only one friend, but I still have the desire to have more of a social life even though I know it would just stress me out.

Harleyq

This post raises more questions for me. Specifically, are any of you afraid of actually making friends for fear that they'll discover how lonely you really are?

I know this is a definite fear of mine, especially since I'm a college junior. It's suspicious and awkward that someone with 3 years of college under his/her belt hasn't developed even a small group of actual friends that he/she knows and trusts well.

And when an old highschool friend of mine came back, my heart nearly leapt out of my chest. Of all people, this person would be the most embarrassing to admit that I had no one, really.

This post raises more questions for me. Specifically, are any of you afraid of actually making friends for fear that they'll discover how lonely you really are?

I know this is a definite fear of mine, especially since I'm a college junior. It's suspicious and awkward that someone with 3 years of college under his/her belt hasn't developed even a small group of actual friends that he/she knows and trusts well.

And when an old highschool friend of mine came back, my heart nearly leapt out of my chest. Of all people, this person would be the most embarrassing to admit that I had no one, really.

I never really thought about this, but this might very well be one of the reasons that I don't open up to more people. I think it would be very embarrassing for me to admit to anyone that I have no friends, or at the very least, I would (actually already do) feel like a weirdo- and I don't like being the center of attention, especially in a "negative" way.

I have one friend, the guy is like my brother. We have been through alot and have done some stupid (and fun and illegal) things in the past, but we have eachothers back. Some other dudes i hang out with from time to time, i could maybe consider them my friends, like 3 or 4 or 5. Although I would never constantly hang out with them and tell them things going on in my life. Everyone else is an acquaintance. I respect everyone else and they respect me, thats really all i need i guess.

limetree

I have only one close friend who thankfully shares my values in relationships- putting effort into maintaining contact even if it's just online and disliking anything finite, especially if we share a strong bond has successfully persisted. I drifted massively from two other close friends a few years ago, but I've since comes to terms with it without feeling a reoccurring sense of emptiness. Perhaps I could process these things quicker if I were content with fleeting superficial interactions or had less difficulty making new friends. I find this really difficult to admit, but I probably spend more time missing/remembering people than they'd care to give me a second thought.

I have some facebook acquaintances whom I'll never see again since I dropped out of school. I didn't care much for most of these people at the time but I'm prone to wondering what could've been if I'd just shaken off the SA and gotten to know some people better. I'd like to make new friends, hopefully at therapy group next year or tafe, but I'm really not feeling all that optimistic about it. I can only work on solving the problem now to minimise regrets in future.

I never really thought about this, but this might very well be one of the reasons that I don't open up to more people. I think it would be very embarrassing for me to admit to anyone that I have no friends, or at the very least, I would (actually already do) feel like a weirdo- and I don't like being the center of attention, especially in a "negative" way.

I feel the same way but whenever I see someone else with no friends I don't think they have anything to be ashamed of. Sometimes I catch myself projecting my own embarrassment onto them which is unfair considering it is also a brave thing to go certain places on your own and admit your vulnerabilities, especially loneliness bc that can be easily misconstrued as toxic clingyness/dependency when it's actually normal to derive meaning from close relationships.

Luke1993

i used to have friends but not anymore as my insanity has got much worse over the past two years.

I'm not sure but i voted just acquaintances. i don't know if they can be considered acquaintances since i only talk to them once every three weeks or so, and the conversation will last less than a minute.